“Great value”

Bahia Resort Hotel
Ranked #30 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I guess the only bad thing is that I didn't really get to spend long enough there to enjoy it all! A family holiday can be a little taxing on the wallet but this place was great value. The sort of place you think is a great price then you book hoping it isn't &%^*!! Well surprised big time! Great place indeed! Lovely views and I am so keen to visit again one day.

Room Tip: Don't go ground level to ensure a great view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Bahia Resort Hotel

Reviewed May 15, 2013

What a lovely hotel. We stayed for two nights as part of a four week trip and this might possibly top the list of hotels we stayed in. Sadly when we arrived our room wasn't ready (we were too early but the travel agent didn't give us check in times) but the receptionist was lovely and offered us a key to the pool area (which we didn't use at all during our stay) and to call us when the room was ready. We decided to go exploring instead and took the short walk to Mission Beach.

The beach is really lovely. It's very long so you would be able to find a spot easily.

The hotel itself is on spit of land so there is sea on either side. While we were waiting we took advantage of the beach sunbeds that belong to the hotel. They are only available one one side as the other has gardens rather than a beach. That's where our room was. There were pluses and minuses to garden rooms - due to the road (only beach access so very quiet and screened by plants) you were set back from the beach so people didn't walk behind your rooms to get to the beach but that also meant there was no sea view.

We didn't try the restaurant so can't comment on that however we did have cooking facilities in our room which made a nice change from eating out. A recommendation to the hotel would be for a washing up bowl in the kitchen. As English folk we've never seen a waste disposal so were a bit scared!!

I really wish we'd had longer here. Our room was beautiful and so comfortable. It was also spotlessly clean and modern. I will make it my mission to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed at and done business at this hotel. If you want to get the flavor of San Diego beach life, this is a great option. Family-friendly, with a laid back beachy vibe.

As with their sister property The Catamaran across the bay, I like how the Bahia has kitchenettes in room (I stayed in the main tower building). It is so handy to be able to cook and have a full size fridge and microwave at your disposal when you are away from home. They are stocked with basic cooking utensils, plates, glasses, etc.

I have eaten at the cafe a few times and enjoyed it as well (expensive as per usual for hotel restaurants, but the food is good).

3 Stars because this is your basic laid back beachy hotel, not a 5 star luxury place...and there's room for improvement. It's older and a bit run down, but nothing horrifying. The interiors could use a face lift for sure, but that would invariably up the cost of staying here. It's great for what it is: staying near the beach without paying a bundle.

Check out the adorable rescued sea lions out front (or seals? Sorry, I always get those mixed up).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed for 1 night via a Groupon deal.

Pros:
1. Clean & quiet room
2. Nice swimming pool
7. Cute rescue seals
8. Cute little kitchenette
9. No lame resort fees
10. Free wi-fi

Cons:
1. Bathroom sink is very small
2. Toilet paper holder is awkwardly placed extremely low to the floor

Overall, my family had a great time. The staff was very friendly and inviting. We plan on coming back!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fam H
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The bathroom floor was dirty, hair in and around the tub. The carpets were gross! The wait staff in the restaurant and bar were rude and disrespectful.the breakfast buffet was gross. The orange juice tasted bad, the bacon burnt and even at free wasn't worth the price! I sat down to dirty coffee cups and flat ware. If I had to pay more than the $99 I paid for the groupon, It would have been grand theft. I came to check out the hotel for my daughters wedding and cannot recommend it to her. The nicest part of the stay was the boat ride.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Samiam236
Traveling CA, General Manager at Bahia Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the Bahia. I am certainly disappointed they your stay was not what you expected it to be.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its staff for the problems you experienced. The issues with your guest room are certainly not typical, nor is it the type of standard I hold at the Bahia. We normally get great reviews about our breakfast buffet, but we certainly failed in your case. I have passed along your comments to the appropriated staff members for review.
I was glad to see your boat ride on one of our Sternwheelers was a pleasurable one.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope you contact me directly so we can discuss the various issues you experienced.

James W. Greene

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are having a great time. Everyone here has been so friendly, helpful, and very accommodating. I have food allergies and the staff has done everything to make it as positive and healthy an experience as possible. Esperanza has been doing an amazing job with our room. We love not having to wash our own dishes ;) And Juan is taking good care of us at breakfast, especially with my dairy allergy. Not only is the area relaxing and the scenery beautiful, but the positive attitude of all the staff have also been a large part in making this a relaxing and wonderful vacation for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

First time at the Bahia as a guest, I work for a resort in AZ. The resort was so relaxing with great views and we could walk to the boardwalk at Mission Bay Beach, Resturants, & Shops.
Loved the rooms by the water & sand beach where my kids were insight from our patio, they built sand castles, found seashells, pulled a starfish right out of the bay! We did the pool & jacuzzi, visited the sea lions, and enjoyed a breakfast buffet during our short visit but it was a great time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family