“Find another hotel!”

Ranked #158 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Denmark
“Find another hotel!”
Reviewed August 11, 2006

What an odd place this is! We (2 adults and 2 teenagers) had booked and paid our room in advance, got to the hotel, checked in and got a key to a room ... only to find out that the room was already occupied by someone else!!!! We went back to the reception and had to wait the longest time while the totally uncommitted staff looked for another room for us - and finally we were offered an "upgrade" to a suite. This meant that we needed two extra beds in the room because it only had one double bed ... and we got the lousiest extra beds with totally worn out mattresses, and then the people in the reception wanted us to pay for one of the extra beds! What an "upgrade" to be offered by the staff. Of course we protested and finally managed not to have to pay any more for the needed four beds we had already paid for.
Aside from the not very helpful staff (if you go here, ask for Michael in the reception - he was the only truly helpful and nice person at the hotel, but unfortunately he wasn't there when we checked in), the air-condition was incredibly loud and excess water from it was running all over the place outside the room, the clientele at the hotel consists mostly of business people and truck drivers needing an overnight stay (on the positive side this meant that we had the pool almost to ourselves at all times ...), and the hotel's location is just not very good - you're simply too far away from everything San Diego has to offer, even when you have a car (which is necessary in this area).
If this hotel wants to have a future, the staff surely needs to put on a more accomodating attitude so you actually feel welcome when showing up ... and some needed improvements as to the beds and the air condition would help a lot too. But my best recommendation is: Find somewhere else to stay, it's just not worth it to stay at this place.

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank Henrik22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Winters, CA
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Old motel in need of remodeling. Spend a little more and stay somewhere else! Advertised as "non smoking room" yet room reeked of cigarettes!

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank lfcreamer

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2006

This hotel is horrible!!! The staff knew nothing and this hotel is so far from everything. They lied about everything and this hotel is the worse I have ever stay at....

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CA
Reviewed January 24, 2006

I only spent one night here--but it will be my last. The bathroom and floor were filthy. I did not check this out right away as I should have. I kept my shoes on and took a sponge bath in the morning. The heat did not work and there were no extra blankets (I discovered this when I was already in bed). The only ok thing was a thick pad was placed on the bed under the sheet, so the bed was fairly comfortable--but it rattled whenever I moved. I did try to view the room before I took it, but they made me pay first(after telling me they could not verify the government charge card the reservation was made with). Not a pleasant experience at all.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Caribe-2
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 24, 2005

I stayed here on a weeknight to get some desperately needed sleep from a daily commute totalling 4 hours (stayed here one night so as not to have to commute home). All I really wanted to do was sleep. My first interruption came at 10:30pm when someone was pounding loudly on my door - being by myself (and a female), I looked discretely out the window and saw a taxi cab waiting outside my room. I did not open the door, but the cab was outside for about 15 minutes and I couldn't fall back asleep until I was sure it had left. At 1:30am, I was awakened by the sound of people talking loudly and walking back and forth on the upstairs walkway - the walls are very thin in these rooms. Then, at 2:30am, the phone rang (very loudly), but no one was there. Again, I couldn't immediately fall asleep. I had to get up at 5:00am and was tired from all the disruptions.

The room descriptions given by others are accurate - the room is small with thin walls, the carpet is very worn, the shower is super tiny. For the price, it isn't too bad, but it's not too nice either. Definitely wouldn't want to stay for more than a night.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Every Hotel/Motel should put the most into the mattress quality. That's the #1 thing I check for each time I stay somewhere. In our 2 queen, one was newer and too firm, and the other was worn out and sagging. When I find a place with great beds, I never go anywhere else in that town. We will try somewhere else next time, but the deal was great at $71/night for 3 nights. It's cheaper, because its 5 miles north up the 163 from Hotel Circle. The staff was perfect. They resopnded to our every need. They offered to change our rooms to the newer ones, but we were settled in already. We asked for a microwave and got it (no chg). The grounds are very well kept (in a mom & pop sort-of-way). The older rooms (Building A, B, C, or D) are huge, and we chose them over the newer, smaller rooms in Building E with newer mattresses (only because we were already unpacked). Look out for this: A, B, C, D have only a 3x3 shower; while E has shower/bathtubs (same price). The walls in 240 were thin enough that my wife and I were given an awakening performance by our next door neighbors. We didn't use the pool, but it was heated and looked great.

The summary: If your San Diego budget is below $100/night, this is a great pick. You need a car if you stay here, which is okay, it is still only 5 extra minutes to Sea World, Zoo, beaches, harbor, etc.

This is a great ** (2 star), but a stretch at *** (3 star).

• Stayed October 2005