“The Bristol Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“The Bristol Hotel”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel, the staff was very friendly and helpful. It is located near a tram stop and near the old town trolley stop too. This made it easy to get around, we only rented a car for two days to drive out to La Jolla. We did stay our first night in a room facing the main street. It was loud even with earplugs (which they provide) We asked to be moved to the opposite side of the hall and they had no problems with that and it was much quieter for sleeping. Other than that it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Laura R,
Thank you for a great review! As you had mentioned the Bristol is situated in a great location. We are walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and the trolley stop is around the corner, which will take you to many of the top attractions in San Diego. I am so glad you were able to take advantage of this! Our rooms facing west, have great views of the city’s beautiful skyline and waterfront with its tall ships and like every major, urban city you will hear from time to time the sounds of a typical bustling city. As noted, rooms on the opposite side facing east, tend to be quieter. I was also pleased to read you were able to visit La Jolla, just a short drive away.

On behalf of the Bristol team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your return visits.

Happy New Year!

Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked this hotel for a short trip to San Diego between Christmas 2013 and New Year. We stayed 2 nights with four adults in a room with two double beds. (Our adult daughters came with us.) The staff was very accommodating and helped us store our luggage when we arrived early. The lobby area is comfortable, with a grand piano and lots of seating.

Although we would have preferred Queen beds, the size of the rooms would not have accommodated them, but the double beds were comfortable and the room was nicely appointed. Rather than the mini bar in the room, we would have preferred just a refrigerator, especialy since there is a nice bar downstairs. We ate breakfast and one dinner in the First Street Grille and completely enjoyed the service and food.

The location is the best since it is a block from Horton Plaza, three blocks from the Santa Fe Amtrak station, two blocks from the light rail and about 5 blocks from the pier and Seaport Village and on the edge of the Gaslamp district.

Room Tip: The rooms are a little smaller than a modern chain hotel, so if you are traveling with adult family...
Green Features: This hotel offered environmentally friendly double-flush toilets and toiletries that were green friendly.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Bounderad,
Thank you so much for your great review- you have made my day! We strive to provide excellent service, good value, comfortable accommodations and a great location that is convenient to all the sights and sounds of downtown San Diego. When we receive comments such as yours, it really means a lot to our staff as it confirms our efforts. I will be sure to share your words.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you and we hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

This was a surprise stay for my birthday, so I can't comment on price in relation to quality/service, but overall I enjoyed my stay. The room was clean and comfortable. We were told it was a "city view" room. I guess by definition it was, but more accurately it was just a bunch of big buildings. However, in the morning we noticed that we could see the ocean through those buildings so that was neat. We liked how close it was to the Gaslamp District and that made for a nice pre and post dinner walk. We had drinks in the bar prior to dinner and had great service. The only negative I can comment on is the exposed PVC and water lines under the bathroom vanity. A bit unsightly, but if that's the worst thing, that's not bad at all. Great location, friendly staff, clean/comfortable room. Thank you.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Janis Travels,
First of all, the Bristol team would like to wish you a very Happy Birthday! I was extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel and your visit to San Diego. I am glad you enjoyed our convenient location, walking distance to the Gaslamp, your clean and comfortable room with a great view, as well as drinks at our on-site bar!

Thank you for mentioning the exposed PVC piping beneath the sink vanity. I will meet with our Building Engineer and determine how we can improve upon the appearance.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to have you back soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Before booking this hotel I contacted the staff regarding their online packages- the zoo and the parking package. I wanted both but was told that I couldn't have both and it was suggested I book the parking package because the front desk sells zoo tickets for $40/each/adult. After booking the parking package online, I emailed the same person regarding how I could hold or order the zoo tickets in advance (before we arrived because the lady had told me in a previous email that they sell out of the zoo tickets), but the person never responded. So, I had my husband call the hotel in order to confirm our reservation (as I never received a confirmation email or phone call) and to ask about the zoo tickets. We were told we could buy them at the front desk when we arrived, and that it will not be a problem.
The staff was friendly and nice when we arrived. The decor was updated and modern. The bathroom was clean for the most part, except for toilet seat. I placed toilet paper on the seat every time I used it because it didn't seem like they cleaned it before we arrived. The floor mat was covered in wood dust from the ceiling above. We had a wonderful view of the wall of the building next door. We could barely see the street from our window. There's a trolley next to the hotel. So, I heard it in the morning and it woke me up. However, I am a light sleeper and it did not bother my husband. We were suppose to have a King bed with handicap accessibility and we did not. We did not even have a king sized bed. The bed was very springy and I woke up every time my husband turned over.
The hotel bar is terrible. The bartender didn't know the house wine from other wines and had to repeatedly ask her manager which one was which. My husband asked for a double red bull and grey goose and it barely had any liquor in it. In the end, we only stayed for one drink here before our reservations at the Melting Pot and she still charged us for non house wine.
But you can't beat the price and location of this hotel. It's only a block or two from the Gaslamp district, which is full of restaurants, bars, shopping, and nightlife. A little further down is the bay/harbor where Petco and the convention center.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveler_0413
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Traveler,
My sincerest apologies for the shortcomings that you experienced during your most recent visit. I assure you that these encounters were the exception and not our rule. We are currently looking into your complaint and our objective is to safeguard against a future occurrence and correct these problems immediately.

Once reviewed, I will discuss all aspects of your stay with our Reservation and Front Office Management team concerning the issues with your confirmation, zoo tickets and online packages. I will also speak with our Executive Housekeeper concerning the bathroom cleanliness and mattress firmness, as well as our Food and Beverage Manager about the issues with the bartender. Needless to say, I am deeply embarrassed by your review; we are not known for this type of service or hospitality.

I would appreciate either a phone call or an e-mail response from you so that I may verbally extend to you my heartfelt apologies and I would like the opportunity to give you the hospitality that we are known for so that we may improve your impression of our hotel.

On behalf of the Bristol Management Team, have a Happy New Year.

Augusta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I had a one night stay on Christmas eve in San Diego and stayed at the Bristol Hotel for the first time. I was very pleased with the staff, the locale, and the room itself. It was reasonably priced for San Diego but had lots of elements normally found in much more expensive hotels. The location was fantastic since it was within walking distance to a great mall, lots of excellent restaurants and the harbor. Since it was X-mas eve, upon check-in, I was provided a detailed list of restaurants that would be serving dinner on the eve and Christmas day itself. It also listed their favorite restaurants that were serving and I ate at two of them and they were excellent recommendations. When I return to San Diego, I will stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: I stayed on the sixth floor which seemed to have fewer people and thus less noise.
Green Features: The hotel had many environmental friendly measures.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Heatherly D,
I was pleased to read that you selected the Bristol Hotel for your Christmas Eve visit and that you enjoyed your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed the location of our hotel in downtown San Diego near the harbor as well as your room and our friendly staff. I am also happy to read that you were able to take advantage of the list of restaurants we provided!

On behalf of our Bristol team, have a wonderful New Year and we can’t wait to see you again soon!

The Bristol Hotel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Recommended by a friend.....lovely place, located near what your looking for...dinner, entertainment, shopping, people watching, public transportation and a grocery store. Short walk to all. The rate was outstanding.

The rooms have glassware(no plastic/paper cups). Clean, bed comfortable, small refrigerator, moderately priced in room snacks. They offer a great Happy Hour, we had delicious food from the restaurant....staff attentive, very courteous and helpful.

My new Hotel in San Diego!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear wattscoffeehouse,
I was extremely pleased to read that you were happy with your friends’ recommendation to stay at the Bristol Hotel! Our staff is extremely attentive and friendly and they will attend to your every need, thank you for the acknowledgement! Thank you for mentioning our great location, clean and comfortable rooms and wonderful happy hour and food at our in-house restaurant, FIRST avenue bar & grille.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and have a wonderful New Year!!

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are small but very nice. Within walking distance of the gas lamp district. Lots of places to eat and explore. Close to seaport village and the USS Midway if you like exploring older Navy ships. I would definately stay there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Nancy G,
Thank you for a great review. My staff and I were pleased to read that you loved our hotel and our terrific location. As you pointed out, we are walking distance to the amazing ships and waterfront, as well as the Gaslamp Quarter.

We hope to have you stay with us again soon!