“Location, location, location”

Bahia Resort Hotel
Ranked #19 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Mission Bay is centrally located to most of the great sites in San Diego, if you have a car. Of course, when visiting anywhere in California, you must have a car. So, the Bahia has the advantage of being on a beautiful bay, close to Sea World, ocean beaches and the all-important freeways. The property has a great private beach, rooms are clean and comfortable, and fitness facilities are good. But it could use a some updating. Rooms are dark and smell old. Maid used a fruity air freshener every day to cover the smell of old. We stayed here as part of a Delta Airlines vacation package, and the price was outstanding! Eat elsewhere to save money.

Room Tip: Ask for a view at check-in.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,202)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife had stayed at the Bahia a few years ago when on a business trip to San Diego. She talked very highly of the place, so when the business trip came around this year to San Diego I decided to tag along this time. I have been to the Carribean numerous times & The Bahia surpassed everything in every way. Nice walks along the bay or very short walk to Mission Beach boardwalk. We were able to upgrade on the spot too, wanted a bay view unit. Never been to California before but I can say we will both be back very soon I hope.

Room Tip: Ask for bay view rooms, cheap upgrade
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was the first stop on our 3 week road trip honeymoon. We got upgraded to a huge bay view room which was great albeit a little chilly. The resort is really big but it still feels friendly and relaxed. The breakfast buffet ($14 each) was amazing, our first taste of American cuisine and we were impressed! The rescue seals are cute! The beach and amusement park is close by and we had a nice run down the sea front. The private beach is beautiful. Thank you Bahia! x

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LittleSparrow81
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I had actually bid on a night's stay at our son's school auction about a year ago. The certificate was about to expire, so we made reservations about two week's prior to that date. The person on the phone taking the reservations was extremely helpful and assisted me in arranging and early check-in as well as upgrading the room (if space permitted). Upon check-in on the day of arrival, the person at the front desk upgraded us from our already upgraded room, so we ended up staying in the suite. The grounds are nice and well kept and there is not only plenty to do on site, but it's location is convenient to Mission Beach as well as a short drive to Sunset Cliffs.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Suite as it has a separate living room and bedroom. The suites are nic...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Location of this hotel is great, we enjoyed views of the bay. Rooms was cold and shabby, but clean, maid service great. Food was overpriced, and there was a limited menu, restaurant service variable. We liked the fact that the parking was free. The room was a good size, and beds were clean and comfortable. We would return.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Perfect location and beautiful landscape- like staying on a small island in the Keys. Staff is friendly and go out of their way to make your stay perfect. Got in late and requested a upgrade. Since they weren't booked, we got a beautiful bayfront suite with a bedroom at no extre charge. Nice amenities in the kitchen made it easy to make meals, coffee maker w/ good coffee, microwave, clean dishes and pans. Awesome. Jacuzzi and pool were wonderful, small gym and game room for the kids. Definitely has the feel of a small resort where you can kick back and really relax. Great breakfasts in the cafe. And don't miss the seals in the front of the property.

Room Tip: My favorite rooms ( and I think I've stayed in every type of room throughout the property over t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was an absolute value and I wouldn't even bother at looking at somewhere else to stay on my next trip. It's not the Hilton but for the middle of the road travelers like myself this is perfect! I don't have much bad to say about this place. My only complaint is small, and it didn't really effect me. Check into the activities, we didn't use any but they do offer them. Service was exceptional, very friendly and the the guest services gentleman was very helpful. Offering us paid tours and giving us free alternatives to tours. Printing maps for us for wherever we needed to go.

The Room:
When we booked with Travelocity we wanted a quick, cheap getaway. So we went with the lowest priced room. The gardenview room. We ended up with a bayview room (which had been an upgrade!). One level ground floor. 20' from the beach. Sliding glass doors to Patio to grassy area to beach. The room was large enough and adequate. Room was dated but quite clean. Free wifi worked well and there is a safe. We had no real issues with noise and had no trouble parking. I would think that there wouldn't be as much an issue parking in these 'villa' style rooms as there maybe if you stayed in the towers.

Here is my one complaint....the bathroom was equipped with tub/shower. The shower head was placed so low I can't even comprehend how that could happen. I am 5' and it was maybe only 2" above my head. So no problem for me but my friend is about 5'7" and had quite the issue rinsing. Weird. I didn't like the pressure (maybe if it was a different showerhead it would have been different) and the water temperture would fluctuate while having a shower. My friend's young daughter had the water go very hot on her a few times.

The resort has great pathways for running and walking. We felt safe in the area and around the resort. The location is awesome, nice park across the street with a few different beaches ...quiet, somewhat secluded and close to just about everything. Belmont Park (nothing too exciting) is a short walk and there are a few cool shops and restaurants in the area.
By car....5 minutes to Pacific beach...great shops, restuarants and nightlife. Under 10 minutes to Seaworld and Old towne. 15 minutes to car rental area, airport and most other attractions (Gas light quarter, Seaport, Petco, Downtown etc).

The restaurant service staff was above average. Extremely accomodating and professional. It has been a long time since I have received that level of service. The food was amazing, but get in early for the breakfast buffet....as later in the morning it will have sat for awhile.

I could go on but why not go try for yourself?

Room Tip: We had room 125, ground floor one level bay view room. Awesome! But since we only stayed in one ro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends