Bay Inn and Suites
$329
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$289
$231
$151
  • Breakfast included
$232
  • Pool
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Beachfront
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
  • Pool
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$169
  • Restaurant
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$287
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$216
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I got this room at part of a package deal. I read all of the reviews prior. I was pleasantly surprised. It's a quant little place, which seemed very secure. I liked how it was isolated, with only one entrance & exit by the from office. The neighborhood wasn't "bad." Yes, I saw a strip club on the other side of a major street. The parking lot of the club was virtually empty & I never saw anyone go in or out, nor did I hear a sound in 3 nights. This is in part because the club is not visible from the motel rooms or pool at all. People really make a bigger deal out of it than it is. The staff was nice. The continental breakfast was fine. Yes, it was just pastries, which is what continental generally means. I realize a lot of chain hotels offer full breakfasts now. That's not what this place is. IHOP is right there if you want eggs! The pool area was cute. One night the hot tub wasn't working well, but they fixed it while we were there & it was great after that. It's not a luxury resort. It's a perfectly fine place to sleep if you're more interested in spending time out and about and aren't ultra picky about accommodations. It's minutes from beaches, the bay, and major attractions. I personally like the convince of being close to fast food & Target, so it's not necessary to pay tourist prices for sun screen & snacks.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Julimd
nscaglio, General Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Julimd,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! If you would like to come back and see us again, please call the hotel and ask for me directly or email me at nicole@bayinnsandiego.com, and I will help you with a complementary stay with us. We would love to have you back :).

We certainly hope you enjoyed your time exploring San Diego too.

Thanks again for taking the time to describe your experience!

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We choose this hotel based on many things, however we didn't know that it was across the street from a strip club. The place seemed very sketchy, the whole time we were there which was a lot because we had bad weather, it didn't seem like a very safe or secure place. During one of our 3 night stay people were talking outside our door and the staff didn't do anything about it, however the staff was friendly. The room itself had had patches of wall paper that looked like it had been cut out and then just put right back in the same place where you could clearly see where it had been removed. The socks to plug in lights didnt cove the whole circle of a hole there was, the blow drier was jim riged to the light socket. I thought, plugging in my own stuff was going to catch the place on fire. Anytime someone in another room was flushing the toilet or showering it was as if they were doing it in your room. We had our daughter with us and so I brought bed sheets just incase and I'm glad I did. The bath towels weren't very soft, but when we asked for more we got more. The hot water took awhile to get hot, it was a warmish feel and with bad weather I wanted a hot shower. Overall, our experience was not the most pleasant. The breakfast that is included looked home made and it was coffee and some biscuit thing (didn't try it) IHOP was next door so we went there. We would never stay her again or recommend this motel to anyone else. We weren't under the impression that this was a motel, and in dire need of updates/remodeling.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Windy2409
nscaglio, General Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Windy2409 - Thank you for your review. We are so disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. As you noted, our staff is friendly and we would have been more than willing to help you had we known you were so unhappy. I am personally troubled to hear that our property did not live up to your standards. A few notes - First: Our pastries, while not "homemade," are baked locally by La Boulangerie, a bakery servicing many small businesses in the area with their delicious danishes, scones, croissants, strudels, muffins, bagels and more. I am guessing that you probably came down to the breakfast room close to close time since you mention there was only some kind of biscuit left (we don't have any biscuits). These fresh, daily-delivered pastries usually go pretty fast :). However, I'm happy to hear you made it next door to IHOP for breakfast. Most of our guests enjoy the convenience of that location, as well as the newly-opened and also very close Broken Yolk. Both great choices for a full, hot breakfast (we have coupons at our front desk too). Second: I am sorry that other guests were talking near your room one of the nights you stayed with us. What you don't mention is that those guests did not talk outside your room afterwards or the other nights because our staff did indeed manage and monitor the noise level. Third: The hairdryer used in that same room the next day did not indeed burn the hotel down, so your worry was truly for naught - though we appreciate the concern. The rest of your notes are subjective and again I apologize we did not live up to your standards. Fortunately for you, Trip Advisor allows anyone to have a voice on anything - with or without any realistic detail to back their editorial up - and we do our best to reply to the ones we know are real and that we can affect. Reviews like yours that simply hurl unprovoked, inflamed insults are mostly just disappointing.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

This isn't a high-end hotel, it's not a fancy place, but the staff are friendly and helpful and the room is comfy and pleasant enough to get 5stars in it's bracket.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pandaeatworld

Thanks for the review pandaeatworld! We appreciate the stars :). We are a small property, priding ourselves on providing a clean, comfortable space for our guests while they enjoy and explore San Diego. I hope you come back and see us again. Please ask for me directly, I am happy to provide you with a complimentary night with us.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

My wife and I are both from San Diego, so we knew the location beforehand, as well as the proximity to the airport and the noisy jets taking off. Nice clean room, and quiet, even though we were right next to the noisy elevator. Comfortable beds. Nice clean pool and jacuzzi. This is a no-frills place, with a minimal continental breakfast, but we did our research and knew this coming in. Reading some reviews, I don't understand how people are surprised by what they find after checking in. You need to do your research.

That being said, overall we were only basically satisfied. We had reserved a KING room, and had the confirmation to prove it, but when we arrived we were given a 2 QUEEN room. They said we had been "upgraded" from "a smaller room with only 1 bed to a bigger room with 2 beds" that normally costs $10 more. We sleep in a queen bed at home, and wanted a king, which is why we reserved one. The lady acted like she was doing us a favor by giving us 2 beds instead of 1. Whatever.

Now on to the free wi-fi. One of the main reasons we chose this hotel over 2 or 3 others near the same area and in the same price range was the free in-room wi-fi. The connection, when working, was strong and fast. When working. When it was up, it would stay connected anywhere from 1-15 minutes before dropping. It would take at least 5-10 minutes before it would come back up. Again for only 1-15 minutes. The longest it stayed connected was about 40 minutes around midnight the first night (Saturday). Sunday it was spotty until around 2PM, then it went down again until the next morning at around 9AM, 2 hours before checkout.

The front desk said that yes, they were having problems with it, and had to keep resetting it, and that someone was coming in on Monday to take a look at it. Great. We were there for Saturday and Sunday. They told me that there was an internet cafe within walking distance, and a Kinkos about 3 blocks away. I had work I needed to do online, which I wanted to do from our room. Plus we were travelling home on Monday and the weather forecast called for possible snow along our route and I wanted to keep updated on the conditions.

2 of the 3 people we dealt with at the front desk were very courteous and helpful, apologizing for the issues we had. But the one that checked us in and out could really improve her personality. Upon checkout, she even claimed she knew nothing about the internet being a mess all weekend, though I'm pretty sure she was the first one I complained to on Saturday. Another guest said the same thing about her.

So, the room was fine, other than the bed size. Property clean. Jacuzzi clean and hot. Just confirm you get the room you reserved, and that the wi-fi is working, if you plan or need to use it for more than a few minutes at a time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Don R

Hi Don R,

So sorry for the experience with the internet. We have solved our internet connection problems from December and would be happy to welcome you back for a complimentary stay for your troubles.

Also, regarding the room change - we do our best to keep our guests happy and comfortable. I am so sorry that the room you were moved to was not to your liking. Again, we'd love to welcome you back on us. Please call the hotel, ask for me directly and I will personally handle your reservation.

Reviewed September 28, 2011

and the only problem we had was with the key cards. Our room, my daughter and I, was right next to the elevator and we never heard it, we did hear people rolling their luggage and talking on the walkway but that was minor, there was also plane noise but since I live close to an air base it didn't bother me. This is an older hotel but very inexpensive, a great feature was the parking under the hotel and a laundry, not so good was the size and age of the towels, etc. There is a gentlemen's club across the street but we heard nothing from them, we were on the backside of the hotel. If the club offends you ask for a room in the back. We didn't use the pool or hot tub, too tired after walking around Sea World, etc. Would I stay there again, you bet. It was close to the public transportation and different venues. We used public transportation alot.

Room Tip: If the gentlemen's club offends you ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Mary B
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2011

Hi Mary,

Thanks so much for your review and your email. We are happy we had the chance to have you as our guest and help you locate and return some of the personal items you left behind. Thanks for staying with us and we will looking forward to welcoming you back soon!