“Clean, friendly and in a great part of town”
Review of The Bristol Hotel

The Bristol Hotel
Ranked #67 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Clean, friendly and in a great part of town”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Arriving at Bristol was a breeze from the highway. Valet parking is the only hotel option at $26 a day (Feb 2013) and isn’t cheap, but they justify this by saying it is the cheapest in the area and offer in and out access. You can park your car across the street if you really wanted to at the public parking, but I really didn’t care to risk it with a rental car. Check in was super friendly and offered us a lot of info about the area. The room was extremely clean, but didn’t provide much of a view (room 701). We didn’t come to San Diego for a view, so this didn’t bother us. The sink was a little slow to drain and made a quick call down to the front desk, the maintenance guy was up there within minutes to help us out. The beds have pillow top mattress covers on them and were way too soft for me and actually hurt my back after the 3rd night. I prefer a firm mattress, which is uncommon in fancy hotels. The main cross town trolley is right behind the hotel and there are buses up to the park a few blocks away if you didn’t want to walk. The Hotel is in the Gaslamp area and is near shopping, amazing food and the ferry to Coronado Island. We found everything we needed including Ralf’s grocery stores and a 7-11. You MUST hit up Grab and Go Sub across the street, this place is a gem for breakfast or lunch.

Room Tip: 701 was away from the elevators and overlooks the build next door
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Kevin,

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. This year, we plan to upgrade our guestrooms with new furnishings and mattresses and I’m sure that they will be to your liking. Our housekeeping staff is excellent -every housekeeper performs their tasks with pride and the rooms are spotless.

We provide Valet Parking at a very competitive, 24 hour fee that includes complimentary in and out privileges. Our pricing is intentionally priced $8 to $10 less than what our competitors charge. As you had mentioned, we are near all forms of public transportation that can take you to all areas of San Diego. We are within walking distance to the Gaslamp District, Little Italy, Petco Park, the Convention Center, Horton Plaza for shopping and much more.

Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your return visits.

The Bristol San Diego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I'm currently staying at The Bristol right now. I made a request for a refrigerator when I booked my room via email because my wife is nursing our son and she needs it to store his milk. I immediately received a response from Kristina that said she acknowledged my request, would do what she could to accommodate my request but could not guarantee it. Celebrating our 13th anniversary together, my wife and I checked into the hotel, and Kristina was working the front desk. She was very professional, attentive, and informative. She immediately checked with housekeeping to make sure our fridge was in our room. For some reason, it was not, but she said that a fridge would be delivered to our room very soon. About 10 minutes after we were in our room, housekeeping delivered the fridge. Very soon after that, we received a call from Kristina, checking on us and making sure we were okay and that, if we needed anything, she would accommodate our needs. Later in the evening, we received a call from my mother-in-law saying she could not deal with our son's fussiness and for us to pick him up immediately. I then called Kristina, letting her know that we would be picking up our five-month-old son and that he would be staying with us even though, when we booked, I did not include him. Without any delay, she asked me whether we needed a baby bed and assured me that it was absolutely fine that he would be staying with us. After picking up our son, the baby bed was delivered to our room. The bed was so good that we will be investing in one once we get back home! My son has slept really well here and also has enjoyed these accommodations.

We are frequent visitors in downtown San Diego, since we are Chargers season ticket holders, and have stayed at almost every hotel in the downtown/Gaslamp area from the U.S. Grant, Hard Rock, Westin, Solamar, Omni, etc. We have not received better customer service than what we received here at The Bristol. I don't usually write reviews, but I will especially when we receive customer service that far exceeds our expectations.

As far as the accommodations are concerned, the rooms are very spacious, clean, and comfortable. There are plenty of outlets. The AC/heater wasn't loud and worked efficiently. The free wifi is fast. The only con about this place is there are no HD channels. That is it! And that is no big deal at all!

The Bristol far exceeded our expectations in terms of quality and service. I would definitely recommend this boutique hotel. It's been very quiet and comfortable here. We have definitely found a home away from home!

TIP: If you drive a hybrid vehicle, parking is 50% off!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear bluiCSR,

Thank you for your outstanding comments and we are so happy that your stay was enjoyable! Also, congratulations, on your 13th wedding anniversary!

Kristina is our super star Reservations Manager and has a genuine interest in every guest’s satisfaction that stays at the Bristol Hotel. From the bottom of my heart thank you for your acknowledgements, they certainly mean a lot to me and especially to Kristina. We are pleased to learn that your 5 month year old son decided to drop by and be an unexpected guest. I hope he liked his special bed and accommodations and that he tells all his buddies at the nursery to stay at the Bristol Hotel!

In the future, when making reservations, contact either myself or Kristina and we will personally take care of your reservation requests. On behalf of the Bristol Team, we look forward to your many return visits and wedding anniversary celebrations and thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

San Diego
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room and hotel premises were very charming. We brought our small dog and did not incur extra expenses for this. There were homeless people around the hotel in the evening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 Thank Roger C
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Roger,

Thank you for your comments. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

As in every major city, homeless can be visible in the evening and our city government is very active in working towards improving the situation. I would like to assure you that our local police precinct is just two blocks away and they maintain a very watchful eye; we are a very safe neighborhood.

We embrace being a Pet Friendly Hotel and I enjoy seeing the many, happy wagging tails that cross through our lobby. What did “Fido” think of the Bristol Hotel? I hope he recommends us to all his buddies!!

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for selecting our hotel.

Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stay at The Bristol each year when we attend San Diego Opera. It is a very short walk from the Opera House in downtown San Diego and close to the Gaslamp District, Horton Plaza and a breezy walk to the ocean. A charming boutique hotel with a lovely atmosphere. Very friendly staff, you will be guaranteed a warm, helpful welcome. Comfy beds, interesting decor, we love this place. We travel a great deal and have many options but in San Diego, the Bristol wins hands down. Highly recommended from the valet parking on arrival to the smiling goodbye on departure.

Room Tip: This is noisy downtown San Diego so a room on an upper floor for quietness is a good idea.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brynette
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Brynette,

You are one of our most valued guests. We love having you and our staff is always sorry to see you leave! Thank you for such nice accolades and I will share them with my staff; a great reinforcement that a job well done does not go unnoticed. We sure hope that you enjoyed the Opera and are happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our location.

On behalf of the Bristol team, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I cannot wait to check back in to this hotel. The pricing was very reasonable. The position was absolutely perfect. I was using public transport, and this hotel was central to everything. The beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was clean and tidy. Staff were polite and helpful. A truly fantastic experience.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rach D
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Rach D,

Thank you for a great review and we can’t wait for your next visit!!

We pride ourselves in offering excellent guest service, clean and comfortable accommodations at reasonable room rates in a centralized location. Public transportation is located directly out front and around the corner from the hotel and all of the sights and sounds of San Diego are nearby.

On behalf of the Bristol Team, thank you for staying at the Bristol Hotel.

Chilliwack
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Quiet boutique hotel with updated, classy decor with helpful amazing staff.
Great beds, well appointed bathroom. Incredible location for four nights. We walked everywhere, terrific access to all modes of transportation. Will come back and do highly recommend, a jewel in downtown San Diego.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very nice hotel and reasonably priced. The staff was very friendly, our room was clean, the bed was comfortable - what more could you want? The cleaning staff actually made our bed differently every day, which I thought was a very nice touch. We ate breakfast one morning in the hotel restaurant (First Avenue Bar & Grille) and I was very surprised by how yummy my oatmeal and eggs were. $5 mimosas all day are also a plus. When we come back to visit San Diego, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear MissGolden,

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, the Bristol Hotel offers very comfortable rooms at reasonably priced room rates and our staff does an exceptional job in making sure that the Bristol is spotless. The First Avenue Bar and Grille Management Staff will be pleased to learn that you enjoyed your morning breakfast - the Oatmeal, Eggs and most of all (our morning eye opener) our Mimosas!

Most of all, thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your return visit.