“Fantastic Stay!”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #12 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a work trip to San Diego. The staff was great and the room was clean and quiet. It was a great location as well. Also the valet staff was very friendly and attentive. Even when a friend picked me up they opened the car door for me and wished me a good time- Very cool!

Room Tip: I liked the east facing views as I got to see the sun coming up in the morning.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Thea T, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

T G, Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff provided you with great service. I hope you chose to stay with us when you return to San Diego.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

First time staying at this particular Courtyard, normally I stay in one of the usual suspects for conventions in San Diego. Well, I will be staying here next time I'm in town no questions asked. The rooms are much more spacey than expected. I was afraid the hotel would feel old and worn down since it's in an old bank building, but there is actually a very fresh and modern feel to the lobby, and especially the rooms. Very cool to be in the shell of an historic building but with a truly modern classy experience.

I also typically do not valet, but I couldn't find any better option. I was very pleasantly surprised on how genuinely friendly the valets were, and how helpful with recommendations!! Great front desk team as well.

Keep it up Courtyard San Diego Downtown.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Joel C, Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear what a positive experience you had on your visit to San Diego. Although we are an historic property, the recent renovations offer a more modern and comfortable feel. And thank you for taking the time to mention the exceptional valet and front desk service. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We spent two post-cruise nights in this hotel in February. The hotel staff was wonderful, the room was large and had a great view of the harbor, Point Loma and the Pacific. We had breakfast and a late dinner in the dining room and the food and service were excellent. The hotel is in the Gaslamp district and a short walk to restaurants, bistros and shopping. Every employee we encountered at this Marriott was helpful, friendly, courteous and professional. This was a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have the spectacular view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jim C
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Jim C, thank you for your kind words and wonderful review. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy our convenient location, handcrafted restaurant menu, and spectacular views of San Diego. It is good to hear that our staff was able to assist in making your stay that much more enjoyable. I hope you choose to stay with us on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The customer service was excellent!!! From the front desk, valet parking attendant, and bellmen everyone went above and beyond to help us with a smile on their face. We were traveling with our young daughter and the staff did everything possible to make our trip stress free. We showed up a day early at 12:00 at night and Sal at the front desk was amazing. He got us the very last 2 rooms and made sure that we would not have to move rooms the next day. I will only be staying at this hotel when visiting San Diego in the future. Thank you for all you did to make this vacation memorable!!

Room Tip: We were traveling with family and from the first floor to the sixth floor the rooms were great. We w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

BPP817, Thank you for such a great review and kind words. I am glad to hear that Sau was able to accommodate you and assist in making this stay memorable. He will be glad to hear he made such an impression on your visit. It is good to hear that everyone you met with at our property was able to provide you such a pleasant experience. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

A HISTORIC BUILDING WITH CHARM with valet parking that is a bit pricey, but worth the convenience. Within walking distance of a very popular restaurant, retail, pawn shops and bar district, The Gaslamp Quarters.

Room Tip: Good security in elevators. Stair case is open
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

HomeSweetOmaha, thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I am glad you were also able to enjoy our convenient location and historic property. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here to an evening between two other hotel bookings. The hotel is gorgeous and the staff very helpful. I arrived at 10:30am, hours before check-in, but they got me immediately into a room. Finding the hotel was a little confusing, but I did it. The room was very large, nicely decorated, with a fridge and microwave. My only complaints:
1. The fridge was difficult to operate, was only mildly cold, and giving off quite a bit of heat from the outside.
2. The TV picture was dark and didn't get many channels.
3. No view. I had a view of other hotel rooms and another building.
4. No continental breakfast. For the amount I paid for the room, I feel like they could have had some toast or something.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Kendall P, thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear your stay was not an absolute 10. I apologize you were not happy with our breakfast option. We have a handcrafted menu using fresh produce and as a courtyard we do not offer the buffet any longer. As an historic property, we do offer many different room types as well as harbor views for an additional fee. Next time, ask for a room with a view and we would be more than happy to find something that you would like. I am glad you enjoyed your stay as well as that we were able to provide a complimentary early check in. I hope next time you can stay with us longer!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

My wife and I just stayed at this hotel as a one night layover on our way to Maui. We didn't expect much, just a place to lay our heads. We were extremely pleased with everything.
As others have stated it is a renovated bank building that is on the National Historic Registry and was turned into a hotel in 2013. So everything basically brand new. One other huge plus for us was how quiet the rooms are. I know there were other people in the hotel because I seen them, but you wouldn't know it while in your your room. There is some street noise, but not enough to bother us.
The location is very good as well. Near the Gaslight District, 7 or 8 blocks to Balboa Park, and about 10 blocks to the waterfront.
Now onto the best part of the hotel, the staff. Jillian, Alex, and the entire staff are the most pleasant, helpful, and genuinely nice people we have met in a long time. Our thanks to all.
Next time we will sta y longer.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Jim C, Thank you for your kind words. We are all thrilled to have made such a wonderful impression on your short stay with us. It is good to hear that our historic property and our wonderful service could wow you. I hope Maui was great, but we look forward to your next visit with us where you can also enjoy our great location.