“Worst accommodation of our trip”
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

Bahia Resort Hotel
Ranked #30 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 4, 2005

We travelled through California for nearly four weeks in September and stayed in 10 different hotels. THIS WAS BY FAR THE WORST... AND ALSO THE MOST EXPENSIVE. We booked in for one night with the idea of extending for another three but after checking in to the room almost did not stay that night. The accommodation must have been built for the least possible cost and had no money spent on it since. Rooms are dark, dingy, poorly built and badly finished. Some poetic licence has taken place calling this site a 'resort'. It has nothing going for it - it is isolated - there are much better beaches in other areas of San Diego and certainly better and more reasonably priced accommodation. I would not go back to this place.

8  Thank Vreen
There are newer reviews for Bahia Resort Hotel

Reviewed October 3, 2005

What a great place to stay. It felt like our own private island. You can not beat the location and it is nice to find a resort that has such a professional and friendly staff. We will be back again and again. FYI we found the best prices on the hotels own web site and when we arrived they gave us a free upgrade. It was great.

3  Thank Andy T
A TripAdvisor Member
Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed September 8, 2005

Our family of six ( four boys under 12)retruned from five days at the Bahia. As usual it was wonderful. If you are looking for a classic California all inclusive resort for children, this one is hard to beat. If you are looking for an executive level hotel, you would be better off at the Four Seasons in La Jolla. Tips for families: Ask for the Bay side (private beach) suites as they have large kitchens. The play ground is on the beach for the kids. Yes, the Stern paddle River boat is a little corny, but the kids love cruising on it to watch the fireowrks at Sea world at night. Don't miss the Belmont Park roller coaster. and Mission Beach, two blocks away. Bring your boogie boards, fins and surfing attire as Mission is a classic Southern Calif . surf beach. Tip for travlers to San Diego: A smile, a few "thank you's" in spanish and a couple bucks goes a long way with the room cleaning staff. I got checked in fast, towels, the exact room I wanted and great service every time.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 8, 2005

I stayed here for 2 nights, mid-week, and was a bit disappointed. I had read mostly positive reviews on Expedia. It wasn't until after I had booked my trip, but before I departed, did I notice the 'less than stellar' reviews here. My experience was similar to many others posted here. The view was OK. Out our window was the marina - so basically a bunch of boats. It's obviously in the bay, so you are not directly on the ocean. There is a nice beach you can walk to on the other side of the hotel that is decent and clean. It's only about a foot deep for as far as I could see, and no waves, which made it nice for our two-year-old. The pool is decent and the jacuzzi looked nice (although we didn't use it).

Although we booked a King bed/Suite, we were given a Queen. We could have had a King, but would have had to downgrade to a studio-style room. The room was spacious and clean, but didn't appear to have been updated for a good 20+ years. I don't know if was the ocean air entering the fabric of the decor, or the lack of proper cleaning, but the room did have a musty/moldy smell that was bothersome, and affected my wife, who has allergies.

Our experience with the staff was average. I do notice a bit of a trend in unfavorable staff reviews. We did have two expereiences that are in line with the others here: 1) the maid came the first day around 8AM; a bit early I thought. We had to ask her to come back. 2) Our third and last day, the maid came before check-out time. She cleaned most of the room. We used the room significantly before checkout. Also, we had brought an old pillow we use for travel (quite nasty, I must admit) that the maid must have tucked under the sheets with the other hotel's pillows. Because we didn't see it when we collected our things, we left it. I feel sorry for the people that unmade their bed to find that stinky thing. I would assume that would generate another complaint to the front desk. Seems there is much room for improvement in the area of housekeeping.

We paid $139/nt for our rooms, Tues-Wed nights. This was the beginning of September, and I would think slow season, as most schools had just started back up. It was overall a pleasant stay, if not a little overpriced. However, I'm not sure I would stay here again.

1  Thank billerb
A TripAdvisor Member
Alexadria, VA
Reviewed September 8, 2005

I stayed at the Bahia without reading any of the reviews here, now that I read them I a surprised... I had a great Garden room, the staff was fun and made my vacation a memorable one. I am not sure what you expected of this resort but I had a great time with my family and the location of the resort made it easy for us to get arround. We have plans to go back early next year.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 4, 2005

Stayed for a week - very noisy at weekends - the bedroom windows don't close properly - and they are right by the pathway
very rude staff - especially at breakfast - mission beach reminded us a blackpool or ibiza on a really bad day - a lot of down and outs and lager louts
not an ideal place for small children, very distinct lack of eateries nearby - although the fish and chips were great across the road.
would not stay here again - there are some much nicer options around the rating of this should be a 3* maximum motel (no where near a resort)

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank hrhs
Reviewed September 4, 2005

If the Bahia had a school report, it would have "Must Try Harder" stamped all over it. On the surface, it's certainly a pleasant 3-star hotel, but the flaws detract significantly from the overall impression the hotel gives. On the positive side, the room we had was certainly spacious; we were upgraded to a bay-view suite with well-equipped kitchenette and separate bedroom. The staff are generally helpful, and the hotel features a prolific use of live music; in its bar, in the restaurant... even by the pool. Food in the restaurant is very good, although there are very few other places to go within near walking distance for a good meal, with the exception of the excellent Mizu Japanese restaurant.

Unfortunately, as mentioned in other reviews, the hotel is in need of updating. Our room smelt damp; age-old stains on the carpet revealed the source. The white bedsheets and towels were the equivalent of a Guest Book, with suntan/make-up/whatever stains dotted about them giving an indication of former residents. And how's this for a horror story: we went out for the day, and returned only to find our door wide open. The maids had failed to close it after they had cleaned our room. Thankfully nothing was stolen. In a separate incident, we were sat in our room one evening watching TV, when a family of four entered, laden with cases. They had been given a key to OUR room in error. Brilliant.

Overall the hotel is okay. Potentially it could be so much better. It just needs a bit of attention. While in San Diego, I would recommend visiting the Old Town (direct bus leaves opposite the hotel) and Sea World (if you don't mind rubbing shoulders with a million other tourists). Avoid Mission Beach unless you like the idea of mixing with extras from "Beverley Hills 90210". Fashion Valley is very good for shopping, and while you're there have a meal at The Cheesecake Factory.

• Stayed: August 2005