“Don't stay here.”

Ranked #240 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Hesperia, California
“Don't stay here.”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We choose this hotel based on many things, however we didn't know that it was across the street from a strip club. The place seemed very sketchy, the whole time we were there which was a lot because we had bad weather, it didn't seem like a very safe or secure place. During one of our 3 night stay people were talking outside our door and the staff didn't do anything about it, however the staff was friendly. The room itself had had patches of wall paper that looked like it had been cut out and then just put right back in the same place where you could clearly see where it had been removed. The socks to plug in lights didnt cove the whole circle of a hole there was, the blow drier was jim riged to the light socket. I thought, plugging in my own stuff was going to catch the place on fire. Anytime someone in another room was flushing the toilet or showering it was as if they were doing it in your room. We had our daughter with us and so I brought bed sheets just incase and I'm glad I did. The bath towels weren't very soft, but when we asked for more we got more. The hot water took awhile to get hot, it was a warmish feel and with bad weather I wanted a hot shower. Overall, our experience was not the most pleasant. The breakfast that is included looked home made and it was coffee and some biscuit thing (didn't try it) IHOP was next door so we went there. We would never stay her again or recommend this motel to anyone else. We weren't under the impression that this was a motel, and in dire need of updates/remodeling.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Windy2409
nscaglio, General Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Windy2409 - Thank you for your review. We are so disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. As you noted, our staff is friendly and we would have been more than willing to help you had we known you were so unhappy. I am personally troubled to hear that our property did not live up to your standards. A few notes - First: Our pastries, while not "homemade," are baked locally by La Boulangerie, a bakery servicing many small businesses in the area with their delicious danishes, scones, croissants, strudels, muffins, bagels and more. I am guessing that you probably came down to the breakfast room close to close time since you mention there was only some kind of biscuit left (we don't have any biscuits). These fresh, daily-delivered pastries usually go pretty fast :). However, I'm happy to hear you made it next door to IHOP for breakfast. Most of our guests enjoy the convenience of that location, as well as the newly-opened and also very close Broken Yolk. Both great choices for a full, hot breakfast (we have coupons at our front desk too). Second: I am sorry that other guests were talking near your room one of the nights you stayed with us. What you don't mention is that those guests did not talk outside your room afterwards or the other nights because our staff did indeed manage and monitor the noise level. Third: The hairdryer used in that same room the next day did not indeed burn the hotel down, so your worry was truly for naught - though we appreciate the concern. The rest of your notes are subjective and again I apologize we did not live up to your standards. Fortunately for you, Trip Advisor allows anyone to have a voice on anything - with or without any realistic detail to back their editorial up - and we do our best to reply to the ones we know are real and that we can affect. Reviews like yours that simply hurl unprovoked, inflamed insults are mostly just disappointing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This isn't a high-end hotel, it's not a fancy place, but the staff are friendly and helpful and the room is comfy and pleasant enough to get 5stars in it's bracket.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pandaeatworld
Thanks for the review pandaeatworld! We appreciate the stars :). We are a small property, priding ourselves on providing a clean, comfortable space for our guests while they enjoy and explore San Diego. I hope you come back and see us again. Please ask for me directly, I am happy to provide you with a complimentary night with us.

Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My wife and I are both from San Diego, so we knew the location beforehand, as well as the proximity to the airport and the noisy jets taking off. Nice clean room, and quiet, even though we were right next to the noisy elevator. Comfortable beds. Nice clean pool and jacuzzi. This is a no-frills place, with a minimal continental breakfast, but we did our research and knew this coming in. Reading some reviews, I don't understand how people are surprised by what they find after checking in. You need to do your research.

That being said, overall we were only basically satisfied. We had reserved a KING room, and had the confirmation to prove it, but when we arrived we were given a 2 QUEEN room. They said we had been "upgraded" from "a smaller room with only 1 bed to a bigger room with 2 beds" that normally costs $10 more. We sleep in a queen bed at home, and wanted a king, which is why we reserved one. The lady acted like she was doing us a favor by giving us 2 beds instead of 1. Whatever.

Now on to the free wi-fi. One of the main reasons we chose this hotel over 2 or 3 others near the same area and in the same price range was the free in-room wi-fi. The connection, when working, was strong and fast. When working. When it was up, it would stay connected anywhere from 1-15 minutes before dropping. It would take at least 5-10 minutes before it would come back up. Again for only 1-15 minutes. The longest it stayed connected was about 40 minutes around midnight the first night (Saturday). Sunday it was spotty until around 2PM, then it went down again until the next morning at around 9AM, 2 hours before checkout.

The front desk said that yes, they were having problems with it, and had to keep resetting it, and that someone was coming in on Monday to take a look at it. Great. We were there for Saturday and Sunday. They told me that there was an internet cafe within walking distance, and a Kinkos about 3 blocks away. I had work I needed to do online, which I wanted to do from our room. Plus we were travelling home on Monday and the weather forecast called for possible snow along our route and I wanted to keep updated on the conditions.

2 of the 3 people we dealt with at the front desk were very courteous and helpful, apologizing for the issues we had. But the one that checked us in and out could really improve her personality. Upon checkout, she even claimed she knew nothing about the internet being a mess all weekend, though I'm pretty sure she was the first one I complained to on Saturday. Another guest said the same thing about her.

So, the room was fine, other than the bed size. Property clean. Jacuzzi clean and hot. Just confirm you get the room you reserved, and that the wi-fi is working, if you plan or need to use it for more than a few minutes at a time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Don R
Hi Don R,

So sorry for the experience with the internet. We have solved our internet connection problems from December and would be happy to welcome you back for a complimentary stay for your troubles.

Also, regarding the room change - we do our best to keep our guests happy and comfortable. I am so sorry that the room you were moved to was not to your liking. Again, we'd love to welcome you back on us. Please call the hotel, ask for me directly and I will personally handle your reservation.

Rio Rico, Arizona
Reviewed September 28, 2011

and the only problem we had was with the key cards. Our room, my daughter and I, was right next to the elevator and we never heard it, we did hear people rolling their luggage and talking on the walkway but that was minor, there was also plane noise but since I live close to an air base it didn't bother me. This is an older hotel but very inexpensive, a great feature was the parking under the hotel and a laundry, not so good was the size and age of the towels, etc. There is a gentlemen's club across the street but we heard nothing from them, we were on the backside of the hotel. If the club offends you ask for a room in the back. We didn't use the pool or hot tub, too tired after walking around Sea World, etc. Would I stay there again, you bet. It was close to the public transportation and different venues. We used public transportation alot.

Room Tip: If the gentlemen's club offends you ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary B
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Hi Mary,

Thanks so much for your review and your email. We are happy we had the chance to have you as our guest and help you locate and return some of the personal items you left behind. Thanks for staying with us and we will looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Tucson
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The floors were so dirty we put towels down to walk on. We were told they had a crib - we were brought an old pack n play held together by bungee cords. The air conditioner kept shutting itself off throughout the night. The hot tub was maybe 80 degrees. The entrance to the hotel is DIRECTLY across the street from a huge strip club. I would have been furious if we had payed full price to stay in such a dump. The walkways were "squishy" and terrifying to walk on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank tucson2004
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Hi Tucson 2004,

Thank you so much for your review. We checked and noticed that you stayed with us during the Blackout last week. As you probably know, all of San Diego lost power for 12 hours - a strong possibility for why your air conditioning didn't work. We do hope you enjoyed the complimentary water and flash lights we provided to you and your family that evening. Also, we are happy to hear that you took advantage of our many online discounts! Guests can always find our best rates guaranteed on our website or call our front desk to ask for our current promotions!

As an update to our current and future guests: Unfortunately, we cannot welcome this guest back to our hotel because they ruined several towels after taking them off the property - when housekeeping and our front desk staff questioned them they told us our floors were dirty.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

central valley
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The best thing about this very OLD motel was the night clerk. She was very helpful and friendly. She answered all my questions and gave us some restaurant ideas. There is an IHOP right next door, and we did eat there, the food was good. The walkways to our room made me a little nervous with all the changes in flooring height and sponginess. Good thing was an elevator since we were on the top floor. It was slow, but it worked. When we did get to our room, the carpets were in need of cleaning, the bathroom was ancient with a loose toilet seat and only one tiny shampoo - no soap, conditioner, or lotion, and the towels were very old. The air conditioner sounded like a frieght train, and the noise from the airport wasn't too pleasant. Planes constantly, all hours of the day and night. The continental breakfast was a JOKE!!! The coffee sucked! My child did like the pool (at least they had one, not the cleanest), but what does a little kid know about motels? The wi-fi did not even get a good enough signal to connect in my room. A lot of the tv channels had fuzzy reception. And I kinda freaked out when I saw there is a stripclub and a tatoo parlor right across the street, although we did not have any issues with either establishment's patrons. There were alot of families here, only for a quick place to sleep I imagine. For the price we paid (119 + tax) I expect better than a renamed dumpy old motel 6. When I told the day clerk / "manager" about our issues, she did not care one bit! She didn't even try to apologize, but made it sound like our fault re the wi-fi, ac, lack of stock in the bathroom, and the tv. I am planning another trip to this area, but I definately will not ever be back to this shabby shack, not even if they only charged $40 - which would still be overcharging. Clearly, the owners do not really care about thier motel or patrons.

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bpet16
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 14, 2011
bpet16,

We appreciate your comments and are sorry you will not be staying with us again. We wish you the best.

Guest Services
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I have no complaints the hotel was close to everything you need. Seaworld was just down the street as well as misson beach and all attractions are fairly close. I enjoyed my stay the room is not huge but is comfortable for sleeping. I appreciate the fact that I needed to check in early as I had my 9month old with me and I had emailed before and I appreciate that they accommodated my request. I was very pleased with my stay and I would definitely stay there again. Thanks to all the staff that made our stay very nice.

Room Tip: Room has safe, fridge, and microwave
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Jen85051,

It was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest last weekend. Thank you so much for your lovely review!

Please reach out to me again the next time you are planning a visit to San Diego - I will help you with any requests and make sure to reserve you at a special rate: nicole@bayinnsandiego.

Looking forward to having you stay with us again!