“Dog Friendly find in Downtown San Diego”

The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #63 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel was a great find in a central part of San Diego. Walking distance to all the restaurants in the GasLamp district.
We also loved that our dog was welcome. As we were on a big road trip we also appreciated that they had secure underground parking.
The decor in the room was modern.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear MindiP1001,

We are so glad that you had a wonderful time! The Bristol Hotel is Dog Friendly and I hope your “pal” had a good stay exploring the sights and sounds of San Diego. For those that bring pets, the water front is a great area to walk. Not only is it very scenic but there are parks and areas where “Fido” can run, run run.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting our hotel.

The Bristol San Diego

Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Very nice hotel in a central area close to everything. Wonderful staff. Some guest left a barking dog in the room but the staff was concerned about our complaint and went out of their way to resolve it. I was here for a seminar at another hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Glzum,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Guest accolades or complaints are an extremely valuable customer relations tool, as it is a measurement of guest satisfaction and I was delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay.

Yes, at times, our guests do bark, and in this case we were thankful that it was only “Fido”! Our reception desk staff were quick to respond to your concern, found the room number and gave our four legged friend a bone which was successful in quieting him down. We are a Pet Friendly hotel and from time to time these are the “Trials and Tribulations” that occur but are quickly taken care of. Thank you for your patience.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I've never left a bad review before, but we stayed at the Bristol hotel on Saturday night last weekend. We did book last minute which meant that we got down grated to 2 double beds, and a only kinda a clean bathroom. No of those things are why I'm leaving this review. It was the staffs attitude that bothered me the most, I paid over $200 a to stay here for the night I expect to not be treated as though I'm bothering the front desk when I check in/ out.

Oh and just as bonus in the morning when I turned on the sink a bunch of black muck came out all over my tooth brush, and again when I called the front desk they sounded annoyed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather M
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Heather M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very surprised by your comments and I hope you read this response and will contact me so that I may personally speak with you and obtain additional details of your stay and room number. I have also just met with my Chief Engineer who was on duty on Sunday when you experienced a water problem and this is something that we were not aware of nor have had any issues with before and we are looking into it now. We strive to always have a friendly staff, spotless accommodations, and prices that are very reasonable when compared to our competing hotels.

On behalf of our Bristol Team, we apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. I can personally assure you that this was the exception and not our rule.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

First time staying at The Bristol Hotel in downtown San Diego because it's pet-friendly. Wasn't sure what to expect, but reviews I read were very good, so I was hopeful. Finding the hotel was easy and parking was valet only. Because I had a hybrid vehicle, the price was 1/2 price...nice! Check-in at the front desk was easy and staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was nice, and quiet away from the elevator and ice machine. The bed was very comfortable, and my dogs enjoyed their stay. Even though the bathroom door was a slide pocket door, it was heavy and worked just as well as a regular door. The room and bathroom were clean. I even tried out their fitness room and the equipment was in good working condition. The location of this hotel is ideal for walking, eating downtown, and sightseeing at the the mall. It's also close to Seaport Village, about 2/3 of a mile one way. I will definitely be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OwnerBR
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Bristol Hotel between business meetings. I booked an upgraded "Deluxe King" room wanting extra space knowing I would be spending a lot of time in the room working. The room was clean but not all that spacious in my opinion. Making up for it was that the hotel staff is increadibly friendly and helpful.

The room was unfortunately not very conducive for working. There were not adequete plugs at the desk and the room telephone was on the opposite side of the room so you had to sit on the bed to use the telephone.

I would definately recommend for tourists, not so much for business travel if you need to work in the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear TRVLALOT_9,

Thank you for your comments concerning our staff! They are indeed very friendly and informative about the sights and sounds for San Diego.

One of our largest guest segments besides leisure is Business Travel and we try to meet all of this market’s needs. Besides providing free Wi-Fi and a lobby business center, in our guest rooms we have an abundance of electrical outlets that were specially provided for our guests. For example, behind the base of each guest lamp we have electrical outlets for phone charging and miscellaneous travel gadgets. An adhesive tag is placed on the lamp to let our guests know that lamps have additional outlets. Also by each desk, we have also installed an electrical outlet hub with an informational name plate, instructing guests where it is located. Phones are positioned either on the desk itself or in some cases both the bedside night stand and desk. Hopefully, you will read this review and let me know your previous room number, in the meantime, I will have my housekeeper inspect guestrooms for missing tag instructions or for a missing phone in rooms where there are two.

When travelling to San Diego in the future, please feel free to contact me and I will personally pre-assign one of our spacious accommodations, I know you will be pleased.

Thank you for staying at the Bristol Hotel.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed on business Monday through Thursday night. I got a King Deluxe room and it was clean, cute, roomy, and comfortable. The linens and towels had a luxury feel to them, and the bed was very comfortable. I had to use the earplugs because of street noise, but I expected that. (I am from a very small town with no noise at night, so I am not used to city noise.)

The staff was excellent and the server in the dining room was an excellent host. I ate dinner at the hotel 3 nights and the food was unique and amazing. It is the first time that i have felt like a server successfully helped me to select drinks, dishes and dessert. I was there on Valentine's Day and my husband had flowers delivered. A very sheepish looking maintenance man dropped them off; it was adorable.

I could go on and on about how much I liked this hotel but instead I will say "ditto" to all of the other 5 dot reviews.

Room Tip: 417 has decent view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear SmallTownMom,

A great review! Thank you very much.

I am so glad that you had a pleasant stay and my Executive Housekeeper will be delighted to learn that you enjoyed the comforts of your accommodation. Our restaurant, the First Avenue Bar and Grill offers great selection of entrées and libations and I will pass along your comments to our Food and Beverage team. They will be delighted to learn of a great dining and service experience.

SmallTownMom, on behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Greg Rizzi
Bristol Hotel

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was in San Diego for a two day meeting stayed at the Bristol for just one night. I really loved everything about the hotel and wished I was staying longer. Great location, loved the decor, charming atmospher and the bed was really comfortable. What really sold it for me was the customer service. The staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. I would choose this hotel over any of the big chain hotels, I really felt like I as a "guest".

Dear Linda,
Thank you for your valued comments! We are so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. Besides having a great location, comfortable and nicely appointed guest rooms, our employees are super friendly and helpful. It is rewarding to receive great comments about our customer service and we greatly appreciate acknowledgement from our guests. I will pass along your comments to our Reception Desk staff during our staff meeting.

I am glad that you felt like a “guest” and we hope that you will a returning guest!!!

Linda, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and if ever I can be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me. You made my day!

Greg Rizzi