“Great value, location location location, older property but well maintained”
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

Bahia Resort Hotel
Ranked #28 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 28, 2009

The outside grounds and garden areas are immaculate and the gardens are well cared for. The front 'seal pool' is well done, compares well to some Sea World exhibits.
Pool is heated, sauna, fitness center are excellent. Many walking/biking trails.
The 'Business center' is a small room with a single PC and printer. Good for printing on-line ticket vouchers.

Room rental was 'Bay View' Room (a suite). Beds clean and comfortable. Kitchen and Bath had been refurbished at some point, although they told me this was not a refurbished room. Furniture condition good. Free internet is both regular wireless and also wired. Two TV's, free HBO. Can get internet on the TV but who does that?

I overheard two other customers asking for better rooms, and getting them. You might do well to ask if unsatisfied with your room. If you have a complaint take it to the front desk to see if they can satisfy any shortcomings. I found that staff went to great lengths to make the stay better. Great hotel staff and reservation desk. Hotel emailed a satisfaction survey form after our stay.

Booking - I received a MUCH better room rate by calling the hotel phone instead of using the website. Suite was $152 per night for 4 nights over the Christmas holiday, compared to about $186 for the same thing on the web. 'Bay View Suite', is large suite type room with two queen beds and a convert couch. Prices in the area can be crazy but I thought this was a good value, especially over xmas when holiday rates can spike.

My only unresolved complaint was that the side bedroom was dark and cold (Main room in-wall heater did not ever do much to heat the side room, and only had small desk lamps in the room). Apparently they could not help with a space heater. Note: San Diego can be cold this time of year at night.

Location - you can easily walk to either Mission Bay (smooth water play area) or Mission Beach (big waves and surfing). A nice little market with reasonable prices about a block away, many parks, marina rentals, beaches nearby. The hotel has a section of private beach, but we found the area entirely uncrowded this time of year.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Xybek

Reviewed December 10, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel at the recommendation of a travel agent who had spent countless family vacations here as a child. We were absolutely thrilled with our accomations with a "Bay View Suite." Our room had a large patio overlooking Mission Bay. We were only a few short blocks to the Ocean, which was an added treat. The customer service provided at the front desk was premier. This resort is also conveniently located near many attractions. We would welcome the opportunity to return to Bahai Resort in San Diego!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SparkyDMFD
Reviewed December 8, 2009

it had its own beach! i had a villa wich was right on the beach

Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2009

We are a family of five and had a really lovely big room with sofabed and two doubles, plus a fully functioning kitchen - though we didn't use it as restaurant buffet breakfast too tempting! The pool is great, nicely divided into areas for swimmers and toddlers, the tennis court is fun, kids loved the sea lions and the beach - we went in August and it didn't feel too busy at all. Staff really friendly and helpful, rooms clean. Great location for Sea World and easy to get to other parts of San Diego. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I was visiting San Diego with family and had reserved one bayview room at $159 per night, a relatively reasonable rate for the location (other area hotels going for about $170+) Our building and room appeared recently renovated or updated -- the kind of room you would find at a typical Hilton or Sheraton hotel. Unfortunately, for another family member, he and his wife were not satisfied with their bungalow style room (a bayfront room) which appeared older and had some problems with it. I can't say the same for my room though! It was updated, spacious and clean with fantastic views of Mission Bay. The front office desk clerks were friendly and informative, and the staff at Bahia Cafe and Tangier Bar were very nice to us. Some of us enjoyed cocktails at the Moroccan style bar with a live pianist in the late weekend evening. Yes, this is somewhat of an older property - but it does have character and charm throughout. I especially liked the lush landscape and relaxing bayfront location. And, unlike some other pricier resorts in the area, the Bahia offers free daily parking to its guests, and free use of the gym, shuffleboard and tennis courts. They even have the Bahia Belle that docks in front of the beach area - it doesn't operate in the summer, but does takes guests on free cruises around the bay at other times of the year. I love the location of this hotel too - it's conveniently located to some great shopping, eating and sightseeing including Belmont Park and Mission Beach (a short two blocks away), and Sea World (5-10 min drive). Overall, a wonderful stay - especially with the renovated room!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2009

For most visitors the location of the hotel, which is hardly a resort, is surely prime. It is close to Mission Bay, Belmont Park, Sea World and a host of other area attractions. Secondly, there is a bit of quaint-ness associated with the hotel that make it interesting...a small lagoon with rescued harbor seals and a small private beach (with a completely blocked view due to bloats in the slips) add a certain charm. That is where the luxuries end. We stayed in a bay view suite. The room had an ok layout, but was tighter than I imagined from looking at the photos online. The curtains, beddings and other tapestries were at least 20 years old. The carpet was shameful, stained, ratty and in worse condition than any place I've EVER stayed (rental apartments included). The room included a small kitchen, I considered this to be a plus...until I entered the room. The hotel is next to a small bay where one might rise early to fish; apparantly the previous guest had done just that and proceeded to clean those fish right in the kitchen. Upon opening the doors the first time I was met with an offensive odor that seemed to permeate the entire suite. I believe that the fisherman may have cleaned fish in the sink and then garbage disposal-ed the remains and guts. The smell lasted the entire stay. Next, we had intended to eat dinner at the hotel restaurant but missed the serviing hours due to traffic. We ordered room service and were truly disappointed. We were served leftovers from that morning's lunch buffet. The salad was limp and nothing resembled anything fresh. The house champagne shared by my husband and I was more like Squirt soda. In addition, we were told our food would arrive within 40 minutes. Over an hour later it finally arrived. With three small children in tow, waiting that long for food is not acceptable. After dinner I planned to get the kids settled down by purchasing a movie from the television system...at a price of close to $15.00 per movie we decided against it and we drifted off to sleep while watching the local news. There were other things that led to our disappointment as well: a lack of supervision in the pool area, where a large team of teenage soccer players took over the hot tub and proceeded to "dive" into the spa, splash and worst of all...wipe their runny noses on their hands and them rinse them in the water (this is where we got up and left). In addition, as spa owners, we were very concerned that the spa did not appear to be heated properly...as it was several degrees too low.

The worst part of our stay happened four days after we checked out. I looked at my online banking statement and found that the hotel had overcharged me by $438.00! I phoned the front desk and was told that it was a system error. The woman didn't seemed surprised at all, and stated that it was happening to a lot of people. That I should call my bank. She then gave me a number to an accounting department to call in the morning to have the charge reversed...I just phoned and that number has been disconnected. I can understand a billing error...but considering the fact that she knew and was aware of this problem I should expect that a "resort" would CALL ME immediately and my bank to explain THEIR ERROR. I now have to give up my time to repair their flub.

I went to the Bahia for two reasons...they were listed on the Sea World web site and they claimed to be a world class resort. Sadly, I will not return for many more than two reasons.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2009

This resort has everything to offer! It was very comfortable and family friendly! The location is excellent! Sea World is right around the corner and the entire area is absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to try it in the summer season! Awesome hot tub & heated pool! Very large rooms.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family