“Great stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

After doing a lot of research we picked the Bristol as our hotel for our 5 night stay during Christmas week. I had booked a private room with private bath at a downtown hostel months in advance, but as December approached (which can be low season for certain cities) hotel prices started to go down, so I booked a hotel instead, also downtown. About a week later and approximately 2 weeks before our trip, I found a great rate on the Bristol’s web site which included parking, so I switched it. Parking comes at a premium downtown San Diego, which is no different than any other big city.

This hotel has an excellent location downtown San Diego and just blocks away from the Gaslamp District, where all the actions happens. I read other reviews where guests thought it was a bit too noisy, but we only heard a truck here and there, after all whenever you stay downtown at any big city in the world, it’s very hard not to hear any street noise. I had requested a room in a quiet area.
The staff was friendly, especially one particular guy at the valet parking, I wish that I could remember his name, he was extremely nice and we made sure to tip him every time!

Free wi-fi but no breakfast was included, but they have a restaurant connected to the hotel.

The room and bathroom looked exactly like the pictures they have on their web site, except that they were a bit smaller, well I know that they usually “enhance” their own pictures, but overall, it was an ok size and the beds were comfortable, we were in room #705. There was a mini-bar in the room and upon check-in we were told that we could remove the items in it (they weren’t time sensed) and use it as a mini-fridge, which was great.

I’d stay at this hotel again if the price is right (there are a lot of options downtown San Diego) and recommend it to others as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear VVegas76,
Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel for your 5-night stay during the Christmas Holiday! As you mentioned, we offer a good value, a great location and friendly employees. Thank you so much for this acknowledgement. I also hope you were able to take advantage of our free WiFi and although we do not have complimentary breakfast, many entrees are offered at 50% off for guests at our on-site restaurant.

Thank you for your comments and for staying at the Bristol Hotel, our team looks forward to your future visits.

Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Bristol for two nights and brought our dog (80 lbs). The hotel does not charge extra for dogs but we did have to sign a pet policy (waiver) which is fair. We were so happy with the hotel. It has been beautifully re-furbished. The room was clean and very eco-friendly. The staff were very nice to our dog and took the time to greet us every time we entered the hotel. Our dog is very quiet so we do like to bring him along when we can. The location of the hotel is excellent - easy walking to the GasLamp district and many good restaurants. We drive a hybrid so the parking (at half price) was not expensive especially considering what it is at surrounding hotels in the downtown area. The price for the hotel was a good value. We will definitely stay at this hotel again if in San Diego.

Green Features: We noticed the use of re-cycled plastic in the toiletries and laundry practices - excellent!
Dear kardex2dog,
Thank you for mentioning that we are a Pet Friendly Hotel and that we do not charge for pets- I am glad to hear that you and your dog had a great stay! We love pets and our friendly Reception Agents will give directions to the nearest parks and points of interest. As you mentioned, we are walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, the waterfront, the Convention Center, Horton Plaza for shopping and Petco Park- the perfect home base in San Diego for you and Fido. I also appreciate your mention of our discount parking for hybrid vehicles and am pleased you were able to take advantage of it!

Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your return visit.

Oakland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

The Bristol was entirely satisfactory for our post-Christmas holiday. Location downtown was
not in the middle of anything but easy walking distance to Gaslamp, shopping, government
buildings, Convention Center as well as trolley and buses to everywhere. Room was large,
everything worked and was clean, front desk very helpful. It's an old hotel that has been
refurbished (successfully) and appropriate for business or pleasure travelers.
They DO accept dogs, and the little yapper next door to us was the only problem with our stay.

Dear ljc3003,
I apologize for that little “yapper”! We are a Pet Friendly Hotel, and had we been aware of this, we would have certainly asked your neighbor to help quiet things down. Thank you for mentioning our excellent location! As you pointed out we are walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, the waterfront, the Convention Center, Petco Park, and much more. The Trolley and Bus nearby can also take you to these points of interest. The Bus can take you to the airport and the Trolley can take you south all the way to the Mexico border. I am so pleased you liked our well- appointed guest rooms , as well as our helpful front-desk staff.

On Behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for staying at the Bristol Hotel.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

when i arrived there i was told there was no self parking, i told them i have my things all over the car and i like to have access to my car anytime, i was told that i can park it outside if i don't want to use the valet, i asked where? he told me i don't know just out side, so i was forced to hand them the keys after i collected my things, was a little upset when i was checking in and mentioned it to the receptionist, who apologized for not having a self parking and then added "but the valet is free anyway" ..... in the guest book in the room, there was a page in the book that talked about (steps to take when self parking your car !!) interesting ! at 4 Am i woke up because the room was getting really cold (i was there Nov 24th) , i went and turned the heater on, went back to bed, just to feel there was a cold draft, tried to ignore it thinking it is going to get warmer soon, after a few min i got up stood on top of the bed and i could feel the cold air blowing from the fan above, went back to the heater/air control unite, everything was sate for heat and the termo was at 73 raised it 75 and then later to 80 and 85 (still nothing but cold air) went to the closet got a sweater and socks and found a paper slipped under my door (a bill for $26 for valet parking :-( ) tried to go back to sleep but couldn't (too cold and i was quiet awake, stayed in bed trying to get some more sleep and then had to get up at 6;30 to get ready for my work assignment, when checking out, i was upset about the extra (hidden and separate charge to park your car :-( the reception manger was very rude and didn't want to remove it and when i told them about the heater that didn't work in my room, only then she agreed to take off the parking fees (really!!) how about the room charges???? for trying to sleep in a freezer? anyway, the hotel has some remodeling done, the lobby looked nice and clean and so is the room (modern and spacious) but i won't stay there ever again in the future, if you don't mind the extra charges to park your car and wants to try this place, just make sure to check if your heater?air is working once you get into your room, so you don't have to suffer like me in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: be aware of their separate outrageous charge for Valet parking of $26 and make sure heater/air unite...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Joseph S
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Joseph S.
Thank you for your comments, they are most helpful. Most large urban hotels have Valet Parking because of the positioning of the garage, or ramps in the garage so our valet management company takes the responsibility of parking your vehicle safely. We do not advertise free parking or self-park anywhere in our collateral material or website other than specific parking packages. We do recommend that if a guest elects to self-park in the surrounding neighborhood surface lots (there is one directly across the street from the hotel), that you do remove anything of value, especially if it is visible, as you would normally do in unsecured surroundings. Our Parking charges are posted on the Garage Entrance Podium and we do charge $26 per night with complimentary in and out privileges. If you should be driving a Hybrid Vehicle, we extend a 50% discount. Our pricing is intentionally priced between $8 to $10 lower than the surrounding lots and competing hotels. Our HVAC Thermostats are state of the art and I am not aware of any failures, although, anything mechanical can malfunction over time. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and our Engineering Department will check their November service call records for the period of your stay so that we may be able to find your room number. Otherwise, we will conduct a room to room search just for good measure.

I apologize to you for the rude behavior you received and this is something completely out of character at the Bristol Hotel. Our Employees are professional, friendly and courteous and have “the guest always comes first” attitude. I will certainly speak to our reception staff and bring your comments to their attention.

If given the opportunity, I would also like to turn your negative experience into a Positive One. Please feel free to contact me for your next visit to San Diego and I will assure that you will receive excellent service, a great value, and a memorable experience.

Bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of December and it was just what we wanted! Walking distance from the Gaslamp Quarter and the harbour which was very handy. We had a really comfy, large room on the 8th floor which had a really nice view (you could just about see the harbour) and the free WiFi was also really handy! The parking was a bit expensive but you seemed to have to pay for valet most places we looked downtown.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Buncel,
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your great view and your stay! As you had mentioned, the Bristol Hotel has a very convenient location within walking distance to all the major downtown attractions- the Gaslamp District, Little Italy, the Convention Center, Petco Park, the harbor and more. Thank you for acknowledging our complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Valet Parking is available at a cost of $26 per night and we extend 50% discounts when you drive a Hybrid Vehicle. We have intentionally priced ourselves between $8 to $10 less than our competing hotels or surface parking lots to offer the best value possible for our guests.

On behalf of the Bristol Team thank you for selecting our hotel.

North Battleford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed for 3 days in downtown San Diego at the Bristol.
The room was very nice; simple but adequate room , nicely decorated.
The location of the hotel is excellent; right next to the transit store if you are using public transportation and a block from the Civic Centre trolley station. Our bus to the airport stopped right at the corner by the hotel.
Best of all was the value. This hotel was very inexpensive for the quality of hotel in the downtown area, and it included WiFi and free local calls. Parking is pricey if you have a car, but when we booked, the hotel offered a very good package with parking that added only $15/day to the price of the room.
We will definitely stay at the Bristol on our next trip here.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room - it is a direct view of downtown with a partial view of the bay. For day...
1 Thank FraserG5685
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear FraserG5685,
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review. It is greatly appreciated. As you had pointed out, the Bristol Hotel offers not only a great location, which is walking distance to the Convention Center and the Gaslamp Quarter, but we also provide a great value to our guests with affordable rates, package pricing and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel to name a few.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you again for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed here for two nights over the winter holiday. First night was booked thru the app Hotel Tonight and we loved it so much we stayed another night! They didn't keep the special price we got but they did give us a discount over their normal rate. The concierge was very accommodating and even helped me plan my tour of the city. The offer valet parking and discounts for hybrids! There is a bar/restaurant in the back of the lobby that has a good drink selection and although empty the food was great!
The bed was the most comfortable one on my trip from LA to San Diego.
It's right around the corner from the GasLamp Quarter, right across from Horton Plaza, a great walking district. The view from our room could be better, but only being on the third floor, I didn't expect much.
There is also a piano and computer in the lobby.

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 317 doesn't have a good view.
Green Features: They offer discounts to hybrids that valet park with them! Other than that I don't recall any other policies outside the norm.
Dear Tifetup,
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will be back for a return visit! I am so glad you found our staff to be courteous and helpful during your stay and that you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter and Horton Plaza.

Our restaurant, the First Avenue Bar and Grille has the best cuisine and “libations” in San Diego and we offer guests of the hotel a 50% discount off of select dinner entrée’s. Thank you for your acknowledgement. As you mentioned, we also offer a 50% discount off of our parking rates when driving a Hybrid vehicle.

Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your future visits. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!