“The staff is absolutely awesome.”

Residence Inn San Diego Central
Ranked #108 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The service is absolutely well above expectation. The people are incredibly friendly and helpful. The accommodations are standard Residence Inn, and location is probably farther from Downtown San Diego than we like, but the service more than made up for it. Since we want to see UCSD and La Jolla beach, the location is fine

The afternoon/evening guest cookout reception was great

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
RI_Central, Director of Sales at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Rosaline K,
Thank you! I have to agree--we are lucky to have a great team that takes care of our guests! Thank you for staying with us! Come back soon!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am truly surprised by the enthusiastic reviews of this property. To begin, it really is in no man's land. If you are doing business in the industrial parks of Kearney Mesa, then perhaps it makes sense. If you are visiting San Diego as a tourist, you may find the central location somewhat useful, but you will hardly feel like you are on vacation. Kearney Mesa is, to say the least, not one of the prettier parts of the city, and the reviewer who was concerned about nighttime safety is not being unreasonable. I suggest the Mission Valley property instead as far as location goes. No amount of rehab of this hotel is going to save it from its lousy location and lousy layout.

This property is really quite large and if you are down at the far end (buildings 12-18), you will have a real hike through a slightly confusing maze to get to breakfast and to the rather small pool. Forget about walking food back to your room. It's just way too far away. The breakfast is not bad, but get there early if you want to avoid the ill-behaved children's soccer teams. The evening reception is disappointing. The chili is from a can. The wine is vile, and making matters worse, they chill the red wine. The only beer is Bud lite. Not even ordinary Bud (not that either is any good."

The rooms are not terrible, but they are not true suites. They are all studios. In other words there is no separate living room. The kitchen has pretty much everything you need to cook a decent meal and there is a grocery store just a mile west called Food for Less, which is actually a pretty good grocery store with really good prices (Amsterdam Gin for 14.00!) but is pretty down market in appearance. If you need signs to tell you what is on what aisle, forget it. Very good produce.

If you are enthusiastic about Asian dining then this is your neighborhood to be sure. There is a superabundance of Asian dining opportunities in Kearney Mesa. If you would like your children not to ask you what a so-called "gentlemen's club" is or "adult bookstore" (even though real gentlemen and real adults don't go to these places) you might want to look for another property. If jet airplane sounds from Miramar sounds like freedom to you then you might like this place. If they sound like tax dollars going up in flames you might not like it.

Room maintenance was very attentive on an internet access problem. No wifi in the rooms. You have to plug into the cable.

The property is worn down.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool. The higher the number of your building the longer your walk.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Junipero-Serra
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Clean - spacious - well equipped; I stayed in a suite for business. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were not the best. Would stay here again, but only for business due to the fact that it is located next to a military base and one night jets were going up and down for hours. I don't think I would want that for a vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed here on business. The location was a pain, but I won't base my review on that because I knew that before booking - it was the last choice I was given by my work.

It was clean, food was ok - what you'd expect. Services were great e.g. order food to your room. Amenities were useful too e.g. cooker, fridge.

Having a fridge in the room you sleep in was annoying though so I had to turn it off. Although apart from that it was generally very quiet.

The one thing that lets this place down is when I arrived. I'm a single woman, don't know the area and it was about 11pm when I arrived. The people on the desk just pointed me in the direction of the little chalet I was staying in. It was actually pretty scary walking around trying to find it on my own. When I got there my key didn't work either, so had to return and walk back again on my own to find it. I thought this was REALLY bad service and I really just didn't feel safe at all. I just would have appreciated someone walking me to my room!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sneaky_Bee
Thank you for your review. We understand that some guests are not fond of our exterior entrances. Unfortunatley, that is something we can not change. However, rest assure that we do have nightly security on site, as well as staff at the front desk 24 hours a day who would be happy to escort you to your door at night.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I travel to San Diego somewhat regularly on business. It had been about six months since my last stay at this property, and it seems to have aged a few years since my last stay. There was no one thing in particular that stood out, but everything just seemed a bit more worn down and tired than it had before. The whirlpool that used to be in the middle of the inn had been taken out and concreted over; the lobby and common areas seemed a little shabbier; the happy hour and pool area were the same.
The breakfast was good, and everything in the room worked. This location is extremely convenient for me as it is within 1/4 mile of my work location. It was everything that I needed, but not a lot more.

Room Tip: I chose a room on the ground floor, as the steps are a bit narrow and tough to negotiate with luggag...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear JohnHeuvl,
Thank you! We are hoping to plan a renovation very soon! Hopefully on your next visit you will get to experience our new look!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Although our kids are grown, we still enjoy Residence Inns and have had good experiences. In this case, the room was very good and there are no complaints there - the rating would have been better if the room was the only thing being rated.

But the breakfast quality and size of the breakfast area felt less than some other Residence Inns and the staff was less experienced and informed based upon my interactions and inquiries. It is not really the fault of the property there is no public transportation method for getting downtown without driving at least five miles - say to a ballgame or to the Gaslamp - but it still cost it in this rating. Finally, although mid-stay rate increases do happen and it might not be the fault of the hotel, receiving one during a routine middle-of-the-week stay also impacted our rating.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here before in a studio room when visiting family. I am pretty particular about hotel cleanliness and I must say that the staff do a very good job. it is very family friendly and it has a nice breakfast buffet. We also liked that it was centrally located. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We chose a room close to the parking lot so we didn't have far to walk with bags.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear 14Quality!
Thank you! We look forward to your next visit!