“Great staff! Great building!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard San Diego Downtown
Ranked #18 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Naples, Florida
“Great staff! Great building!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Loved our stay. Great room always clean. Historic building with great history. Ask for a tour of the vault and other fun areas of the building..... We loved the history of the building and the tour but it was the friendly knowledgeable staff that made our stay wonderful. Great help from John, Ramon and Veronica Marriott's best! If you need a concierge talk to John!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have great views! Room 907 was great views down Broadway and to Petco park.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shawn C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We're traveling the country using all the Marriott lines from Fairfield and Townplace to South beach Marriott Stanton and this Courtyard Staff are universally wonderful, as here, but for premium, especially Platinum members, they're the worst deal Marriott offers. No free breakfast like the cheap lines, no concierge lounge like the real Marriott's. Lobby spectacular, upgraded suite wonderful, but spending $10k to get elite status, paying over $200 with parking, and then paying for breakfast is why I stay clear of Courtyard where possible.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DC196
Martinsville, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is a very unique hotel and I would recommend checking it out! At one time it was a bank and now it has been transformed into a beautiful hotel. The details throughout the hotel are clever. It has a look of days gone by, but is definitely a very modern hotel with all the amenities you expect from Marriott hotels. Staff was very friendly, rooms very clean and comfortable beds, and it's in a great location! Only problem -didn't get to stay long enough -had to leave to go to Anaheim.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane N
warren, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Without doubt the best staff from top to bottom of any hotel I've ever stayed,and I'm 60 so I've had lots of experiences. Cordial,efficient, knowledgeable, over and above to make my stay a great one. The only negative is no pool, but if they were allowed (historical bldg) I'm sure they would have put one in for me! Great location and just a 10 minute walk to Petco stadium. Would highly recommend for anyone especially first timers!

Room Tip: Get an interior room to hear no traffic
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights while I was attending a conference (and had a short holidays also) in San Diego. I can say nothing but great things about this hotel!! It is in a great location, right near 5th avenue which is the main strip of the Gaslamp area which is full of restaurants and nightlife options. It is in close vicinity to the 3 main trolley lines and the bus to the zoo which made it easy to get around.

The room I stayed in was on the 6th floor and was really large and spacious. It was also quiet and I had no problem sleeping at night despite my window facing the main street. I also think it was great I had the option to decline the daily housekeeping for environmental reasons- I was staying alone so didn't need new towels or sheets daily. The room contained a large TV which was great at night time and also had a coffee maker, microwave and bar fridge. There is also a 24 hour 7/11 next door which is really convenient.

The stand out for me was the staff. They were so friendly and made my stay very comfortable. As I was flying in from Australia I emailed a few days prior to my arrival to ask if there was any chance my room would be ready earlier than the 3pm check in as I was arriving at 9am in the morning. I received a lovely email back saying that they understood why I would like early check in and although they cannot guarantee it, they would try their very best for me to have an early check in. Sure enough when I arrived I was shown straight to my room which was just fantastic after such a long haul flight.

One of the amazing things about this hotel is the architecture inside. The building was originally a bank that was converted into a hotel about 10 years ago. Make sure you ask for a tour at the front desk of the vaults..... it was truly amazing and a highlight of my San Diego stay. Kamal was the lovely staff member who gave me the tour and he was so knowledgeable! Kamal told me all about the history of the hotel and really took the time and effort to answer my questions and show me around.

Overall I would not stay anywhere else in San Diego, this place is just great and the staff the best I have ever experienced at a hotel.

Thank you!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a tour of the vaults!!!!!
Green Features: Fantastic the option to have daily cleaning and towel washing declined for environmental purposes.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Tania999
Okemos, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

Hotel staff were incredibly helpful, from an upgrade at checkin to finding food locally. Very cool hotel. Maintained history with a modern upgrade. The vault conference room is a must see . Room was very clean, bed comfy, and housekeeping staff was great. 15 minute walk to convention and located at the corner of 7-eleven, 7-eleven, and cvs. Great to avoid high convention prices on soda and coffee. Would recommend and will be back.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Tissue_Factor
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

Had a fantastic stay at this gorgeous hotel. The old bank was amazing to see and great that they still have all the old signs, vaults and decoration around the place. The room was quite average due to size but the beds were very comfortable with great views. You are unable to open the windows but the air conditioning was fine. Front of staff were extremely friendly every morning. Had a slight hiccup with charging our card for something we didn't order but after a second attempt that was rectified. Bar staff were very friendly with their microbrewery Monday, was a great lobby to hang out in. Free Wifi was no problem for us on both Android, iPhone and laptops through out the hotel. Was very handy. Breakfast as well was delicious and we were well fed every morning. If you are getting breakfast Rodney will look after you and make you feel right at home! He was fantastic as well as the lovely blonde lady whose name we didn't catch! Great stay!

Green Features: Well advertised though the cleaner always took our towels even when they were hung up.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business