“Enjoyed the stay and will stay there again next time”
Review of Bay Inn and Suites

Bay Inn and Suites
Ranked #240 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Enjoyed the stay and will stay there again next time”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I have no complaints the hotel was close to everything you need. Seaworld was just down the street as well as misson beach and all attractions are fairly close. I enjoyed my stay the room is not huge but is comfortable for sleeping. I appreciate the fact that I needed to check in early as I had my 9month old with me and I had emailed before and I appreciate that they accommodated my request. I was very pleased with my stay and I would definitely stay there again. Thanks to all the staff that made our stay very nice.

Room Tip: Room has safe, fridge, and microwave
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Jen85051,

It was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest last weekend. Thank you so much for your lovely review!

Please reach out to me again the next time you are planning a visit to San Diego - I will help you with any requests and make sure to reserve you at a special rate: nicole@bayinnsandiego.

Looking forward to having you stay with us again!

Nicole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The room size was adequate and had a fridge, microwave and even a safe. The management was courteous and professional. We have stayed at other locations in San Diego and this is one of the better deals we found. The hotel is a bit older and has some minor repair issues but nothing of great concern or diminshed quality. It was easy to get to sea world, beaches or anywhere in town from this location. This was the best value for that price range in san diego

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for your review Archive 303!

We appreciate the feedback that we receive from all of our guests. I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found all of the fun attractions that are close to our hotel! San Diego is such a special town, and we are lucky to be located close by to almost everything.

If you find yourself headed our way again, please email me directly so I can help you personally reserve a special rate: nicole@bayinnsandiego.com.

Thank you again!

Ontario, California
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I was a guest just a few weeks ago.. we were happy with the room, the surrounding businesses didnt really bother me and the room was clean. There was a shopping center very close and was very convenient. Sea world was really just a few minutes away.....It was quiet at night but we didnt care much for the "breakfast" but I guess it was a good lil bonus.....I had read these reviews prior to my trip and was impressed that the manager Nicole was so involved and i thought that showed how much they really cared about their guests. Well as soon as I got home after we checked out I realized I had left my charger for my Mac Laptop connected underneath the desk in the room. I called right away to ask if they can get it and mail it to me and I even offered to send the postage. Right away i got the feeling of the staff being too busy. I was asked for my name and phone number and was told I would receive a call back right away. 4 hours later I had to call and was told that she lost my number but that she went up there and there was no charger for me to call back when housekeeping came in the next morning. I called and spoke to Barbara and was told to again call back. I did... and nothing.. i called 4 times and i just again called and spoke to Barbara who was clearly in a bad mood and was very short with me on the phone. I told her how is it possible that my charger is not there when you told me that the room has been unoccupied since I checked out? This is a very expensive charger and I know its my fault i forgot it but I would think that your establishment would be a bit more considerate in helping a guest?? I am very dissapointed and Nicole I truly hope you read this and take this seriously. its impossible for the charger to not be there as it was left behind and according to barbara the only ones that have entered the room since is housekeeping??? I dont like to leave bad reviews but in my defense I clearly tried to fix this problem the right way before leaving this review. Nicole I'm asking for your help with this....

Room Tip: dont leave anything behind..... you'll never see it again. But a good place for the money.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
YES! Thank you for writing this. I am aware of the situation - please email me directly at nicole@bayinnsandiego.com.

As an FYI as well, our info@ email has not been working properly, if you have tried to reach us there, I apologize for any delay - we are working with our webmaster on that. Looking forward to your note so we can discuss. You can always call the hotel and ask for me directly. If I am not there, please leave a message with a number and times you can be reached and I will do my best to get back to you when you're free.

Thanks again! Talk to you soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 31, 2011

It was a HORRIBLE experience, not only does the hotel staff STEAL, but they clearly don't have a clue about good customer service. I have NEVER in my life been treated with so much disrespect. My friend and I got back from being out and i found her panties sitting on top of my bag and my swimsuit was missing, i never found it. When i went to the front desk to complain, the girl, her name is Danielle, extremely rude person, kept saying this has never happened and did not care to do anything about the situation. Basically called me a liar repeatedly saying that it has never happened and that there was nothing she could do. She pretended to call the manager, i never got a call from either manager. I told her that we will not be staying a second night and that i expected a full refund. I called Orbitz, who by the way, also very rude. They gave me the run around about the refund, spent an hour on the phone with them. I am still waiting on my refund, if i do not receive it within 5 days, i will be doing something about it. Overall, I would NOT AT ALL recommend this hotel to ANYONE unless you want your panties grabbed by sick perverts and your swimsuit stolen and be treated horribly when speaking to the front dest about how uncomfortable you feel at their hotel. Danielle from Bay Inn and Suites in San Diego, Midway Drive location, is the most rude and uneducated person I've ever had to deal with at a hotel. I, nor my friend or ANYONE of our friends, family and coworkers will EVER stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank hopefultraveler2010
nscaglio, General Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
In the best interest and safety of our guests and staff, this person and her friend had to be removed from our property. She was refunded both by us and our partners at Orbitz. Due to this person's wildly inappropriate and harmful behavior, she and her friend are not welcome back. We simply do not tolerate anything that threatens the well-being of our guests, our staff and our property.

Unfortunately situations like the above do arise, and when they do we remove a person who is simply not capable of behaving in an acceptably safe manner.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Sun City, Arizona
Reviewed February 20, 2011

As soon as we arrived we knew we were in trouble. Even before going into our room we could see that the surrounding area was questionable and the hotel was right across the street from Larry Flint's Hustler club.
The room was very small and the carpets were so filthy that the bottoms of my feet were coal black. We complained to the management and all they said was that they clean the carpets once a year. They were NOT apologetic.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Barb1938
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, March 20, 2011
Barb1938 - Thank you for your comments.

This is a difficult review to respond to primarily because of the delay in "Date of stay" and "Date of review." As we have noted in several other responses, we are a small property, with a small staff, who take personal care of our guests. Seeing that a guest was disappointed in October but did not reach out to us until February is disconcerting as it looks like we missed our opportunity to provide a solution during this guest's stay. While we provide a clean, quiet, relaxing atmosphere for all of our guests, we do everything in our power to make each person's stay even better should we have that chance.

We apologize that your experience was unpleasant. Should you have an opportunity to visit San Diego again, we would love to have the chance to invite you back at a special rate. Please ask for me directly and I will handle your reservation personally.

Best,
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Even though only 50% of travelers would recommend this hotel, I always find it impressive when the management responds to negative reviews like this hotel does-it shows they care.
Anyway, I thought the location was great-very easy access to the freeway system, about 10 minutes from the Zoo, there was an In N Out less than 1 half a mile away, and there was a trolley stop with free parking about 1 mile away. Also, IHOP is right next door, as well as tons of shopping like Ross, TJ Maxx, and restaurants, etc within a 1 mile radius.
There was a pool as well as a hot tub-didn't try either. Ice and water just down the outdoor hall. No elevator-didn't bother us. Also, the ac/heating unit is the old type that is either on or off-it can't self regulate. So when we came back after a long day the room was cold. Not a big deal as the heater worked awesome and would heat our room up in a couple minutes.
There was breakfast served every morning, but very limited hours (7a-9a). We missed it both mornings. Woke up too late the first morning, the second morning we left too early. That was kind of a bummer-it was one of the reasons I booked this place.
There was a micro and well as a decent sized fridge in our room. Also, a desk and chair. Shower/tub combo and good water pressure.
Our first night, the area was very quiet-we slept awesome. The next night was NYE, so of course it was pretty loud with the club nearby. But didn't bother me.
Also, covered parking was nice and since the hotel is so small, parking is convenient to the room.
The front desk lady was very helpful, showing us where the trolley stop is. She was very nice as well.
Overall, I am giving the hotel 4 stars. (the hotel states it is a 2 star, and I think that is fair-maybe a 2.5 star). 1/2 star deduction because our room was not serviced by housekeeping at all the 2 nights we were there. Did we call and complain? Nah, didn't care that much. The other 1/2 star deduction is because of the very short breakfast hours.
Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. We truly appreciate feedback and welcome the opportunity to improve our services!

A few points of clarification: We do indeed have an elevator and I am so sorry we did not do a better job describing its location (at the second stairwell, corner). Our standard breakfast does run until 9 a.m., which generally satisfies our business travelers during the week; however, on the weekends our breakfast is open until 10 a.m. This past weekend, however, we clearly missed the opportunity to serve you and apologize for that oversight. Finally, our room attendants do not disturb guests if they have a "privacy" sign on their doors. If this was your situation, I am sorry for that confusion. Sometimes guests don't want to seem like a "bother" so they don't complain when they should. We would have happily had your room cleaned if we had known you wanted service. We always offer extra everything to our guests (towels, shampoo, etc), readily available at the front desk should you request no service for the day.

As for your compliments, thank you. We are a small hotel and each one of our staff members is very special. We appreciate that you had a good experience with the front desk person during your stay and guarantee that she too enjoyed making your stay a good one. Our central location makes us an ideal spot for San Diego sight seers, I am so glad you were able to enjoy the local restaurants and businesses.

We would love the opportunity to have you as our guest again and ensure an even better stay. Should you decide to stay with us again, please ask for me directly and I will handle your special reservation.

Thank you again for your comments. And, Happy New Year!

Cathedral City, California
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Don't be fooled by there web site photos.They advertise a family inn, but this is far from that.I took my 8 yr old to Seaworld,and his first question was "who's Larry Flint?", the name he had read on the strip club across the street from Bay Inn and Suites. My family and I are from the Coachella Valley,and had no idea this place was in that kind of area.That's just the beginning. Very rude and disrespectful staff,Danielle and Barbara. Over priced for a place that looks like hideout for a Bad guy in a 1977 BERRATA episode.NOT A FAMILY PLACE !STOP DECEIVING PEOPLE.It sounded like we were not the first to complain.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BBS20000
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Thank you for your review.

While we cannot control which businesses exist in San Diego, we can control our relationship with those businesses. We are not affiliated in any way with Larry Flint. However, we do have a mutual agreement with that establishment in respecting our mission to be a quiet, clean and comfortable vacation spot for families, business travelers, military personnel, and government employees during their stay in San Diego. Though they are located close to us, they are not us, and we are not them. Period.

Unfortunately, your review did not mention any of the other great family-friendly restaurants and stores that are next to and within walking distance of our hotel including IHOP, Brick Oven Pizza, Kristy's MVP, Target, Ralph's, Souplantation and many more. We are only one mile from SeaWorld, one mile from Old Town, minutes from the San Diego Sports arena, MCRD Graduation, Balboa Park, the Zoo, the Gaslamp, and all of the other exciting San Diego attractions!

We would love an opportunity to have you as our guest again. Please call the hotel to speak to me directly and I will ensure a discounted return rate and a wonderful stay.

Guest Services, Manager