“full of surprises!”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“full of surprises!”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Our Bahia Resort stay was full of great surprises! The beautiful bay and a free cruise on the Bahia Belle around it, two adorable rescued seals on the property, a great swimming pool and spa with full service bar and free kid's video arcade, free parking and a great staff - couldn't have been better - can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The mini-suite was perfect for two!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland,OR
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in the Bahia Resort Hotel in room 138. I loved the location of the hotel, we could walk to Mission Blvd and the ocean, very close to Seaworld and town. We were on the Bay side with a main floor suite- pull out couch bed in living area (even though our reservation said 2 queen beds...), and a room with a queen bed. The room was old, the mattress on the bed was very uncomfortable, the pull out couch bed wasn't bad though. We had an infestation of little sugar ants- no big deal, other than that the room was clean and not moldy or musty.
The bedroom window has shutter windows so that the sound from the parking lot- right outside the room was very loud. Also when room 140 was shutting their door- they slam- it felt like they were in our bed with us. Our room was next to the housekeepers closet room, so not ideal for sleeping in. I'm told 131 is the concierge's favorite room, although old- it does not have noisy feet above it (like ours did) and is on the corner- so neighbor only on one side. I'm also told that the 300 level rooms are the best right on the water. Their view is obstructed though by the two large "paddle" style ships that are moored there and it is on the boardwalk that you would take to go to Mission Blvd- so lots of eyes outside your sliding door.
I liked the location of our room because it was more private. You walked out the slider and right onto a patio, then grass, then sand, then water- NICE! The bay was perfect for floating, renting boats, sailing and laying out on the loungers that they have. There is a public beach right on the other side, but lots of vegetation make it difficult to walk through on the beach side. The towers have been remodeled, they look like they have great views, but they overlook the public beach which had lots of people, parties, hangers out.
The people at the resort were very nice and the pizza in the restaurants was very good. The breakfast we had at the resort was good too.
The pool was awesome (not large, no slides or anything like that- just a nice hotel style pool with a hot tub.) They have a nice workout room with treadmills- good air conditioning in there and next to that is the video game room- all the games are free!! Very popular with our family- Golden Tee and car race games.
My understanding is that they are remodeling the resort one section at a time. Although the tower rooms are better, I don't like their location as well and we wanted to be right on the sand. The weather on the bay was better than the beach- not as windy and cloudy. The water was warm and the sailing was great.

Room Tip: Hope for remodeling of bay front rooms 100-150...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vacationformeri
Reviewed June 27, 2011

When we pulled into the Bahia on a Friday around 3pm and there was a line out the lobby door with people trying to check in. Once I made my way to the front, the check in process was simple and easy. We drove down to our room, which was no easy chore because the parking lot was packed, and there was no place to turn around. Once you got to the end, if you hadn't found a parking
space, you had to do a 3-point turn in the driving lane.
We got to our room and as soon as I opened the door, I said, "Oh no." There was a dingy smell and when I flipped on the light switch, nothing happened. It was so dark. I was very disappointed in the room quality.
We had a downstairs room facing the bay. On the patio

, the lawn chairs were dirty and uninviting. The bathroom was sparse and I just really was unimpressed. To make matters worse, when I got in the shower so I could get ready to go to dinner--there was NO hot water. And at times, the shower water was ICE COLD.
I called maintenance and they "fixed" it, but the next day I had the same problem. I called maintenance again and they were going to fix it again. That night, the toilet ran ever 3-5 minutes. It woke me up at 1am and I could never fully go back to sleep. The next morning, I went down to the front desk and spoke with the manager.
He immediately offered us a new room and also moved all of our stuff while we were out atthe beach for the day. His name is Scott and he was the best part of the hotel. He did not give me the "run around" and he did his best to make our stay more enjoyable.
Unfortunately, the shower drain didn't work in the new room, and the toilet still ran... But we had HOT water. It
was very nice!
All in all, I was disappointed in the place. It was Way too crowded--there were at least 4 weddings each day and there were numerous other activities...just way too crowded. Scott was great and I appreciate his hospitality. But honestly, I spent as little time as possible at the hotel because it was overcrowded, it had no "resort feel", and it just felt and looked dingy.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Jjenrek
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The rooms were very nice at the Bahia. The room was large (we had a king and a pull out sofa) and the mini kitchen was wonderful. Refrig and freezer, microwave, toaster, stove and oven! It also comes with kitchenware. We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and there were multiple weddings going on in our building (the 600 tower across from the lobby). It was horrible! The noise coming from the music and people was awful. It went on past midnight. The walls were shaking it was so bad. I can't believe they put people in this tower with that type of noise. My husband had a race Saturday morning and had a problem sleeping. If you check in at the Bahia, make sure to request a room not in this building.

4 Thank scootermae16
NH
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Since my spouse was attending a conference at the Bahia in early June, we assumed a windowless boring same-old grind chain-type hotel. We were so happily wrong! What we found was a tropical paradise, even nicer than their own website. The low room rate made it an incredible value for all we got.
After a speedy check in two hours early (thank you!) we parked next to our harborside room. We were thrilled with the kitchen suite with two queens, huge balcony, fully stocked kitchen (with seating!) and vanity. The condition was spotless. I could not find a speck of dirt anywhere in the kitchen or bath. The daily cleaning staff did even more than I expected, which included washing our dishes. I couldn't find a note to let housekeeping know we didn't require fresh linens every day, (to conserve energy), but I couldn't find such a note that is found in most hotels these days.
First night we strolled their extensive and mature gardens and marveled at the sheer quantity of lush palms, flowering trees and pond and fountains. We said hello to the blind harbor seals, now safe in a habitat at the Bahia. Checked out their nice giftshop and bought discount tickets to San Diego Zoo there, as well as some snacks and drinks. The lounge at the Bahia is really fun. Walk through a Morroccan door and you feel like you are in a movie set with crazy fan contraption overhead. I with we had time to dine in the outdoor restaraunt with fountain and fireplace and beautiful tiles. Maybe next visit! We continued the walk ten minutes to Belmont Park (amusement park) and California party beach, Mission Beach. Next day we also walked the 2.5 mile boardwalk to resort neighbor, Paradise Pier to check out their lookout tower, which we had seen from our room. We saw an entire wing of the resort is being renovated. They were putting in new rugs and furniture while we were there. In the evening we dunked in the awesome hot tub and loved the set up with lots of space, and tropical colors and music.
The conference room had the most gorgeous full window view of the charming bay with triple-decker antique paddleboats (more on that below). Also, the conference beverages, lunch and cocktail hour were fantastic, as were the staff. The view also showed a playground right on the sand for children and various rentals, including bikes, kayaks and sailboats.
Weekly beginning Wednesdays, the Bahia Belle vintage paddle boat cruises around the picturesque harbor (which we got a "free" evening cruise as guests). There is live music and cheap yet great cocktails and sanwiches on board. Guest get off and on the boat every 60 minutes or so. Or better yet, just stay on it for the night (adults only 9:30 til the wee hours).
We were less than two miles from Old Town. 40 miles to Legoland, two hours to Disneyland, 30 minutes to the Zoo (yes, we did all of these!) The hotel has a helpful brochure with directions to these and more. We will be back!

Room Tip: San Diego is a wonderful vacation spot
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank NorthByNorthwestNh
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed at the Bahia for a conference last week and really enjoyed myself. The room (actually a suite) was clean & comfortable. I had a view of the bay, and the room provided a couch for lounging & reading. I think because the hotel might be older, the tub was also big enough to be cozy for soaking (many newer facilities have smaller tubs). The staff were very friendly and helpful at all hours. The business center could be expanded & made more comfortable for guests, as it is very small, but I was able to check email & use the internet whenever I needed, so this wasn't a problem (fyi, I didn't bring my laptop so didn't use their wifi & cannot comment on this). The facilities have two seals that they care for, which adds a very peaceful feeling to the location. I didn't visit the bar, but the restaurant was nice for breakfast. The staff run a shuttle up to the incredible spa located at their other facility, the Catamaran (although if you are a walker, you could just head out). Loved the spa, needed the cucumber water & massage. Being near the ocean, I walked 3 miles on the boardwalk the first night in town. Really good sushi right next door. I would definitely recommend the hotel & would come back, should I return to San Diego in the future.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a bay view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KCSFCA
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Was told this was the best hotel on the Bay. Was extremely disappointed within minutes of driving through. !/2 to 3/4 of the resort was under construction. Very little parking at all unless you want to park under ladders and construction crews. Room was very dated, carpet stained, a little smelly. Look like no updated since early 80's. Every time someone in hotel turns on water pipes make loud noises, all night long. Private beach is tiny. Does not feel like a 4 star hotel. The only thing good about the room was the view. But don't plan on your sliding door staying open, it's a constant fight!! This was supposed to be our anniversary trip, wow how sad!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple