“Terrible for business travellers”

The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #67 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 15, 2006

Multiple problems with my stay. The hotel had overbooked, so on my arrival told me they were sending me for 1 night to the Holiday Inn and that they were taking care of it. They paid for neither the taxi to the other hotel or the other hotel room, as is the customary practice in such cases. When I finally got to check in to my room the next day, the bathroom still had dirty towels in the tub and there were empty shopping bags in the room. I signed up to have breakfast delivered within a 15 minute window the next morning and it was 10 minutes later than that window and no one would answered the phone when I tried to call room service about it. When I complained at the front desk, I got no resolution to the problems. Overall, a very pretty hotel with terrible service.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business

Orange County, CA
Reviewed February 21, 2006

They don't tell you that they are located directly across from the busy, dirty and loud Greyhound Bus Terminal. The dated decor is old. The staff kept telling us that they will be re-painting soon, but meanwhile the hotel room and hallways felt old and it was clearly in need of an update. Room service was prompt, but they had no carts to bring the food up on. Two of our fellow business travelers had no heat in their room and were not moved to other rooms. While San Diego is a great place to visit, I would recommend the hotels on the waterfront near Seaport village or other hotels on Coronado Island. I felt like I was staying in a Motel rather than a hotel.

Reviewed January 11, 2006

I stayed here over 4th of July and was pleasantly surprised with the size of the rooms. My friend was staying at the W and our standard room here was at least 3 times as large. The whole hotel had a very hip design, like the W, but the price here was much better. We ate at the cafe for breakfast which was pretty good as well. The front desk was very helpful and even printed out our boarding passes so we wouldn't have to wait at the airport. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank laurengucsb
Reviewed January 2, 2006

We attended a wedding reception at the Bristol. The reception on the 9th floor was good with the dancing under the open ceiling. But other than that, it was a disappointing experience. The major problem was lack of parking. Then had none when we arrived. I believe they accept local shoppers and business parking and don't hold spaces for guests. We had to park four blocks away in a pay lot, and about the same distance for street meter parking, that had a 2 hour limit. Constantly having to walk to the car to feed the meter or pay more at the lot took much of the enjoyment from the visit. Also the hotel front desk would not make change for the meters, but other local merchants would. I was able to move my car to the hotel about 6pm. The only other overnight parking a few blocks away required pickup by 6am or 7am.

I would never recommend staying at the hotel. There are too many other choices in the area.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank CharlesFremont_CA
Reviewed November 1, 2005

Very clean. Easy to walk to Gaslamp quater and Horvath Mall. Lots of restaurants to choose from. We were also given a choice of "view" with some noise or quiet and no view. We chose the view side. You do get a glimpse of the oceanliner dock and can see plenty of ships floatingby, however the bus depot loading area is right across the street. I don't think it matters how high up you are. They had buses idleing in the lot all night long. And then the announcements start about 5 am.

Our bathroom had a solid pocket door but it was so heavy and no handle to use, it was easier to just leave it open. I thought the water temp was just fine. The hair dryer worked.

The one thing I didn't like was the lock on the refrigerator. There is a mini bar in it and you have to decide at check in if you want the key. I just wanted to keep some beers cold, luckily I don't mind a warm ale.

Staff was friendly. The hotel is cool with modern designs and artwork.
$18 to valet park, or you can risk parking on the street if you can find a place.
Breakfast was good but overpriced, I would go elsewhere for that next time.

I would stay here again.

2  Thank Bonpierce
England
Reviewed October 24, 2005

We absolutely loved this hotel. Everywhere is bright and clean and our room was gorgeous, 'fresh', and spotless. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was devine at a fair price. We didn't have any noise disturbance from the Greyhound station opposite at all. We would highly recommend this hotel. The only thing we didn't like was the unlockable sliding door to the bathroom.

Roslyn, WA
Reviewed October 14, 2005

CONS:
Hotel clerk started by offering us an "upgrade" so we could have a view (Greyhound bus station).
-Room had a bathroom sliding louvered door with no privacy, handle or lock.
-We stayed on the "quiet" side. So many people running up and down the halls, slamming doors, yelling like they were at a ball game at 2 AM.
-Staff unfriendly, rude, unknowledgeable (except the maids were nice and polite).
-Restaurant very expensive menu and we went in there but no one was there so we left and got a sandwich down the street.
-We felt very unwelcome at this hotel. Everyone else in San Diego were so nice to us we couldn't figure out why our hotel staff was so bad.
-TV had no stations of interest unless you paid higher prices for what you watched. Awful.

PROS:
-Maids kept our room spotless and were very nice to us saying "good morning" etc.
-Close to a lot of downtown activities, dining, and transportation.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member