“Nice and stylish”

The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #64 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 18, 2008

This hotel was a pleseant surprise. Rooms were stylish and spacious and the staff was nice and helpful. Close to shopping and dining facilities downtown. Recommended!

Stayed: July 2008
BristolGM, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2008

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 17, 2008

I've stayed at a lot of hotels before and there are 2 things that are really important to me: cleanliness and service. Hotel Bristol was really great in both!

Let me start off saying that I really appreciated how they catered to my note attached to the reservation. They upgraded my room to accommodate for free! Considering that there are a lot of hotels in downtown, the price was great - especially for a weekend. (orbitz)

Their bathroom products were actually really nice, plenty of towels, the bed was super white and clean as well. The pillows were heavenly, and I loved the fact that they had an IPOD dock that you can use with your IPOD to listen to music in the room.

The only thing that threw me off a little was the bathroom door. Instead of an actual door that closes, it slides like a closet. If you're a couple or sharing this room with someone, it might be a little awkward when trying to get some privacy. =)

Overall, I had no complaints about this place at all. I'll most definitely be going back to this place again!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank jumpin_rice

I appreciate you spending a few moments and writing the wonderful review of my property.

Reviewed July 2, 2008

Spent a recent on night stay on a business related trip; my high end chain was oversold and couldn't accommodate an extension to my stay. I contacted the front desk at The Bristol directly, and booked for that night. The brief encounters with the staff (check-in and out) were pleasant enough and staff seemed eager to be helpful.

Room was reasonably sized with a nod toward trendy decor, no problems with the wireless internet, and comfortable bed/linens. Not much of a view, but my stay was brief. All things considered, it exceeded my expectations considering the other more expensive options that were available at that time. Would recommend, and re-book again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank schulace
BristolGM, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2008

I'm glad we were able to accomodate you when other hotels were sold out. I also appreciate you spending the time to leave a review of the property. Thanks.

Reviewed June 21, 2008

I was in town for BIO 2008 and booked the Bristol When I got in at app. 8PM the cab left me at the curb and the employes in the lobby stared at me. I walked up to the door and stuck my head in and the girl at counter said hi- but the two guys just stared. I could not believe it. Then I fumbled in with my luggage (no small feat) and went to check in. I clarified that I needed a room with a desk and was told all have rooms have them. Then I asked if it was safe to walk around and where could I find a convenience store. I was told how to go to Ralph's and then told it was safe as long as I didn't go right when I left the lobby. Hmmmm. I got to room and there was a small round top table with no chair by window and two beds. Called down and they said ok we will move you to the king you requested. Went to that room and it was again a table with no chair. I was exhausted-went to Ralph's and fell asleep. When I woke up I saw I was across the street from GREYHOUND bus station. Aha- perhaps that is why I was told not to go right when exiting. The room was almost cool to look at it until you looked close and noticed where things were not painted or finished. I was not happy overall and did not want a hassle. I had already moved a heavy arm chair and floor lamp (both were in an odd little alcove by themselves) to table to make it almost a workspace -not to mention 50+ lbs of luggage (still cannot figure out why those two young men were sitting around looking so bored and not helping anyone) and decided it was just time to leave. I made some quick calls and found a room at Hampton Inn by the harbor. Checked out and zipped over there. Glad I did. I love botique hotels but they have to be well run and service has to be great to make it work-the Bristol is neither of those things (I will say the young man who checked me out was pleasant)Too bad.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank ARKSugarLand
BristolGM, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2008

I personally apologize to your treatment during your arrival at our hotel. You highlight two areas that I have been working with the staff and managers since my arrival last week. When checking into a hotel you should be treated the same as had you just walked into one of the staff's personal homes. I thank you for taking your time and submitting the review and please don't hesitate to call me should I be off further assistance.

Reviewed June 9, 2008

From the very beginning I should have known it was going to be a disaster. My friend and I were greeted by an "I'm sorry" from the man behind the front desk as we struggled to get the door open with all of our luggage. Then we were given someone else's room. That's right we lugged all our bags up to the 3rd floor and walked right into someone else's room. When I went back downstairs to get another room it took 10 minutes and another man behind the front desk got rude with me when I asked to speak with a manager. I was told there was no manager working that night...which I thought strange since Lincoln High School was having their prom their that night. I thought things could not get worse but the next morning the whole hotel was without hot water. All they could do was knock $50 off my bill. I was insulted and have never been treated so poorly in my life. I will never stay here again and I am telling all of my clients who visit San Diego often to stay away from your hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank t8nkgirl
glansande, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2008

On Sunday, June 8th, we experienced a problem with the hotel’s water heating system. The system was down for several hours, but was then brought back on line after the repairs were completed that same day. This resulted in some guests having experienced a loss of hot water in their guest rooms. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused, and are confident that the problem with the water heating system has been resolved.

Reviewed May 6, 2008

We went to the Bristol for a ladies' weekend in San Diego. The Bristol is centrally located in dowtown. We walked or took the Trolley everywhere. The rooms were nicely appointed. Our shower was not working well, and was repaired immediately. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Free internet access in the lobby was a plus. Main drawbacks were the steep on-site parking fee ($22/night) and limited on-site amenities (pool, hosted lounge, small gym). We stayed on the back side of the hotel, so there wasn't any view but noise was kept to a minimum.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank SoCalYayaMama

I appreciate you taking your time to leave a review of our hotel. Thank You!

Reviewed April 21, 2008

I booked Bristol through hotels.com, prepaid and received booking confirmation. On the day of arrival I called to tell that i would be arriving late and was told that they don’t see my reservation. I asked whether any rooms at all were available but front desk Amanda did not want to check before we arrive there - ignoring the fact that we need to drive 2 hours to get there. Three calls and 10 minutes of holding later, she agreed to check availability and informed me that after all guests check in (it was around 12 am by then) there would be no rooms available. After a lot of effort, we were able to get in touch with hotels.com support (in India) and after a hard copy reservation was faxed over to Bristol hotel, they agreed to accommodate us. After all, the rooms were in fact available. I left a message for the manager but he/she never got back to me. Hotel not honoring your prepaid reservation and making no effort to research it I consider to be a a major flaw.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ana77

I apologize for the treatment by the staff. THis should have never have happened. They have been retrained to indeed look up any reservation not in their computer system as well as check daily arrivals by all internet sites to ensure that no one has to go through the above situation. If there is anything that I can personally do, please don't hesitate to contact me.