“What a great find!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sidney, Canada
“What a great find!!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This Boutique Hotel in a very central part of downtown San Diego was such a huge bonus for us to find. The corner room 607 was beautifully appointed and had huge windows with a great view of the city. We opened the window ( nice perk) at night for fresh air. It was not noisy. When we walked in we said WOW! They even provided bathrobes!

The front desk staff, a lovely lady whose name I cannot remember, was very efficient and friendly and went out of her way to give us a very early check in. She said she was quite new to the hotel, but one would not know it as we watched her multi task her job with several guests arriving at the desk at the same time. Thank you pretty lady.

We decided to eat dinner at the hotel Bar & Grille. Another WOW. I had the pasta with barbequed salmon - the best I've ever tasted, it was fresh not frozen, and my hubby had his all time favourite Meat Loaf. We cleaned our plates completely. They had a fabulous wine - Leese Fitch Cabernet and we enjoyed 3 glasses of that. The young female server was so cute and attentive and she was definitely a good will ambassador for her hotel. A happy employee always gives good service!

We had an early flight and the hotel chauffeur Moe took us to the airport in his immaculate Town Car for less than it would cost us to drive in a well used city taxi.

We just love San Diego and it is our first destination of choice in sunny California. No Los Angeles for us. Would we stay here again? Definitely. We will be back for a longer stay next time and we will book directly with the hotel again. We find it's not cheaper to book another way. We always get the best, and correct information directly from the hotel.

We travel for about 60 - 70 days per year and we have stayed in many over rated dumps that we have found on line. Not the case here. It's a TEN.

Room Tip: maybe ask for a room at the back of the hotel - we thought street side might be a tad noisy but they...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank silvergal_12
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Silvergal,
Thank you for writing such a lovely 5-star review! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your guest room 607! This is typical of our types of rooms: functioning windows that allow fresh air, nicely appointed, and clean and spacious with the comforts of home; i.e. Complimentary Wi-Fi, mini bar/snacks, in-room safes, robes, slippers and so much more.

Thank you for acknowledging our friendly and courteous reception staff, our Chef’s fine cuisine, and our Town Car driver, Moe, for exemplary service, he will be delighted to see his name in print!

I am here to assist you with future reservations. Please feel free to call me or send me an e-mail at grizzi@thebristolsandiego.com the next time you are planning a trip to San Diego.

On behalf of the Bristol team, thank you for staying at our hotel.

Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Downey, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I don't even know where to start I really loved this place! I will do a list

Pros:
Location- 15 minute walk to Little Italy & 10 minutes to Gaslamp District
Decor- Very vibrant and Modern
Bed- SO comfortable
Shower- Looks small but its perfect and fits 2 very comfortably ;)
VERY helpful & friendly staff
a little jar of cotton balls, q tips, makeup remover. nice touch.

Cons:
I am very weird about a/c and I always need it ON lol in my room 807 it wasn't very powerful and after a shower everything just felt humid.

Valet (pricey) but has in n out privileges so that's nice but My husband forgot something in the car and the attendant looked annoyed and asked us why we said we weren't going to use our car if we were.....clearly we weren't using it nor did we plan to forget anything. (we even tipped him after he brought out our bag!)

Mini Bar convenient but pricey PLUS 20% service charge YIKES most expensive water and can of soda lol but we were too lazy to walk to 7-11 ;)

while this isn't really the hotels fault but its nice for people to know there are TONS of transients in the area...pushy and lewd (think laying on the ground scratching his privates!)

I found the best rate on the hotels website. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: 807 in the corner had a nice view of downtown and partial water view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Nicole P,
What a nice review and I was pleased to read that you will be one of our loyal, return guests. Thank You! I am so glad you enjoyed our central location within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy. I also appreciate your mention of our comfortable beds and the "extra touch" amenities we offer. I will have the air conditioning checked in room 807 to be sure it is functioning properly and I will speak with our valet company. Like every major city, there are some transients, but I assure you that the area is very safe and secure.

Nicole P, thanks again for a nice review and we look forward to your return visits.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel label itself as a boutique hotel, but it did not "feel" as a boutique hotel at all. Location is good; close to, but not in the gas lamp district (which can be noisy). But I guess some people had complained about noise - what from a distant looked like candy on the bedside table turned out to be earplugs! A first for me.

The lobby is large and unremarkable. The room I got was nice and large, and modern. The windows opened which is a big plus - but only one would close....

The room also had a "honor bar", e.g. a fridge. I don't know what was in the fridge since it was locked and I was not provided with a key at checkin.

But the real problem with this place was the bathroom. At some point, the fixture must have been replaced or repaired, and the tiles around the fixture was completely different than the rest of the shower, different size, style and color. The shower head sprayed water all around the place, except on me. The shower also, at one point, would have had dispensers for bath gel and shampoo. Luckily they did have proper soap and shampoo, but the mounting brackets for the dispensers where still attached to the wall. Ugly. And the ceiling was just raw, unpainted plywood.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear psjofors,
Thank you for your recent posting. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Bristol’s ideal location within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter for those guests who want to enjoy the nightlight and restaurants. Like every urban city, there tends to be exterior noise and we thought earplugs would be a welcoming touch for those guests who may be light sleepers.

We are also pleased you enjoyed your large and modern guest room. We were able to research several of your concerns and found that you were assigned to a room that is equipped with several standardized ADA features. We recently completed some repairs to the shower and several tiles had to be removed and then replaced. Unfortunately, some final touch-ups were not yet completed due to a scheduling problem and we are now in the process of having it re-painted and will have the desired finished appearance soon. I am sorry you were unhappy with the form of your bathroom. Upon further inspection, the bathroom ceiling that you referenced is a paneled ceiling that has a blonde color wood finish. I can see where you may have mistaken this as being unfinished because of the light color appearance. Our engineer looked at the shower apparatus and it is working fine. This is a removable, hand held showerhead wand and the brackets that you are perhaps referring to are actually the “grab bars” that one would find in a ADA equipped shower.

I apologize if you had a less than pleasant stay and I would like to make this up to you. Upon your next visit to San Diego, I would be most grateful if you would give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves. I assure you that you will have a pleasant and enjoyable stay at the Bristol Hotel and I will personally select your guestroom. My e-mail address is grizzi@thebristolsandiego.com.

In closing, thank you for your valued comments and I look forward to hearing from you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great people, terrific location,

Transportation to areas in town very close , walking distance to the gaslight area and restaurants.

Desk staff very helpful with directions and friendly greeting one when arriving back from a days adventure.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Socrates 1937,
Thank you for a great review. I was pleased to read that our friendly and professional reception agents had welcomed you back to the hotel after a day of San Diego sightseeing; I am sure you had a great time. As you mentioned, we are only 3 blocks from the Gaslamp Quarter and the other points of interest in San Diego, i.e. Petco Park, Horton Plaza for shopping, the waterfront, the Convention Center, Little Italy and the nearby music and live theater venues.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

Fairfax VA
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Loved this hotel. Great location, near Gaslamp District. Fantastic conference facility with lots of natural light and a roof that opens to allow being outdoors while still in a meeting! Friendly helpful staff. Loved the room, comfortable bed, well designed layout; loved that the windows open to let in fresh air. Reasonable price, including free wifi.

Two issues: one morning when I turned on the sink, it sent black junk everywhere (luckily I hadn't put my toothbrush under the faucet!). And one day there was no housekeeping service (and no, I didn't have a do-not-disturb sign on the door). I told the front desk about both, and they said they would check, but never heard anything further.

If it weren't for those two issues, I'd definitely give it a five star.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear JeremyinFairfax,
I was pleased to read your review and learn of your pleasant stay. We feel that our conference and banquet facilities are one of the best in San Diego; the Starlight Room has plenty of natural sunlight and a “one of a kind” retractable roof, which allows for natural air conditioning! I am so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for mentioning our comfortable beds, well designed layout and free Wifi. In addition, thank you for pointing out the difficulties that you experienced with our sink and missed housekeeping service. I have brought this to the attention of our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper and they will look into this so that we can correct whatever the problem may be.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please do not to hesitate to contact me.

Yours truly
Poulsbo, Washington, USA
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The Bristol Hotel is a great choice if you're going to San Diego. It is really close to everything! The train station is an easy 6 block walk. Seaport Village is walkable if you're hearty. The metro and buses are on the corner. Horton Plaza is 3 blocks away. There are plenty of restaurants / coffee shops nearby.

The hotel rooms are charming with 'different than average' décor. The rooms are plenty large. As a tea drinker, I appreciated that the coffee pot maker didn't produce hot water that tasted like coffee. When you check in, you get a coupon for a drink (wine or beer) from the bar for a dollar! The bartender let me take my wine up to my room.

The only thing that could be better would be b'fast included but you can't have everything! The grocery store is 3 blocks away and I walked there and bought a yogurt and fruit and grabbed a spoon from the deli.

Room Tip: The view rooms are the same price as the non view rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear dczegers,
Thank you for a very nice review! I will post your comments in our Employee Break Room so that our team can read your praises. Thank you for mentioning our great location just a short walk to all of the major attractions in downtown San Diego such as the waterfront, Petco Park, the Gaslamp Quarter, shopping and more! I was so pleased to read you enjoyed our room décor and size as well as our in-room tea! I am glad that you also were able to take advantage of our $1 drink coupon.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your return visits!

Ivins, Utah
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I gave this otherwise four star hotel a five star rating because they did everything right. We were there for three days for the opera which is about a two minute walk. The hotel is a redo of an older hotel but the rooms are very spacious. The onsite restaurant was very good and hotel guests get a 50% discount. I wish the dining room had a more welcoming feeling but again the food and service were excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tedandtre
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Tedandtre,
Thank you for the 5 star rating! We strive to give all of our guests a memorable stay and we appreciate the acknowledgement and accolades. I am so pleased you were able to take advantage of our great downtown San Diego location, just minutes from the Opera. I am also glad that you enjoyed our onsite restaurant and the 50% discount for hotel guests.

Once again, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Assuring you of my desire to be of service at all times,