“"Helpful and courteous staff"”

The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #62 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the Bristol Hotel from Aug 15-Aug 23, 2012. Our main reason for visiting San Diego (our first time) was to spend some time with a mutual friend and do lots of sightseeing.

We arrived to our hotel a few hours earlier than expected. We were greeted at the front desk by Muhammad (hope I spelled his name correctly) who was very friendly. We were hoping that we could check in early and to our luck, our room was ready.

When we went to our room, we did a complete inspection. The room was spacious enough for both of us. We had two queen sized beds, which were very comfortable. The bathroom was big enough and had many amenities. There is plenty of closet space and in it you will find an iron w/ the ironing board. The hotel does provide bathrobes which is a nice touch.

The room has a flat screen TV which is nice. There is a coffee maker with caffeinated/decaffeinated coffee, tea and the necessary condiments, free of charge. There is a mini bar under the television furniture w/ liquor, sodas, water and goodies but they are expensive. There is a CVS within a couple of blocks by the Horton Plaza Mall and one can buy goodies there at a much cheaper price.

After we got settled, we noticed that the room was very hot. We called the front desk and someone from maintenance came immediately. The employee assured us that since the room had not been in use for over a day, it does take awhile for the cold air to kick in. We thought that explanation was valid and decided to give it a day.

San Diego is known for having mild weather all year round. We live in Miami, Fl and apparently the heat from back home followed us to San Diego. They had a heat wave that week and the temperature was in the high 80's to low 90's.

On day #2, we went out and did not come back until the evening. Again, the room was very hot and once more, we had to call the front desk. Another maintenance employee came and fidgeted with the thermostat and assured us the problem was fixed.

On day #3, we went out and came back around 3pm. As soon as we opened the door of our room, we thought we were in a sauna. The person who made up our room that morning had the brilliant idea of turning off the air conditioner (mind you, it was 90 F in Downtown, San Diego) and leaving the curtains completely opened so that the bright sun can come in our room.

This incident upset me in such a way that I had to go downstairs and ask for a manager on duty. I was greeted by Cherice & Mike who told me that there was no manager on duty after 3pm. I told them that this was absurd because somebody had to deal with the problems that occur after 3pm. I explained to Cherice everything that we had been through and how frustrated and upset we were. She was very apologetic and even tried to see if she can gives us a discount but since we booked our hotel stay thru Expedia, she was not able to. She was able to give us free breakfast for the both of us, for the rest of our stay. Not only that, Cherice offered to change our rooms and to have one of the staff take our belongings once we were ready.

The reason I gave this hotel a 4 was because of the problem with the a/c, other than that, it would have been a 5. The hotel in our opinion is very nice. It’s on a great location. The nearest trolley station is about two blocks away.

It is about two blocks away from Downtown. It is 4-5 blocks away from the Horton Plaza Mall which has shops, places to eat, CVS pharmacy and a movie theater. It is near the GasLamp District, SeaVillage and the Embarcadero.

Overall, we were very grateful for the service provided by the staff in this hotel. Everybody was very nice and helpful. Eventhough we had the incident with the a/c, I would still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear cmtorre2,

Thank you for your posting informing us of your August 2012 visit. I apologize about the cooling of your accommodations and the difficulties you experienced with our air conditioning. After your stay, I had the Hotel Engineer check on all of our guestroom a/c units to be sure that they were working properly and to perform all of the necessary preventive maintenance so that this would not occur again in the future.

I am happy to read that you had an overall great stay with us and I will pass along your accolades to Ahmad, Cherice and Mike and thank you for your recognition.

Hopefully this summer, you will return once again and visit our fine city!

The Bristol San Diego

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel was a great find. We stayed 4 nights and never had a single problem. The check in service was excellent, as was the maid service. The airline lost my luggage but the staff at the Bristol helped by offering early check in and recommendations on where I could find a cold beverage to easy my pain. The room was perfectly clean, the bed were comfortable and the views were excellent. If you are going to San Diego, this is the place to stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We needed to stay one night in San Diego to visit family and ended up staying at the Bristol which was perfect in every way. We're so warmly welcomed and were given a upgrade which made our day! The room was immaculate, comfortable beds, and spacious. It's a perfect location, close to the GasLamp District, restaurants, Westfield and the sea. What more do you want! We will come back!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel was a great find in a central part of San Diego. Walking distance to all the restaurants in the GasLamp district.
We also loved that our dog was welcome. As we were on a big road trip we also appreciated that they had secure underground parking.
The decor in the room was modern.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear MindiP1001,

We are so glad that you had a wonderful time! The Bristol Hotel is Dog Friendly and I hope your “pal” had a good stay exploring the sights and sounds of San Diego. For those that bring pets, the water front is a great area to walk. Not only is it very scenic but there are parks and areas where “Fido” can run, run run.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting our hotel.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Very nice hotel in a central area close to everything. Wonderful staff. Some guest left a barking dog in the room but the staff was concerned about our complaint and went out of their way to resolve it. I was here for a seminar at another hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Glzum,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Guest accolades or complaints are an extremely valuable customer relations tool, as it is a measurement of guest satisfaction and I was delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay.

Yes, at times, our guests do bark, and in this case we were thankful that it was only “Fido”! Our reception desk staff were quick to respond to your concern, found the room number and gave our four legged friend a bone which was successful in quieting him down. We are a Pet Friendly hotel and from time to time these are the “Trials and Tribulations” that occur but are quickly taken care of. Thank you for your patience.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I've never left a bad review before, but we stayed at the Bristol hotel on Saturday night last weekend. We did book last minute which meant that we got down grated to 2 double beds, and a only kinda a clean bathroom. No of those things are why I'm leaving this review. It was the staffs attitude that bothered me the most, I paid over $200 a to stay here for the night I expect to not be treated as though I'm bothering the front desk when I check in/ out.

Oh and just as bonus in the morning when I turned on the sink a bunch of black muck came out all over my tooth brush, and again when I called the front desk they sounded annoyed.

1  Thank Heather M
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Heather M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very surprised by your comments and I hope you read this response and will contact me so that I may personally speak with you and obtain additional details of your stay and room number. I have also just met with my Chief Engineer who was on duty on Sunday when you experienced a water problem and this is something that we were not aware of nor have had any issues with before and we are looking into it now. We strive to always have a friendly staff, spotless accommodations, and prices that are very reasonable when compared to our competing hotels.

On behalf of our Bristol Team, we apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. I can personally assure you that this was the exception and not our rule.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

First time staying at The Bristol Hotel in downtown San Diego because it's pet-friendly. Wasn't sure what to expect, but reviews I read were very good, so I was hopeful. Finding the hotel was easy and parking was valet only. Because I had a hybrid vehicle, the price was 1/2 price...nice! Check-in at the front desk was easy and staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was nice, and quiet away from the elevator and ice machine. The bed was very comfortable, and my dogs enjoyed their stay. Even though the bathroom door was a slide pocket door, it was heavy and worked just as well as a regular door. The room and bathroom were clean. I even tried out their fitness room and the equipment was in good working condition. The location of this hotel is ideal for walking, eating downtown, and sightseeing at the the mall. It's also close to Seaport Village, about 2/3 of a mile one way. I will definitely be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family