“You can probably do better”
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

Bahia Resort Hotel
Ranked #29 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Faifax, VA
“You can probably do better”
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I won't say our stay here was terrible, but I will say it could have been significantly better. I would not stay here again. I would, however, compliment the photographer that took the photos posted on the hotel website, because he/she is a photographic genius. The place did not look similar to what was advertised. We booked a package deal through Orbitz, and I got the general impression that this may have been part of the problem. We arrived at about 3:30 in the afternoon, 1/2 before check-in time. There was a problem with the reservation, which took them 45 minutes to figure out. The entire time, we were listening to the concierge desk staff offer arriving guests their choice of rooms. When our turn came, they did not give us a choice, and did not give us the type of room we had requested (and paid for a month previously) on Orbitz. To their credit, they did give us $25 in food/drink credit. When we arrived at the room, the accommodations were not suitable for habitation. The mold/mildew smell was so strong that I was concerned that I would have allergy problems, let alone my more allergy-prone boyfriend. There was also flood damage and stains on the carpet. I asked for a room change, and we were taken to a room in a more recently renovated area of the hotel. This room was much more acceptable, but there were a lot of little issues, such as the cheap towel racks continually falling off the walls, the shampoo/conditioner not matching, and the suspicious wet cleaner spot about a foot across right in front of the bathroom door. I really didn't want to know what might have been there. Once, when we asked for a change of sheets, the maid came to the room and merely made the bed, rather than change the sheets. We had to call again, and waited quite a while before anything was amended. The fitness center was not in great condition, although the pool and the hot tub were fine. We ate breakfast, which was overpriced, but decent. I don't know about the rest of the food. In sum, definitely not a great stay, and not worth the money, but it wasn't horrific.

• Liked — Staff was friendly, and tried to help
  • Disliked — Not as advertised at all. The hotel website is just not accurate.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debora P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We have stayed at a number of hotels in the past. Some have been for business and some for pleasure. This is now our favorite hotel for pleasure. It is older, but very well kept, clean and very convenient to everything we like to do.

• Liked — Quiet, charming, close to all activities
  • Disliked — Nothing, all great!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeagle
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed January 4, 2009

My Mother and I took a "girls" trip here in September 2008. We like to try and get away once every year or two. Bahia was definitely a decent hotel, it wasn't quite as nice as we'd expected. We had some weird issues with the Maid staff as well. For instance we never had enough towels for 2 people. Upon arrival there were NO Bath towels, only hand towels and wash clothes.

We also ordered a package that included Corona's with Chips and Guacamole. First we told the front desk to have it delivered on the 2nd day of our stay, but it was delivered on the 1st night, AFTER we'd already had dinner. So we decided to save it in the fridge for the next day. Well when we went out for breakfast,our room was cleaned, and they removed the un-opened chips that we'd saved IN the kitchen. We had to call the front desk and finally speak to a manager before we got more chips to have with our day old guacamole.

The Kitchenette did NOT have a microwave which we though was odd. There is a full Stove w/ oven, but it's not easy to re-heat leftovers as we planned.

We did also order passes to SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo, and we received that upon check-in and it worked out great. The location is a good location if you plan to visit seaworld. Our patio area was also nice as it opened to a grassy area with palm trees.

Overall this is a decent hotel, and they tried to fix our issues, but depending on your expectations it's not the "nicest" place. It also feels overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Traveling4Fun_n_Work
San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I constantly receive emails with different hotel deals and this one caught my eye. The promotion was to stay at the Bahia Resort Hotel in San Diego, CA for $99/night. My plan was to just have a nice weekend with my boyfriend and be close to home. I am so happy with my choice to stay at the Bahia.
The first thing I want to compliment is the service. After I made my reservation online, I realized that it wasn't a good weekend. I was positive that I wasn't going to be able to reschedule without the having to spend more money. When I called the hotel, the representative was very polite and was able to switch my reservation to a different weekend with NO penalties and using the same promotional rate.
When we checked in, the employees in the lobby were very welcoming. They told us about the discounts that were available for Bahia guests to different local attractions (Sea World, San Diego Zoo, etc). They also gave us complimentary tickets for a cruise around Mission Bay that we could use anytime before the end of the year.
The room that we stayed in was not your typical hotel room. It stood on its own with no rooms above or below it. There was a parking space right in front of our room which was very convenient. The room was much bigger than what I expected. The bed was comfortable, the wireless internet was great, and there were plenty of towels and pillows! My favorite part of our room was the sliding glass door with the Mission Bay view. At night, we even got to watch the Sea World fireworks that were right across the bay. It was absolutely gorgeous.
There were plenty of things to do near the hotel and lots of eating establishments nearby as well. We were able to go kayaking, walk around Balboa Park, shop at Fashion Valley Mall, and eat fresh sea food without doing a lot of driving. The location of the Bahia Resort was excellent!
Unfortunately I did not have time to visit the many of the amenities the Bahia has to offer such as the pool, spa, tennis courts, and fitness center but all of the information about these bonuses were available in the pamphlet that was in our room. I was, however, able to dine at the Tangier Bar where the food was delicious and the service was top-notch.
I highly recommend the Bahia Resort Hotel to anyone planning on visiting California or, if you are like us, just looking for a nice place to spend a weekend close to home. I can't wait to stay here again!

• Liked — The great view out of our sliding glass door!
  • Disliked — I didn't dislike anything!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WSlakers34
SHL1830
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Had a great time at this older hotel. Great bay views from our room. The late-night ferry was a blast. Very nice and accommodating staff.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed December 3, 2008

My wife, daughter, and I spent two nights here over Thanksgiving in the San Diego Area to visit Lego Land and Sea World from the Los Angeles Area. We stopped at Legoland on our way down and spent most of the day there. The Bahia resort was only 15 minutes away; we got there at nightfall and checked into the four-story portion of the resort at the end of the peninsula, overlooking the bay. My wife had won the stay in a contest and we were truly amazed on how nice it was. We travel worldwide including Europe, Asia, South America, and all over the US. Using TripAdvisor, we were somewhat skeptical with the prior reviews (We had several hotels to choose from the contest).
We checked in and the staff was professional and got us our room in short order. We did ask for directions to a local steak house but the person that evening had limited knowledge of restaurants. On our way to the room we noticed that the place seemed completely full on this Holiday weekend. We got to the room and it was gorgeous and spacious. We think they had recently redone the room with tile in the bathrooms, furniture drapes and all. The bathroom was neat and the shower was good (a value point for us!).
That night we found the Embers Bar and Grill, just over the freeway, on Mission Bay road and we had a fine inexpensive dinner.
Next morning, my wife and I walked in the rain while our daughter slept, to see the birds on the beach just outside of our room. It was very peaceful and picturesque. Sandpipers, gulls, and mud hens were everywhere. We checked out the pool and workout room. The pool was a bit chilly for November but the large spa was very inviting.
We got our daughter up, went to a breakfast up the street and then went and spend the day at Sea World. That evening we had our Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel restaurant that had a great staff and very accommodating. After a full Thanksgiving Day of marine animals and walking, we got back to the hotel putting together our Christmas cards on the large nice table in the room.
Next morning we spent time in the spa and workout room and prepared ourselves for another day of Legoland (We had two-for-one tickets). The Hotel was a great relaxing point of our stay and unlike most places we visit, it became one of the highlights rather than just another place to rest your head.
We highly recommend this resort for a visit to the San Diego, Carlsbad, Mission bay area.

• Liked — Amenities, location, price, ambience, the beach walks.
  • Disliked — The pool was cold but that was expected for November.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Gus and Dee
Morristown, NJ
Reviewed November 23, 2008

The hotel is ok if you are just looking for a place to sleep, the rooms are old and have a funky smell but look clean, the free boat ride is lame, the boat is old, the music is a joke, the drinks are pricey and the food they offer is a sandwich you have to pay for. The hotel pool is strange, it has some wierd carpet around it, the hotel bar was probably cool in the 70's but today its lame, parking is a pain and the hotel beach is nasty.

The good things about the place are:
Compared to other hotels in the area the price is reasonable. Its close to the ocean and you can find some casual places to eat or have a drink there. Its close to sea world Its a quick drive to the airport, downtown, mexico, coronado Games in the game room are free The rooms have a fridge

• Liked — Location to the beach, free game room
  • Disliked — Its old, smells funny, the boat tour, parking, pool
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple