“1 Night Staycation”

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Recommend - Yes
Will I stay again - Yes

Location: Awesome, steps to the Gaslamp and Mall
Room: Clean, cool decor, friendly customer service
Going Green: Room has "green" products from natural soaps to a cool electrical flushing system to conserve water
Parking: Discounted guest parking for Hybrid cars!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Sandro M,

Thank you for acknowledging our environmental efforts! Our management company, Greystone Hotels is committed to staying green and our collection of boutique hotels has been a leader in placing environmentally friendly initiatives in our everyday practices and guestroom amenities.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your accommodations and our great location. I sincerely hope that you will return soon and please feel free to contact me directly when making a future reservation!

Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

Kind Regards ansd Safe Travels,

The Bristol San Diego

Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights when I was in San Diego for a convention. I really struggled to find a hotel as everything around the city centre was booked months in advance. When a room at the Bristol became available I was relieved that I could stay at a decent hotel even if it was for £130 a night. Believe it or not this was the cheapest I could get for a 3 star hotel and above, within 2 miles of the convention centre. For this amount of money I did get a room with 2 kingsize beds (although I only needed one). The room as expected was very large and comfortable and stylishly decorated. The whole hotel was clean and the staff were very polite, welcoming and keen to assist and ensure your stay was pleasant and relaxing. The building is relatively old but well maintained. No breakfast was included in the price but there was a filter coffee maker in the room with complementary filter coffee bags provided on a daily basis. I did try the restaurant on one occasion as I was given a free drink voucher and half of the dishes on the menu were half price for guest. The restaurant was empty and the food was nothing special. I did get complementary wi-fi internet which I found fast and extremely convenient. There is valet parking available if needed.
The best selling point for this place is that it is very conveniently placed in the city centre. It is across the road from the main shopping mall, 5 minutes walk from the Gaslamp Quarter and 10min walk from the convention centre.
Overall this is an ideally place hotel at the heart of San Diego if that is what you are looking for. It is of reasonable standard and provides comfortable accommodation with good service. It is expensive like most hotels in the city centre and not necessary value for money. I would stay there again if I was visiting San Diego for a convention but I would make sure I book way early to ensure a better price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2012

After a great deal of driving around we wanted to end our 3 week visit to the USA with a little relaxation in San Diego. We chose the Bristol because of it's location and the reasonable price for our 3 night stay. Our superior king room was on the 7th floor and provided a view of the bay in the distance. It was nicely furnished and very comfortable. Whilst unpacking we did hear some rather strange noises coming from above and were worried that this could continue throughout the night. We found that staff were moving furniture in a function room above and fortunately the noise did not continue for too long. Being in a city centre there was some traffic noise during the course of the night and early morning but this was not a problem. We found that most of what we wanted to see in the city was either within walking distance or possible to get to by using public transport. We particularly enjoyed walking to Little Italy for a happy hour drink or an evening meal. We found the hotel and it's location to be ideal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel as your destination before heading home!

I have shared your comments with our staff and they were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your accommodations, service and spectacular views!

Our goal is to provide a great guest experience and from your review, it appears we passed with flying colors. Incidentally, if you find yourself visiting our fine city in the future, we are a pet friendly hotel, so please feel free to bring along your dog, cat, canary or goldfish!

Once again, thank you.

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Clean, well appointed room. Close to Westfield Horton Plaza (typical mall) and Gaslamp Quarter. An easy 5-6 block walk to convention center. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Fitness room tiny without view but relatively up to date equipment. Free use of computer and printer in lobby handy for printing boarding passes.

• Stayed: October 2012
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear lcjmd,

On behalf of the Bristol Team we thank you for a great review. We strive to be an exceptional hotel that offers great value, clean and comfortable accommodations and excellent service.

I couldn't help but notice in your e-mail address that you are from NYC and I hope that this acknowledgement finds you safe and sound from the wrath of Sandy.

On you next visit to San Diego, please feel free to contact me directly and I will gladly handle your reservation request.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

It was sort of a painful experience. We spent 5 nights in the Bristol. We went in a bit blind off of other reviews and were pretty disappointed. It could be that one must be young and terminally hip to stay here, but the rooms were dated with a slightly mouldy feel. Fit and finish in the rooms were poor - perhaps apprentice tradesfolk did the work, no fans in bathrooms, poor air control, lots (read LOTS) of street noise. Very difficult to sleep in this place... well, that and the bed needed to be replaced. Would not stay there again and would advise those thinking of it to have a sober second look. And, just for atmosphere, its just around the corner from a long string of bail bond providers. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Room Tip: lots (LOTS) of street noise....
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Roger P,

Thank you for your comments.

The Bristol hotel is a very clean, comfortable, service orientated hotel located in downtown San Diego, just a few blocks from the Gaslamp District, Convention Center and all major attractions. We extend to our guests affordable accommodations that are accompanied with our high quality standards in housekeeping and maintenance.

I extend to you my personal apologies concerning your disappointment. Your review gives me pause to reflect upon our hotel and see where we can improve.

As I am corresponding to you, we are formulating our 2013 Renovation Plan and we will be upgrading our bed spreads, artwork, décor accent pillows, drapes and lamps. We will also improve upon several bathroom features.

I realize it may be difficult to win back your confidence, however, when your travel plans find you coming back to San Diego, please feel free to contact me so that I may personally handle your reservation request.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Great experience here. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I stayed only one night but the accommodations were superb. A comfortable eco-sensible hotel with a great location in the downtown area. Tons of great shops and restaurantsnearby in the gas lamp area of downtown. I booked online and got a great deal on the room. When I called and asked about parking in a nearby lot vs. valet I was told by the front desk that I receive free valet service included with my room! GREAT! And they also offered me a free upgrade to a grand king room which is a bit larger as far as square footage goes. All in all I was quite impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the quality of service here at the Bristol.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade.. It may be free.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your outstanding review!!!

We strive to be the perfect hotel, offering clean, spacious and comfortable accommodations, value, location, and most importantly - customer service and satisfaction. It looks like we succeeded in making your stay a most pleasant one and my entire staff thanks you for recognizing our efforts. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at the Bristol Hotel and hope to see you again soon.

The Bristol Hotel San Diego

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed at the Bristol for a night and while it was a cool hotel in a cool spot in downtown. My disappointment came when I saw that a large group of teens were staying at the hotel too for some dance competition. Why on earth can hotel management use their heads and keep them all on the same floor. Of course they I was put on that floor and of course at 1:00am they were still running around. May better management prevail.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at The Bristol Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Al E,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed out downtown San Diego location and our hotel. Regarding the disturbance you had, once we had become aware that we were having noise complaints we immediately contacted security. We also spoke with the chaperons, brought the problem to their attention and from that point on, disturbances had ceased.

I apologize to you for an unpleasant experience and I assure you that this was the exception and not a situation that we would tolerate in the future.

On your next visit to San Diego, please feel free to contact me directly so that I may make amends and personally take care of your reservation request.

The Bristol Hotel San Diego