“Great location, rooms and excellent customer service.”

Ramada San Diego North Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #154 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Stayed at the Ramada During Easter Weekend. The rooms were clean, the staff provided anything extra needed. The rooms were large and the beds very comfortable. The restuarant had good food and reasonable prices but the location was the best part of it. Close to downtown nightlife, the ocean and lots of great restuarants. The customer service from the staff was excellent and it was very quite and well kept up. Would stay there again and recommend it to others for the price, you can't beat it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 6, 2009

My boyfriend was coming to San Diego and we needed a place to stay for the night. The room was nice and clean. It wasn't a busy weekend so it was very quiet. For the price, this is well worth the stay. I would definitely come back here. The front desk was very helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank havefuninsd
Reviewed November 7, 2008

We stayed for a couple nights over Halloween weekend.

We originally used Travelocity to find affordable hotels in the area, and found this Ramada at the perfect midpoint between our destinations at $65/night. Excellent price and the reviews were generally favorable. I went directly to the hotel's website and booked there to avoid agency fees. This was painless and it was the same reasonable price.

Getting to the hotel was very easy. Parking is acceptable and apparently very safe. The front desk people were efficient and functionally friendly, which is precisely how I like it. I am not real fond of overly talkative front desk people. Courtesy and efficiency are my two requirements, and this hotel had them.

The hotel's layout is one of an older property built in the 70's, having a "garden style" layout. It was kind of nice to have a walkway near a lawn and lots of greenery. We were at first worried because we were given a first floor room right next to the housekeeping laundry room! Fortunately that was never a problem and noises from that place were minimal.

The room was reasonably spacious and the furnishings didn't look as old as the hotel itself. First quirk was there was no switch near the entrance to turn on a light! The king sized bed was a pillowtop, though my side of it had a slight mattress sag in it, but not enough to be upset about. Pillows were very nice and more supportive than your typical one. The work desk was a joke. It had a huge office chair that was nearly larger than this desk itself! Just looked odd. The TV cabinet was also on the small side.

There was a BIG sliding door closet with mirrored doors which you'd expect to see in a home, not a hotel. The bathroom was amusing. The toilet area had its own alcove, as did the shower, with the sink in the entrance area. We were making jokes about finding a minotaur in this maze!

The worse part of this room was the shower. It was a standup shower with no tub. First, the shower area was a bit small for me, second, the showerhead had very little pressure and set low so tall people like myself would have to kneel to get water on your head. Showering was bordering on annoying because of these two things! My much smaller girlfriend said she had no problem.. so this is not a room for tall people! (I'm only 6' 1")

Generally.. the hotel was VERY quiet, one of the quietests ones I've ever stayed in, and that was fantastic! There were plenty of other guests, so the solitude wasn't because of the place being empty.

Be careful and wary of hotel taxes and fees tacked on to your bill when you book the place. Get your final price before reserving. My bill was about $8/night higher because I had *thought* the $65/night included these taxes. Read the small print.

Overall, I'm pleased with the experience for the price I paid, though I would seriously shop around next time I'm in the area. The poor water pressure and cramped shower stall would have me looking at other properties first, but I wouldn't avoid this place if they had the best deal going.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Skorzy
Reviewed September 3, 2008

My family and I have been travelling the States and Canada for 6 weeks and staying at 2-5 class hotels. This is the best yet.
I love this place. I love the rooms as they are spacious, they have nintendo setup on the tv for the kids, a fridge and I just love the layout of the hotel. The pool and spa is to die for. Oh and this is the best yet... they make dinner for just $8.95 pp or $6 for the kids by the poolside and the food was DELICIOUS! Free soda drinks for the kids as well. It's a bargain and a must. I really like the fact that it's right off the 163 freeway easy to go anywhere. It took us 25 min to get to the Mexico border. The service is the best as well, friendly and frontdesk telephoned me in my room after we booked in. This gets a big 5star rating from me. I'll be back again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank willywallywish
Reviewed July 27, 2008

When we arrived at night the hotel seemed very crowded and loud. Some people were sitting out on the walkways drinking, on laptops, etc. Parking was available.

No elevators. Our 2nd floor room was OK- sheets look and smelled clean- room itself was average. Curtains were falling off the rod and the bathroom was in so-so condition.

This is an OK place to sleep for a short time. Would not consider it for a longer san diego stay. There are much better hotels at comparable prices.

Oh, the wireless worked GREAT! That was a bonus

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank VAJane
Reviewed July 14, 2008

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Although it's not the nicest hotels around it is really good. I stay here almost every two weeks and have yet to be disappointed. My most recent stay was in there King size room and little by little they are remodeling all the rooms in the hotel. This time I had the remodeled room and it looked amazing. The t.v worked great and the room was really clean.

I have had the two queen bed room before also, very nice room. Although a little cramped still pretty nice. Rooms in the first few buildings are a little outdated but they are working on that.

They have a standard suite which is usually pretty clean and comfortable. It's nice because it has a large king bed with a sofa sitting area. It has a small kitcknette with just a sink and a counter area.

They also have a deluxe suite which you can usually find through hotels.com . The nice thing about the deluxe suite is the room is really large. It has a sitting area, and although the its a studio suite and everything is in the same room its very spacious. The kitchen in this room is very nice because it has to range burners.

Overall this hotel is one of my favorite. I wouldn't pay anything over 100 for it though. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice hotel for not a lot of money.

Oh and the area is really nice.

The breakfast is amazing although a little pricy. If you book directly through the hotel with the AAA rate they give you a voucher for a free breakfast in the morning.

1  Thank jreelfs
Reviewed July 11, 2008

First off we booked this hotel after looking at tripadvisor and Hotels dot com, but we decided to contact them direct.

Pior to our arrival we phone the hotel to ask what time we could check in and we were told that we could check in at the time, our phone converstation was a little skecty.

Check in was really fast and very friendly service!

Our room could have been better...but at the same time it could have been worse. Opon opening the door there was a lot of grass clippings on the carpet, luckily the housekeeper was just a room over so we asked her to vaucum and she did it with out any problem. The desk, armoire and bed side tables had huge nicks and worned out. The mini fridge was not turn on so at first we thought it was broken. The bathroom door looked as though it has been in a fight and lost...there were large patch holes and after our two day say a corner of the door feel off. I was really looking forward to a tub and was shocked to only see a shower.

The good thing about the room is that it had an oversized closet, a really large bathroom. and it was very clean. The wireless internet was very easy to conect to. The hotel was in a very good area, very close to everything we never were more than 10 miles from the attrations of the Zoo and Sea World.

After two days of walking all over the parks it was wonderful to come back and soak in the hot tub and swim in the pool.

I gave this hotel a neutral rating beacuse that is just how I felt there was nothing terrible about the hotel, and certainly nothing excellent either.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family