“Brazil comes to Bahia!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Lexington
“Brazil comes to Bahia!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Was hungry and didn't want to drive out of the hotel. Saw that there was a Brazilian Carnaval going on outside by the water so I decided to go with my group of friends. It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the chicken and the capirinha? I'm not sure if that's the proper spelling. The dancing was really fun as well. Group enjoyed overall. Brazilian music, sunset and good food.

Room Tip: Be nice when you check-in and they'll upgrade you if its available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We've been going to California for 25 years. We were referred to the Bahia from a family member. The Bahia is by far the BEST resort, above and beyond any other resort, that we've stayed at in the San Diego area. The staff; house keeping, grounds crew, reception and restaurant staff were exceptionally friendly. We were there for a week to meet family that flew in from the east coast. Our relatives had arrangements at another "chain" hotel. The were not impressed with their place and had wished they had stayed at the Bahia. We all enjoyed a nice sit down dinner at the Bahia restaurant. The food was delicious, service was great and everyone enjoyed dessert. We reserved and received a bayside King room. The room was nicely decorated, new carpet, curtains, blinds. House keeping arrived the same time everyday, the grounds crew even washed and scrubbed the exterior stairs to the upper level rooms. We took the Bahia Belle over to the Catamaran, we enjoyed a pleasant conversation with Captian Ron prior to departure. We also used the onsite watersport rental. Fantastic service. We can't say enough about the property. The seal sanctuary was heart warming. Gracie and Billy are a joy to watch.

Every experience exceeded our expectations. It was a blessing for us to visit, we will be back.

Room Tip: King bay view, early morning sun
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Scott was very friendly and helpful with my check in was kind to his new trainee. Tara, our server at dinner was excellent and friendly, not to mention efficient. I wish I ate at the hotel restaurant earlier in our stay, I probably wouldn't have tried other places.... Tara made it really enjoyable. Desmond was very helpful and friendly as well. Great job on customer service. This is my 5th summer stay and Elide remembered me and welcomed me back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Cmbaca
STROUDSBURG
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Great if one has the time and money to relax, but I attended a convention and was too busy to use anything except the room and the restaurant for breakfast which charged exorbitant prices. I made my reservation months prior to my stay but they had lost the reservation, therefore charging me the convention rate for one night, then the regular rate so I only stayed the 2nd night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Bahia Resort in San Diego from July 4th, 2013 through July 10th, 2013. We have two older girls, therefore I reserved a suite to accommodate us. I was told that this unit would sleep 5 comfortably.
Upon check in I was told that our room was not ready and that they had until 4PM to have the room ready. They told me that I would receive a text, which I did about an hour and a half later. In the mean time they gave me a parking pass, told me to post it on the car and if I lost it I was S.O.L. for the rest of the trip and could not park on site.....OK...Guarded with my life for the rest of the trip.
They directed me back to a "tower" which was at the back of the property. I asked for bell service to meet us, which he did. He proceeded to drop our items out of the cart half way to the room, rolling over food that we had brought for the trip...no biggie..I bought more chips.
We got into an elevator which could not hold all of us. I noticed a strange smell. I mentioned it to the hop. He stated that he could smell it too. It was a musty odor. The hallways were odorous and hot. The room was odorous and hot. I immediately turned on the air and opened the patio door. I found that our room abutted a public park....NICE!!! We had a great view of the bay, RVs, pop up campers, and tents. We also got to experience cars moving around throughout the night. Because our air conditioning unit barely worked, we needed to leave the patio door open to get our room below 80 degrees. There is no central air here....just a window mount unit that works when it feels like it. No rhyme or reason....
Other then the flat panel television and the custom alarm clock the room was very dated. Wall paper was pealing, the carpets looked dirty...just not a very nice place...for what I was paying..over $300 per night.
My two teenage daughters got to sleep on a fold out sofa bed. I was still trying to figure out where we would sleep 5...maybe there was room in the bed next to my wife and I????
The bell hop mentioned that the "resort" was totally booked. Another room was just not going to happen.
This is a hotel bordering on a motel. They advertise amenities such as a spa and a fitness center. The spa is located at their sister property the Catamaran which is across the bay. The fitness center is a square home gym with a couple of cardio machines. What a joke. They have a flat panel outside the elevator touting an elaborate fitness center as well as spa. It makes you think that you are in utopia....NOT!!!! Everything is across the bay.
After returning from a great beach day on Saturday, we found that our room had not yet been attended to. This was 5:30 on Saturday night. I found a maid, who informed me that she had allot of work to do...I had to call Housekeeping to get the room serviced. The wait made us miss a dinner reservation with friends.
I mentioned to the staff at check out that the value just was not there...I paid over $2000.00 and felt ripped off. His response: "We are sorry that you feel that way". He actually said it twice....
Please update do not stay at this facility, at least until they address the issues, or lower their prices...

Room Tip: Stay out of the towers...they are the only units with Kitchenettes, or so I was told. Get a lower le...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank wagnerpest
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We recently had our wedding at the Bahia Resort. Our ceremony was on the private beach and our reception was on the William D. Evans boat. We also had the opportunity to take our wedding pictures in the garden/gazebo area which is so beautiful. It was the most amazing day and working with the Bahia staff, including Beth Hunt, was easy and a great experience. Beth went out of her way to make my day extra special by working with myself and my parents to meet all of our needs and requests. Our guests said it was the best wedding they have ever been to and loved the setting of the beach and then the boat. We also received numerous compliments about the food and how well everything was cooked and presented. We stayed in a suite and it was perfect area for my bridesmaids to get ready in before the wedding. We even stayed an extra day so we could hang by the pool. My parents had a brunch for our out of town guests and we had a private room with a beautiful view of the bay. The staff could not be nicer! I would definitely recommend the Bahia if you are planning an event or just visiting San Diego. You can not beat the location and the beauty of the grounds. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Menifee, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have stayed at the Bahia several times and I personally have been going since my parents first took me 33 years ago. My husband and I have spent a few anniversary trips here and each time we come back wishing we didn't have to leave.

The waitress that served us dinner on 7/5/13 was Tara and she was absolutely amazing ... the best service in the world. She knew it was our anniversary and made us feel so very special.

My husband wanted to have flowers delivered to our room for anniversary surprise and Andy at the customer information desk did wonders in helping my husband.

We plan on going again and again and again ... fantastic staff!

Room Tip: Bungalow rooms on bay front ... so private, serene and romantic
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple