“the worst hotel of our trip”
Review of Bay Inn and Suites

Bay Inn and Suites
Ranked #252 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I actually booked this place based on mostly positive reviews, but we had a horrible night. There was a profanity laced arguement between a guy staying at the hotel and what looked like one of the strip club dancers from across the street at about 9pm. We hadn't gone to bed yet for the night so we just tried to turn the TV up to block the noise from our kids (there was no remote for the TV). We were woke up at 3:30 am by yet another profane fight from 2 different guests out on the balcony. I called down to the front desk and they promptly took care of the problem. Another group of loud guys who sounded like they had been drinking were loudly talking and laughing until 5am. I didn't get any sleep past the point where we were first woken up at 3:30. In the morning we tried to make hot drinks, but the styrofoam cups that were provided had already been used....and not by us. I went to the front dest to get more and didn't even receive an apology, just a direction to where the breakfast room was where I could pick up more. We had originally booked two nights, but we cancelled our second night stay. The woman at the hotel desk couldn't have been less interested in our reasons for cutting our stay short. Very unfriendly. I have never written a bad hotel review before. We are on a budget and often stay at economy hotels when we travel so I don't feel like I have "Ritz" expectations....just a pleasant nights sleep in a clean room. I understand that every place will have an occasional rude or out-of-control guest who wakes others up.....but 3 in one night was a bit much...it made me wonder about what kind of guests book this place. I also don't expect groveling from those who work in the service industry, I understand mistakes happen to anyone, but to not once even get a simple apology seemed out right rude. We made last minute changes to our trip plans and high tailed it out of there. The next night we stayed someone $30 cheaper and 10 times nicer.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MsRaeJ
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Hi MsRaeJ - You are right, you deserve an apology. I am so sorry you endured such bad night and were not treated with appropriate care - that is unacceptable. I'll tell you with sincerity that wild, loud guests are the exception to the rule. Those guests don't do us any favors - your review is proof of that - and we did ask several guests to leave this last week. Unfortunately, it sounds as though that happened too late. I am very sorry that you left as I know we could have made your stay better. The breakfast room is always stocked with clean cups, plates, napkins, etc. In fact, keeping a clean comfortable space for our guests is our number one priority. I am sorry that wasn't made clear when you were looking for cups at breakfast; I'm sorry you weren't treated the way you deserved to be. If ever we're missing something you're looking for - don't hesitate to ask us, as we'll do everything we can to get you what you need. Again, I am so sorry you had a bad experience and hope you will give us another shot. We are walking distance to lots of nice restaurants and minutes from great family fun - SeaWorld, the Zoo, Balboa Park, Mission Beach! Send me a note directly and I'd be happy to help you if you'd like to try us again. Or if you'd just like to tell me more about your experience so we can improve our service, please do: nicole@bayinnsandiego.com.
Thank you!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

It's not the Ritz, but it's just fine for what we were looking for. We were in the area for a concert and this hotel is a short walk from the arena. Yes, the rooms are old and a bit run down but it was quiet, safe and, for the inexpensive rate we paid, I'm not complaining. There is a Target & Ralphs across the street, very convenient in case you forgot something or want to buy food/water to keep in the room fridge. There is an IHOP right next door so we didn't have a chance to check out the free continental breakfast that the hotel offered. The room itself was just big enough to fit the king size bed, night stands, a small desk and TV cabinet. I didn't notice the carpeting, like some of the other reviewers but I did notice the staples holding the wallpaper together in the bathroom. I had no problems sleeping on the bed, and I am one of those who always have difficulty sleeping in hotel beds, regardless of the hotel chain. There is a small in-room safe if you want to store your valuables when you are away. There are no ground level floors but at least the elevator was centralized to all the rooms. The parking is mostly covered, which I liked! Yes, it is directly across the street from a strip club but you'd never know it (no mention of nude girls or anything else that I would have been uncomfortable with if my son would have been with me). There were never people hanging outside the club, in fact, if there weren't cars in the parking lot, you would wonder if it was even open! We encountered two people at the front desk and both were friendly. Be prepared, there is an airport nearby so you will hear airplanes early in the morning but I imagine all hotels in the area have the same issue.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheryl B
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Hi Cheryl B.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate all of the feedback. You do a great job describing here what makes our hotel an excellent choice for visitors to San Diego - we're in a safe area, walking distance to the Sports Arena, walking distance to great restaurants and shopping, and everyone you meet here will be nice, hospitable and warm. We would love to have you back here again the next time you're in town. Email me directly and I'll help you with your return guest reservation. Thanks again for staying with us!

All the best,

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Clerk was helpful, knowledgable. We arrived very late and he gave us recommendations for restaurants and places to go. The neighborhood may look questionable (we has heard of strip clubs around) but it was safe and quiet. For the money we spend this was great value. Would we book for a night again? Definitely. We ate at IHop next door and enjoyed our meal so can't comment on the breakfast offered.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Stewartsix
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Stewartsix - thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We so appreciate our guests' feedback. How nice that you enjoyed yourselves (and saved some $ at the same time)! We are thrilled to hear that you took advantage of the IHOP next door and got some helpful tips from our late-night front desk staff. Everyone is really friendly, nice and happy to help our guests - at any time of the day or night. Our location is definitely convenient, so close to SeaWorld, Mission Beach and other fun SD attractions. And you're right, the neighborhood is safe and quiet. Again, we're so happy to hear you had a good time at a great value. We would love to have you as our guest again. Feel free to email me directly to set up your reservation - nicole@bayinnsandiego.com. Thanks again! Nicole

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We were disappointed by this motel. The rooms were dirty and the grounds were no better. The continental breakfast consisted of watery coffee, no tea and very stale pastries. Better places within the same price range can be found nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CalMD_girl
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

CalMD_girl - Thanks so much for your review. I'm so, so sorry you did not have a good experience with us. We certainly don't like to hear that someone felt like they did not get great service or have an enjoyable stay. As we tell all of our guests, if there is something you need while you're staying with us, please let us know. Nothing should seem like it is not good enough, stale, unclean or uncomfortable. Of all of the parts of our hotel that we fixate on, it's cleanliness of the rooms. I am sorry that we were not up to your standards and I'd love to have you give us another chance. You can call the hotel directly and ask for me or email me here. I'd be happy to hear more about your experience so that we can ensure you have a great stay the next time you visit us: nicole@bayinnsandiego.com

Reviewed July 3, 2012

All you complainers "SHUT IT"! This place was PERFECT for a weekend stay going to seaworld. We were there this last fri sat sun and couldn't have had a better place for the $$$$. We spent 98 a night....everywhere else was over 150 a night. You don't even notice the "STRIP CLUB", the rooms are small, but you are there to SLEEP and SHOWER! If you want to hang out in your room GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! There were four of us and it was FINE! 5 min from seaworld a straight shot down the road. Are planning on going back to hang at the beach and go check out the USS MIDWAY next time! Just a 5 hour drive from phx for us. THANK YOU AGAIN!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Ken B

Ken, thanks so much for your note. We appreciate your review! We're looking forward to having you as our guest again. There's so much to enjoy in San Diego, you'll enjoy your next trip down here. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to make your reservation nicole@bayinnsandiego.com.

Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

My family & I stayed At Bay Inn & Suites expecting this place to be nice but when we arrived I knew we had made a bad choice.The rooms were small, carpet was in need of cleaning, we were watching TV when all of a sudden it shut off by itself & NO, IT DID NOT HAVE TIMER ON. It did not work period...TV was making sounds like it was trying so hard to turn on, but couldn't do it. I called the front desk & they were suppose to have sent a maintenance person up but person never showed up, I checked out before they arrived. People please do not let the pictures or the name of the place fool you. Stick to motel 6 if you need a room that is cheap, you will over pay at Bay Inn. My family & I were VERY disappointed. We over payed for this type of place.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank reviewer2005blt
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Reviewer2005bit - Thanks so much for your review and my sincerest apologies for this latest experience. I can understand your frustration in having the TV not working properly. These things do happen and as a guest your only role is to relax and unwind, not worry about a broken TV. It was unfortunate for us that you did not stay as we replaced that TV in your room immediately. In fact, ANY time a guest has a need, we try to meet it as quickly as possible. It does us no good for you to be upset. We like happy guests! If you would like, come back and stay with us again, please call the property and ask for me directly or email me directly at nicole@bayinnsandiego.com. We will ensure you have a better stay. In fact, I think you will truly enjoy yourself. Let me know and thanks again for the comments.

Best,

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I got this room at part of a package deal. I read all of the reviews prior. I was pleasantly surprised. It's a quant little place, which seemed very secure. I liked how it was isolated, with only one entrance & exit by the from office. The neighborhood wasn't "bad." Yes, I saw a strip club on the other side of a major street. The parking lot of the club was virtually empty & I never saw anyone go in or out, nor did I hear a sound in 3 nights. This is in part because the club is not visible from the motel rooms or pool at all. People really make a bigger deal out of it than it is. The staff was nice. The continental breakfast was fine. Yes, it was just pastries, which is what continental generally means. I realize a lot of chain hotels offer full breakfasts now. That's not what this place is. IHOP is right there if you want eggs! The pool area was cute. One night the hot tub wasn't working well, but they fixed it while we were there & it was great after that. It's not a luxury resort. It's a perfectly fine place to sleep if you're more interested in spending time out and about and aren't ultra picky about accommodations. It's minutes from beaches, the bay, and major attractions. I personally like the convince of being close to fast food & Target, so it's not necessary to pay tourist prices for sun screen & snacks.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Julimd
nscaglio, General Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Julimd,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! If you would like to come back and see us again, please call the hotel and ask for me directly or email me at nicole@bayinnsandiego.com, and I will help you with a complementary stay with us. We would love to have you back :).

We certainly hope you enjoyed your time exploring San Diego too.

Thanks again for taking the time to describe your experience!

Best,