“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ashburton, New Zealand
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel. Very central, and the staff were very helpful. Our one meal there was superb, and the bed was very comfy. Couldn't ask for better, and the price was excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon56
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Simon56,
I was extremely pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay at the Bristol Hotel. Not only are our prices very affordable, but we are also centrally located and within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, the Convention Center, Petco Park, the waterfront, Seaport village, Horton Plaza and more- thank you for acknowledging this. I am glad you had the chance to try our on-site restaurant, First Avenue Bar and Grille, which offers delicious cuisine at reasonable prices and several of our entrees are discounted at 50% for guests of the hotel.

I was also pleased to read that you commented on our comfortable bedding, which is very important. We just recently upgraded our mattresses and have been receiving many favorable comments.

Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in July 2013. Great rooms, clean, free wifi, business centre with free printing, great value for money. There is only valet parking available, Close to the gas lamp quarter, Was a great location!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loren77
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Loren77,
Thank you for the great review! I appreciate your acknowledgement of our clean rooms, free wifi and printing, and value! We offer 50% off select dinner entrees at our onsite restaurant as well as parking discounts for hybrid vehicles- all on top of great rates! I am also glad that you liked our location, close to the Gaslamp District, Horton plaza and much more!

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again at the Bristol Hotel soon.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here because I had to testify in the San Diego Superior Court in a felony case. They put us up here for three nights and paid for our food in the hotel restaurant.

Service: Not terrible. Nothing to rave about, but nothing to complain about either.

Value: You're paying between $120-160 a night for a room with no minifridge, no swimming pool, and no continental breakfast.

Sleep Quality: Beds were good. Nice and firm. The sheets didn't smell very clean though. Sleep quality was okay but not amazing.

Cleanliness: sheets could have been cleaner, and the room smelled weird. otherwise decent.

Location: Amazing. This is the ONLY major reason to book this hotel. Tons of restaurants, stuff to do, and the train station are within a block of the hotel.

Rooms: Smelled weird, weird toilet setup, unclean sheets. Also a lot of train/subway noise at night as it's right outside the hotel.

Swimming Pool: NONE.

Internet: Darn good. Over 1 mbps down/0.9 up. Really fast.

Kids Activities: I actually advise AGAINST bringing families here. It's right off the Gaslamp, but also a block and a half from the most dangerous/most seedy street in downtown San Diego. Also, there's no pool, and nothing for kids to do. They might not sleep well due to the train noise as well. If you DO have your kids stay here, keep an eye on them, give them something to browse the internet with or watch tv so they don't get bored, and give them a pair of earplugs (hotel supplies them) at night so they can sleep well and you won't have a terribly misbehaved kid the next day.

Room Tip: They're all basically the same, but rooms on the west side have good views of Downtown and the b...
Green Features: They're okay, but I'd like my sheets and room to smell cleaner and better, thank you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bwdmighall
Dear bwdmighall,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to read that your stay was not to your standards. Please allow me to respond and perhaps my explanations will remove a few of your concerns.

You mentioned value, and our standard room rates on our website are well priced compared to other hotels in the area. In addition, we offer complimentary wifi, 50% discounts on our valet parking when you drive a Hybrid vehicle and 50% off select dinner entrées at our on-site restaurant. I also want to assure you that our housekeeping and maintenance practices are of the highest level of cleaning practices and we only use eco-friendly cleaning products.

In being a downtown urban hotel, there are the occasional city sounds, but as you mentioned, we are in a wonderful central location, perfect for both leisure and business. We are walking distance to the Gaslamp District, Convention Center, Seaport Village, the waterfront, Petco Park, as well as being just a short drive or trolley ride to kid friendly activities such as the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld. The area is very safe and well-lit, perfect for families and solo travelers.

I truly, hope that when you visit San Diego in the future that you consider the Bristol Hotel and give us the opportunity to provide you with a more enjoyable visit. Please feel free to contact me and I will personally handle your reservation requests.

Assuring you of my desire to be of service at all times.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had a family emergency in San Diego this past April 2013. I stayed at the Bristol Hotel and was very pleasantly surprised. The room was lovely and had all the amenities needed....internet, coffee maker, mini fridge and very comfortable King size bed and pillows. The rate was excellent in comparison to larger hotels in the area. I ended up having to stay 5 weeks! The Manager and staff were very accommodating and happy to help with whatever I needed. They made me feel very at home. Its a great location in proximity and within walking distance to The Gas-lamp Quarter, the Mall, Seaport Village and even Little Italy. I would highly recommend this beautiful little Boutique Hotel if you're visiting San Diego and would like to stay downtown.
Josie (Toronto, ON)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josie D
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Josie,
Thank you for a wonderful review. Our management and staff are trained to treat guests with the utmost respect and to provide caring, friendly and courteous service, as if they were dealing with their own family members. I was extremely pleased to read your comments that validate our efforts, thank you. I am so glad you enjoyed our central downtown San Diego location, complementary amenities such as wifi, and our comfortable and spacious accommodations.

Josie, on behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for residing with us and we send you best wishes and fond thoughts.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We decided to stay in the Gaslight Quarter and the Bristol is located within a 5 minute walk. the hotel is not over-expensive for such an excellent location. The rooms are comfortable, there is a small but friendly cocktail bar, with a happy hour, and it is simply a good base to explore the very lively Gaslight area with its many restaurants and bar. San Diego has a great vibe with lots to do and see and the Bristol, with its off-street parking, and close proximity to the centre, is to be recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Nistock,
Thank you for an exceptional review! It was great to read that you not only enjoyed our wonderful city, but that you also enjoyed your stay at the Bristol Hotel! I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location, just minutes from the Gaslamp, as well as our on-site bar and comfortable rooms.

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 nights. Room was nice but opposite the lift / elevator and a pump room. First two nights a band tour bus was parked directly below us with its engine running all night. That left and an hour later the water company arrived to dig up the road to relay pipes. We had to leave early just to escape the noise. Certainly took the shine of what should have been a great stay. My advice ask for a room at the rear.

1 Thank RML0703
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear RML0703,
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the bus noise and had we been aware of this in advance we would have placed a stop to this immediately or assigned you to a different room. The city also experienced emergency pipe repairs, which was beyond our control and they showed up unexpectedly on Monday morning. Once I was made aware of the circumstances, I spoke to city officials and the work crews adjusted their schedule.

Thank you for your understanding to the above and I assure you that these instances were the exception and not our rule. The Bristol Hotel is a boutique hotel located in the urban, downtown area of San Diego and we strive to provide our guests with exceptional service.

In the future, please allow me to make your reservation, I will ensure you a very quiet room and a memorable stay.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting our Hotel.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel was relatively expensive for what you get. We stayed two nights and ended up paying $100 for the valet parking! we deeply regretted opting for valet because there was a parking lot just across the street. Breakfast was delicious and reasonably priced (hence not included in the room). We also used the gym, which was just a small room with a single cable machine and some cardio equipment, nothing impressive. The wireless internet was a joke, by far the worst I've ever experienced. Most of the time it was impossible to get online, and if it finally connected it only lasted a few moments (seconds). The location of the hotel is great, though, for visiting USS Midway or the Gaslamp quarter.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Martin P
Dear Martin P,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I have read your comments and I would like to provide some clarification. Our Valet Parking rate is $26 per night with complimentary in and out accessibility and we are priced $5 to $10 less than most surface parking lots and competing hotels in a downtown, urban city. Also, we extend a 50% discount on parking to guests that drive Hybrid Vehicles. Please review your bill and if there is an error we will correct this immediately. Please let me know.

The Bristol Hotel strives to provide value to all of our guests! After reading your posting about the issues you experienced with our WifI, I immediately contacted our “tech person” to check the signal strength in the hotel and we did find an inoperable wireless access point, which was perhaps the culprit for a weak signal on your guestroom floor. Our signal strength is now operating perfectly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I will pass along your comment to our Chef, he will be pleased to learn that you enjoyed your breakfast!