“WONDERFUL HOTEL!”

Residence Inn San Diego Central
Ranked #117 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 8, 2014

On December 21, 2013 my grand daughter and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate my birthday. The front desk clerks, Michelle and Jose were very friendly and helpful and made our stay a night to remember. We enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi in which they told us we would enjoy. If we had any questions they were right there to help us out. The whole Inn was beautiful and the rooms were large, very clean and had everything possible you could think of us to use. Refridgerators, stoves, ovens, microwaves, dishes, pots, pans, etc. etc. Our room was like a home away from home. Large flat screen tvs, couches, kitchen tables and decorated so beautiful. The breakfast the Inn provided for free was about the best I have ever had. They offered waffles with every kind of topping possible, eggs, biscuits and gravy, bagels, potatoes, toast, hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit and fruit juices, coffee, teas, hot chocolate and thats

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Hi dana a! Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay!. You truly started my day out in a wondrous fashion! I am happy that you were able to take advantage of the facilities and that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. Michelle and Jose are both superstars and I am so happy that I am able to work with both of them. They understand the meaning of guest service and both consistently deliver. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and will let the breakfast staff know that they are doing a great job. I will personally thank Michelle and Jose for their service and share your comments with the entire staff at our next all-employee gathering. Happy travels and we look forward to hosting you on your return.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We typically stay 11-14 days a year, so this hotel worked perfectly. The unit was a condo-style with separate bed and bath for our girls, and my wife and I had our privacy downstairs. The breakfast room was busy but continually stocked, and they had night meals with beer and wine some nights.

The staff was very friendly, and accommodated our youngest daughter's 6th birthday party outside with no problems. Probably the best feature was the location. It's close to everything!

The border, Balboa park and our relatives in Lakeside were all within a 25 minute drive or less. Did not have a chance to use the fireplace, but they sell logs at the front desk.

Room Tip: Ask for a penthouse unit if you have children and want some privacy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi Chris G and thanks so much for your review of our property. I am so happy that we were able to have such a positive impact on you and your family. I am happy that your daughter's party went so well and that the staff was able to meet the needs of your family or breakfast. I agree that the penthouse suites are a great choice families with children. Our staff works extremely hard to provide exceptional service and an exceptional experience and I am very happy to share your feedback with our entire staff at our next all-employee gathering. Thanks again and happy travels!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The staff is very friendly and they are the best. We were there for 3 months and it was super. We like to watch TV to relax and the channels have much to be desired. We ended up buying a Wifi blue ray player and subscribing to Netflix. That was fine for us. Our place was nice, close to things. I worked nearby and did not have to deal with traffic. It's close to the freeways, so it easy to get places. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Hi Renald G! Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay and thanks for the nice compliments. Our staff works hard to deliver awesome service and I am happy that we were able to exceed your expectations. Our property was purpose-built for extended stay travelers such as yourself and your comments serve to reinforce this concept. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to San Diego in the future and we can host you again.

Safe travels and only the best in 2014!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stayed at this Residence Inn for over three months when our house was being fixed! It was truly our "home away from home." Nice setting, decent breakfast spread (even after 3 months), and really fabulous staff (Ivan is a favorite). The housekeepers (which we used about 1x per week) were fabulous (did a great job), and the food crew was great (really hard working). Jose, Amanda, and Alex were nice as well.
The manager was nice to us as well (though we overheard him talking down to staff members, really harshly, several times, which is unprofessional, rude, and definitely unnecessary. We understand frustration when people don't do what they are supposed to, but there are other ways of communicating- such as incentives as opposed to verbal punishments).
Also, there was a little bird's nest that was removed (tossed into the trash), eggs and all, which was heartbreaking to several different groups of visitors. Yes, animals are "dirty," but they are part of nature (we are taking over their territory), and many people enjoy seeing and hearing birds (peaceful and relaxing).
The pool setting was nice, and they have a basketball court, a decent gym (though some of the equipment was broken for weeks at a time), and several BBQ grills that can be used.
They have evening snacks several nights a week as well (BBQ, salads and soups, etc.)
The kitchen was great (comes with everything needed to cook), the bed was very comfortable, the room, in general, was great (lots of new stuff).
Overall, great place to stay, and close to just about everything SD has to offer- especially lots of good Asian food!

Room Tip: Find more parking towards the back. The West side has lovely sunsets.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Hi Gigi G. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We work very hard to deliver a quality product and service. I look forward to reading your entire review to the staff at the next all-employee gathering. We have lots of bird nests around the property and our staff as well as guests enjoy when birds tend to their families. We do remove the nests after the birds have left them and the chicks have hatched because not all of our guests enjoy the fact that a birds nest is directly outside of their room. I am most likely the manager that was talking down to the staff although I don't remember any occasion when I reprimanded the staff. I do joke with them often and their are times when we do some training and role-playing at the desk. I never take my staff for granted and realize that they are the backbone of our business. Thank you for helping to reinforce this. Thanks again for your candid feedback, and your patronage. God bless you and Merry Christmas!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I travel around for a living and this was the worse hotel for customer service the AM clerk on Saturday 11/30/13 was awful didn't seem to care about anything. The rooms are nice and clean and cozy. Awesome location but again service was horrible

• Stayed: November 2013
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Hi Mike B. Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. Our Guest service Agent informed me of a situation that occurred on Sunday morning and my Front Office Manager left you a voice message and sent an email asking you to contact him. Please feel free to call me at 858-278-2100 to discuss your particular situation. Thank you!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Staying here made our vacation perfect. The location, the beds, the kitchen, the breakfast... everything. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. The full kitchen was a blessing. Breakfast was very satisfying, and there was enough variety that even though we were there for nearly three weeks, we didn't get bored with it.
The only thing I felt could be improved was to enforce the no food and drinks policy in the pool area. My kids actually came back from the pool a couple of times because they felt uncomfortable with people drinking alcohol there.
Other than that, we all loved our stay there, and we were all happy to get back to our wonderful room after our long summer days.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hi BridgesR! Thanks so much for your review of our property! You were on vacation for a good amount of time and we appreciate your taking the time to offer your comments regarding your stay. We work hard to provide a comfortable environment for our guests traveling on vacation and on work assignment. I am pleased that we were able to provide the nice variety of foods at breakfast. Many of our guests like to unwind after a long day with a beverage by the pool and I am sorry that it was uncomfortable for your kids. It is our goal to allow our guests to experience our amenities in a way that does not affect our other guests. Currently, food and drink is permitted around the pool area and glassware is prohibited for safety reasons. If behavior at the pool becomes inconsistent with our goal, then it is our responsibility to take action.

Your feedback means so much and I thank you for taking the time to share. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to San Diego and to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here with lots of family as we were in town for a wedding. Very spacious penthouse with two separate bedrooms--upstairs and down, full kitchen and living area. Ideal for extended stay with the amenities and the great breakfast. Staff was always friendly & helpful
Great location--and the steakhouse right nearby was also real good!
Would definitely recommend...just with any ailment or disability make sure you request the first level as dragging suitcases up stairs is a little rough.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Hi James C!.Thank you so much for your review of our property. Our property is truly suited for extended stays and I am so happy that your group enjoyed their accommodations. The steakhouse you mentioned is "The Butcher Shop" and they do an excellent job of delivering awesome service and steaks. We look forward to hosting you on your return trip and thanks again for taking the time out of your schedule to offer your feedback.