“Good location and staff”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #15 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 16, 2014

First time in San Diego, but I frequent Marriott. The location is good, most things are walkable. The staff were all great and very helpful. There is a daily happy hour that gives fantastic drink deals. Only con was the paper thin walls (we could actually hear someone snoring through the walls). We happened to be in town during a busy time so this may not always be as big of an issue, but past building new walls I'm not sure what can be done about it. Just something to consider. Maybe bring some earplugs just in case. Rooms were nice and beds were comfortable. Overall I would definitely recommend.

If you have kids, note that there is no pool here.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Bianca went out of her way to get me some hot coffee and a muffin very early in the AM before she was even open! Customer service will keep me coming back to this fine hotel! This hotel is a terrific place to stay when visiting San Diego.

Room Tip: This hotel is a unique experience. It was a bank filled with marble and ornate decor before it becam...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2014

No secret to my followers that I enjoy staying at Marriotts. While I may enjoy them, I always try my best to review each hotel, even those brands I enjoy, as a fresh experience.

The exemplary customer service started at curbside and never stopped!

I was greeted at the curbside where a young man helped me with my bags to the front desk. Megan then assisted me with my reservation. Once she provided me with my keys and instructions to the elevator, she introduced me to her entire team stating they were all there to make my stay enjoyable. And she was correct!

I had a single room, and though it was a bit tight, it was very clean and inviting. Two objections to the room, though (no biggie to me, but it may bother some long-term visitors):

1. the closet space was VERY limited. I was there for a three-day conference, so not a big deal for me. However, I'm sure a couple visiting for a similar stay might fight over the allotted space. While I appreciate having an ironing board, iron, hairdryer, and digital safe, these objects did take up a good percentage of the closet space.

2. the coffee maker was in the bathroom on the sink. Again, not a biggie for me, but I don't think it's an appropriate place for a my morning brew, and it also took up valuable real estate from the sink. I would prefer to see it on the desk rather than the bathroom sink. Just my two cents.

The shower was spacious, and the shower head water flow was perfect! It helped wake me up in the morning and relaxed me at night before bedtime.

The bed was up to Marriott's standards. I slept perfectly throughout the night.

The bar was a great place to meet with my clients as well as other visitors. Happy Hour specials were abundant and had different offerings daily. The lounge area had several areas to plug devices and offered alternative work spaces to my room's desk.

The best part was once I stepped outside, I was in the heart of the Gas Lamp District--my favorite location in San Diego. So many restaurants and shops were within a short walk and many more if I chose to walk further.

For the price, this hotel offers great value and exemplary customer service.

Room Tip: If closet space is required, ask for which rooms or room types offer larger closets.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank modworldtraveler
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We booked this hotel using a Marriott Category 5 certificate. Considering that all the other downtown properties are category 6 or above, I felt like we got excellent value for the certificate. Unfortunately, as this is a Courtyard, the Marriott platinum benefits are very limited. We had room on the top floor, which meant a great view, but also required taking two elevators and navigating a few poorly signed hallways. The room was spacious and clean and modern - but I wish they had preserved some of the hotel's original character like they did in the lobby and elevators. We had drinks and appetizers at the lobby bar and really enjoyed it. Our beers were half off for happy hour and the tuna appetizer was excellent. We also got a good recommendation for dinner a couple blocks away at Spike Africa (5 stars for food and value!). The room service breakfast was good, albeit a little overpriced. $65 for 2 breakfasts without ordering coffee or orange juice? That's a little steep for a Courtyard and a big drawback from this compared with a Marriott that would provide breakfast vouchers to platinums. Finally, there's a parking garage a block from the hotel that charged $10 per night vs. the $30+ that the hotel asked for.

Room Tip: get a view towards the water... you can see the stadium in the distance.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan K
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was our first stay at this hotel - my daughter ran in the SD 1/2 Marathon so we came for a long weekend with my sister. Our first impression was great and it got better from there. The hotel staff was excellent and very knowledgeable. Dennis, the bellman, went out of his way to help us and explain the history of the hotel. He gave us a tour and pointed out some interesting historical facts. He was very cheery and took time with us even though he was very, very busy. His smile and helpful personality, along with the tour, made the trip memorable. After the race he even congratulated my daughter and took pictures of us. So, from beginning to end, this was a great stay. The hotel has a very positive aura, it is very clean, and has a lot of interesting history! Thanks for a very nice weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here while traveling to San Diego on a day trip with my mom and sister in December 2013 while celebrating new years eve in LA. This property is amazing. Beautiful architecture and location right in the heart of downtown. Near many restaurants and bars so there's plenty to do and see. Service was great and rooms were neat, spacious and clean. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: High Floor will provide the best views
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard for 3 nights in February 2014. We had never been to San Diego before and we're not usually "Marriott" people, however we chose the hotel because my husband had some free nights to use and online it looked like a good location.
Immediately, what stood out when we first arrived was the friendly staff. We were greeted with wide smiles and happy hellos from the front desk crew. In fact, every time we walked by the front desk to get to our room someone would say "hello" or wave as we passed. Usually, I'm not one for the personal attention, but the casual way the staff did it felt like they appreciated our business and it was nice.
Another memorable service moment was when we went to the valet to get our rental car. Not only was the service quick (about a 5 min wait when we didn't call ahead) but the valet attendant was sociable and very organized. A few times we went down in the morning during a rush and he handled each guest or call professionally, keeping track of all of the cars and his guys without breaking a sweat.
The rooms were older, not as updated as I'm used to, but they were clean and the bathroom was quite spacious. I was satisfied.
The location was great. It's right on the edge of the Gaslamp District so we walked to the bars, restaurants, and even the waterfront. If it were spring/summer we could've walked to the baseball stadium. Loved the fact that we were around everything. The zoo and Balboa Park were about a 10 minute drive away, although public transportation ran about a block from the hotel and I know we could have gotten to both using the train.
The only real negative for us would be that the valet charged over $30/night. It seemed a little excessive for this hotel, but overall it wasn't the worst thing in the world.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to others and even stay her again ourselves.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TracyJane76
Thea T, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

TracyJane76, thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very centrally located in downtown which is the reason for our parking. There are many other lots in downtown, however we offer unlimited in and out privileges with 24 hour access to your car. On your next stay if you ask valet, they could recommend other overnight options as well. Although with our location, as you mentioned, most places are within walking distance. I hope to see you on your next visit.