“Fair value for the price”

Ramada San Diego North Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #161 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Fresno, CA
“Fair value for the price”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

There's nothing special about this Ramada, but there's also not much to complain about as long as you keep your expectations in check. It's an older hotel with exterior rooms, but the price is right and you'll get free parking and WiFi, which is no small thing in San Diego. No breakfast, but you're also paying less than you probably would at other hotels nearby.

Front desk was helpful and able to get us checked in early, and we didn't have any problems during our stay. Great location (close to 163 freeway) is a big plus. As long as you're not expecting a newer Ramada (or even an older Sheraton), you'll be content here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 56waldorf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Carroll Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Visited San Diego for Comic-Con this summer and snagged this hotel for a decent price on an opaque booking site. For the price we paid, this hotel was fantastic. The room was very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the refrigerator, microwave, and wi-fi were all nice additions. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The biggest downside to this hotel was its location. Although it is very close to several major highways, it is a solid 7 miles from downtown San Diego, and a bit of a drive to the Qualcomm trolley (we expected this and factored it into our trip). The lack of restaurants within walking distance means this hotel is definitely for someone driving in or renting a car. It is, however, a central location between San Diego and attractions in La Jolla and Torrey Pines. Some reviews have mentioned the aircraft from MCAS Miramar. The hotel is definitely close to Miramar, and we did see several military craft fly over the hotel. With that said, the planes never woke us from our sleep, and I would not hesitate to return. To sum up, this hotel was a fantastic value find for us, and would be a great stay again in the future. However, if you are looking to be in the heart of downtown, this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: This is a motel setup, so I always recommend a non-ground floor room if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank grvdggr71
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The room was very roomy and was clean, actually to clean the smell of the products they used were a little over barring for me that i had to open the door to air the room out before getting comfortable. The hotel was nice, quiet & customer service was excellent. I was a little bummed by them not porviding breakfast, but they did have a restaruant on site, that i did not eat at. I would stay here again if i ever wander back to San Diego!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel was clean, convenient and has nice location with quick access to I-805 and Hwy 163. Staff were friendly. I stayed there for a week while on a business trip. Only issue was one night (out of five I spent there) when the fighter jets from MCAS Miramar kept flying until midnight and I was not able to sleep. I guess it's the sound of Freedom, so no complaint here...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank traveler0123456
Austin, TX
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed here with my family and I had no real complaints. I did like the frig and the microwave and the free Wi-Fi. My kids used the pool and jacuzzi everyday and really liked the two. There were a nice mix of people out there and they had no problem finding others to play with.

The location was great in that it was off a main road and it was easy to get to places in town (with some driving, yes, but nothing that bad). My only real issue with the area is that there is nothing but chain places out there so there weren't any great options if you wanted to eat out.

The staff was friendly and helpful (although I didn't really meet with anyone other than check in/out). I didn't eat there so I can't say anything about the meal.

I'd stay again especially if the price was right.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dugg
Boston
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Recently stayed here for business trip to San Diego. It was very well-priced - about $60 per night - and was clean. Plenty of parking right in front of my room any time of the day. Quiet, was able to get work done during the day and at night. Sat at the pool with my laptop, which was a nice treat. Room had a fridge, which was a nice bonus. Staff were very friendly. When I first came in, I was visibly stressed and tired from a long trip east to west. The person at the desk greeted me warmly, which was such a nice welcome. Also, the motel is centrally located so it made it very easy for me to get to business meetings.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JoannaLovesBoston
Dublin
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Advantages:
- Free parking
- Excellent rooms with modern decor
- Large flatscreen TV
- Fridge and microwave
- Great pool and jacuzzi
- It is a business hotel so it was very quiet all day / night

Disadvantages:
- No breakfast
- You will need a car as it is far from most sites

Would I return? Yes, if I had a car.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed nice. We were on the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple