“Not to put a dampener on your holiday, but...”
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

Bahia Resort Hotel
Ranked #29 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 4, 2005

If the Bahia had a school report, it would have "Must Try Harder" stamped all over it. On the surface, it's certainly a pleasant 3-star hotel, but the flaws detract significantly from the overall impression the hotel gives. On the positive side, the room we had was certainly spacious; we were upgraded to a bay-view suite with well-equipped kitchenette and separate bedroom. The staff are generally helpful, and the hotel features a prolific use of live music; in its bar, in the restaurant... even by the pool. Food in the restaurant is very good, although there are very few other places to go within near walking distance for a good meal, with the exception of the excellent Mizu Japanese restaurant.

Unfortunately, as mentioned in other reviews, the hotel is in need of updating. Our room smelt damp; age-old stains on the carpet revealed the source. The white bedsheets and towels were the equivalent of a Guest Book, with suntan/make-up/whatever stains dotted about them giving an indication of former residents. And how's this for a horror story: we went out for the day, and returned only to find our door wide open. The maids had failed to close it after they had cleaned our room. Thankfully nothing was stolen. In a separate incident, we were sat in our room one evening watching TV, when a family of four entered, laden with cases. They had been given a key to OUR room in error. Brilliant.

Overall the hotel is okay. Potentially it could be so much better. It just needs a bit of attention. While in San Diego, I would recommend visiting the Old Town (direct bus leaves opposite the hotel) and Sea World (if you don't mind rubbing shoulders with a million other tourists). Avoid Mission Beach unless you like the idea of mixing with extras from "Beverley Hills 90210". Fashion Valley is very good for shopping, and while you're there have a meal at The Cheesecake Factory.

5  Thank BenWestSussex
Write a ReviewReviews (4,079)

Reviewed August 24, 2005

I understand why the mixed reviews here.. we had a garden view room but was upgraded to a bay front suite.. VERY HAPPY for that.. or I would have been writing one of those bad reviews.. our unit did need some upgrades ( the whole place needs it) but the location made ALL the difference in the world. Being an owner of 3 units at the Maui Eldorado resort the comparison gave me a good feeling about our staff and property. When i checked in I was not given any details of the resort had to figure it out on my own.. the maids did a wonderful job working with what they had (the run down unit).. over all its all about location location location.. if I were to stay there again I would make sure I got a unit with the bay view (on the side that does not have the pubic beach on it)..

3  Thank M0MMY
Reviewed August 22, 2005

After reading the reviews I was skeptical about the Bahia, but went for it anyhow. And I dont regret it. My family and I were there for 6 nights in August 2005. The rates seemed high to me (about $180/night), but when you compare it to other resorts in the San Diego area they are right in line. And considering the prime location for Mission Beach and Sea World you cant go wrong. We dont vacation very often so I wanted this to be a good one.

Upon checking in we were upgraded to a room with a kitchen, which I would highly recommend. I was able to go to a nearby grocery store about 3 miles away (Von's) and buy some groceries and snack foods to save money. The full size refrigerator was a nice touch. Our 2nd story hotel room was at the far end of the resort and featured a balcony. Room was very clean and spacious. Maid service was awesome. She did a great job which we appeciated.

The pool and spa was very nice also. They had live music there on some days. There is also a poolside bar (although we smuggled in our own drinks for far cheaper).

I really liked the location of this hotel. It was within walking distance of Mission Beach and some pretty good restaurants if you dont want to drive. Roberto's Taco Shop offered some pretty good eats as did Fat Boyz Pizza. We drove down the Mission Blvd about 4 miles near Pacific Blvd? where there were alot of other restaurant choices.

My 8 year old daughter loved the seals. This was a highlight for her. We didnt eat at the Bahia resort. I would have but it seemed a bit pricey for my budget. Their food sure looked and smelled delicious though!

We did the Bahia boat cruise one night to view the fireworks. We really enjoyed this also. Very relaxing.

I liked this resort. I think alot of the people that rate this resort poorly get bad rooms (which may be the case).

3  Thank wyowanderer50
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

We arrived at the Bahia not knowing what we would find based on the other reviews on this site. The first thing we heard as we walked into the lobby were two individuals complaining about their rooms not being cleaned. But we NEVER had any trouble with our room not being cleaned. Our room was upgraded to a room on the bay, which rocked! The kids' activities such as the Mad Science program and the movies by the pool rocked! The pool and the whirlpool rocked. The food in both the bar and the cafe was good, if not a little expensive. We would definitely go back again!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2005

hotel should be embarrassed. Rooms are in desparate need of upgrading and the rates they charge are grossly overpriced. Never again. Save your money - for less money, you can stay at a Hilton!

Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank bklynguy
Reviewed August 18, 2005

stayed here for 3 nights, rather worried having read previous reviews, and having seen the rear view of some of the beach chalets...BUT we were given 2 fabulous studio rooms in the 4 storey block right at the end of the resort. The rooms were large with kitchenettes and verandas overlooking (ours) the panoramic bay, and our children's overlooked the grounds where they could watch the fireworks at Sea World and the bright lights of the boats and fairground. It may well depend on which room you get as to whether you will like this place or not. The chalets seemed to have no privacy, the occupants would have to draw their curtains and deny themselves the fabulous views and we did see beach parties, noisy and raucous with groups of teenagers on the Gleeson road side. Altogether, if we could be assured the same types of rooms again, we would return here.

5  Thank E&JJJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix
Reviewed August 16, 2005

My boyfriend and I booked this trip after seeing their amazing website..."step into paradise" (???!!) After a much anticipated 2 month wait, the day finally arrived when we were to check into this so called "paradise". When we pulled in, the hotel and grounds were so run down and old, I tried my hardest to not immediately suggest we leave. We went ahead and struggled to find a parking spot, there was no bellman, than walked into a tiny, dirty lobby that makes the Super 8 look like its 4 stars. ..I am not kidding. I mean not to be a snob, but when you think resort, don't you think relaxation, beautiful grounds and friendly service?
The staff were not friendly, they checked us in for the ridiculous price of of almost $300 a night. My boyfriend and I decided to at least see what the rooms were like and to give it a shot. After all, there were several families running around with smiles on their faces, we figured they can't be happy if they were being ripped off. Unfortunately these smiling people must be like the ones who wrote good reviews here, they think if they're paying good money, they must be getting a good deal. (Not so!!)
So after being informed to "try and find a parking spot outside our bungalow and if they're all taken, oh well" we pulled in to a spot nearby and again tried to remain hopeful. As soon as we walked up to the door, there was a tray full of half eaten food and bugs. Nice entrance. Than, we walked in and the only way to describe it is a nuclear halocaust meets Golden Girls. It was so dark and dirty and pathetic, we immediately walked out and asked to check out. I felt so bad for my boyfriend who works 70+ hours a week, we just needed a little getaway, and we got this dump after being fooled by their website. Luckily we re-grouped and went to Disneyland!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member