“The grounds are very well kept.”
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

Bahia Resort Hotel
Ranked #29 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed for two nights in Apr 24- 26th. Booked on Hotwire for $68.00. We had a bayfront room that you walk onto the patio and into the water of the bay we paid to upgrade to a water front room at check in for an other $35.00 a night. Best of all is there is free parking and with the bay front rooms you park right at your room. The room was a good size and it had a fridge in it. This room still needs to be updated and the shower did not drain very good at all. The room was clean and had a very good a/c in it. It is close to Belmont park and to the beach it is walking distance. The seals at the hotel is cool as well. Overall this is a nice place and will be even better when the upgrade is done.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 26, 2011

I stayed at the resort back in December 2010, but I still can't get this place out of my head and not in a good way. Whoever they paid to do their website is amazing and should get a medal because the resort looks NOTHING like the website.

Driving to the hotel from the airport is easy if you have directions & a map. When you pull into the entrance, it looks nice enough, but there is no parking in front of the lobby. They have the nicest buildings up front. As you drive to your room, I noticed the buildings get worse & worse. NONE of the buildings match each other. It looks like 5 different hotels are on one property.

We booked a room with a garden view. We got a room on the 2nd floor. We didn't have a room with a garden view, but we did get a view of the inlet (almost the beach), but there's a nice road running in front of our view....... Before leaving I did read reviews about the smell of the rooms and I though those people just weren't used to staying at beach hotels. Boy those people weren't kidding!! The smell is horrible!! I've stayed at many beach hotels/cottages etc and they never smelled like this. It smells like mold, wet sand, and cheap cleaning supplies. The 3 nights we were there, I didn't see any roaches (at least I didn't see any). As soon as we got to our room, we opened up the doors & the windows to air everything out, but as soon as you leave for the day, the room gets that nice aroma again. We did have a broken window in our room and the guy that came to "fix" it, just used a trash bag & duct tape until it could be completely fixed after we left. I would bet money that it still hasn't been fixed....... The rooms in short reminded me of bad military housing. If you ever lived in military housing, you will just "love" the concrete cinder blocks...

The kitchen we didn't use. We kept bottled water in the fridge and that's it. I didn't notice the appliances or silverware to be dirty though.

I think the location is good if you have a car. It's a short drive to Sea World and you can walk to the beach down the street. I think it's Mission Beach and they do have a carnival type thing that is always running. It has one of the oldest working wooden roller coaster which is pretty cool. It is about a 30 minute drive to the San Diego Zoo, but it's worth it.

The restaurant on the resort is OK. The food we had wasn't good, but it's wasn't bad either. Service is a hit or miss, but nothing to really complain about.

The rescued Seals, were very active when I was there. They were playing with each other and they were entertaining. They seemed like they were well fed.

I will never stay here again. The price just doesn't match the rooms/grounds. For $400.00 + dollars a night, I can get a nice suite in Vegas. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank sarahcuda
Reviewed April 24, 2011

If you watch a chargers game from minnisota,kansas city or Denver in December its 87 Degress.I love the hotel the beds were soft the gift shop is a little expenseve but its real great

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2011

This is an older resort, but that have done decent job of keeping up with maintenance. During our stay they were remodeling several rooms, but it didn't affect us. We stayed in a king suite with kitchenette. Loved how spacious the room was. Views of the bay are pleasant, but the real value of this place it the short walk to Mission Beach and Belmont Park. There is plenty of eateries around the beach, but the kitchenette proved useful for breakfasts. Traffic could get ugly in front of the resort as Sea World closed or game let out of the sport park. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly. We had gotten our rooms a very low price, but knowing their usual rates I would say the hotel is a moderate value. We weren't looking to spend much time at the resort after our first two days of beaching (gotta hit the amusement parks of So Cal) so we saved money and stayed elsewhere the rest of the time, but a week long stay would have been very pleasant. The seal feeding time was fun for the kids and the Bahia Belle is o.k. (definitely best in the day time). We were pleasantly surprised that the pool actually had a deep end of 10 feet. That seems to be more rare in hotels these days.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Casandrajb
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I was offered an email special, buy one night get one night for half off. I got a great price and with the half off I was able to stay a third night too. The rooms are clean and have everything you would need (mine had a small well equipped kitchen). My room was right on the bay which was beautiful and very relaxing. I brought some friends who had never been there before and they are already making plans to come back this summer with their families. THe hotel's location is perfect. It is walking distantce from the beach, amusement park, shops, and resturants. It is only minutes away from Old Town and downtown.

Room Tip: Check out the online specials.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2011

We stayed in a Marina Suite, which gave us the option of preparing our own breafast and snacks. The suite was huge, clean and modern with a great view of the harbour from our balcony. We were offered this upgrade from a standard room when we requested kitchen facilities for our week long stay.

Room Tip: It never hurts to ask.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jlw45
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Having read mixed reviews on this place, I was somewhat reluctant to book this. However, I got such a good rate through British Airways Holidays that I thought I'd take a chance. We were not disappointed!

Although we only had 4 nights here, we had a great time. I have previously stayed at PARADISE POINT RESORT, which is not too far away from this place. Paradise point is much more expensive than BAHIA BAY, which makes BAHIA BAY seem great value and has free parking, unlike Paradise Point.

Bahia Bay is in a great location, although you really should have a car for your stay. The pool here looked fine, but, the weather was a bit too chilly for a dip. The Jacuzzi looked massive and very inviting, but, with a 12 month baby this was'nt for me. The grounds, in general, were nice. All members of staff were always polite and friendly.

We stayed in the newer block (refurbished rooms) and had a room with a bay (and road)view. The room was great and had a mini fridge and microwave. Most importantly, the bed was very comfy! The only issue we had was the noise from the road. We decided we thought it was worth moving for the remaining 3 nights so we had a word at reception. The manager was very receptive and offered us a great deal to move into one of the Marina suite/studios (can't remember what it was called but it was the best option available). This room was fantastic with an amazing view of the water. All the mod cons were present in this accomodation. Very pleased and would love to stay there again.

We did use the onsite restaurant and found the food, surprisingly, really good quality and reasonably priced too. They had some lovely real ales on tap too. The guy in the bar there, Marion, was simply brilliant! Excellent service and genuinely friendly.

Being honest, Paradise Point is a superior resort, but, at a massive premium! So, in my view, way over-priced. If you choose to stay at Bahia Bay, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Try and use the free paddle boat too, which goes to their sister property across the bay. The boat looked fantastic, but, due to the time of the year was'nt running whilst we were there in February.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family