“Not your average Courtyard”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #17 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Not your average Courtyard”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Certainly not the average Courtyard, thank goodness! This is a converted bank from the 20's, and has quite the character. I attended an educational seminar, which was held in the ancient bank vault below street level, complete with giant metal vault door and safety deposit boxes inside. The rooms were new, modern, airy, the 14th floor is a converted shooting range for the female teller staff of old. All staff were ultra accommodating, would definitely return without hesitation.

Room Tip: The higher the better, I was lucky to get the 15th floor, killer view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dianeconger, thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad to hear our staff was so accommodating and could make your stay more comfortable. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Korean first
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days. I loved it the minute I entered. It's an old bank building circa 1920, and it shows in the architecture, ceiling, ornate elevators, and mail chutes. When I got out of the shuttle, I was immediately greeted by friendly faces welcoming me. The amenities are superb. There was a refrigerator and microwave in my room, which certainly came in handy for my "doggie bags." Internet access is free, and if you don't bring your laptop or iPad, no worries -- there are three computers in the lobby. I like room service in the morning, and I highly recommend the French toast. The man who delivered it also had a nice surprise for me -- a side of strawberries with whipped cream. It wasn't even on the menu. I just loved the room service staff. They were genuinely friendly and made me smile. Nice way to start the day. In fact, the whole staff was genuinely friendly. Every time I came back in the evening, the people at the front desk would say, "Welcome back!" My room was clean and quiet, and my bed was so-ooo comfortable. Loved the black-out curtains, too. I went to San Diego to attend a conference. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to the convention center, which was nice for me because I needed the exercise, and the weather was beautiful. Plus, there are plenty of fun things to look at on the way, including lots of nice restaurants. The shuttle from the airport to the hotel only costed $10, and a taxi back to the airport costed about $14. I travel frequently for work and have become fussy about hotels. All too often, one thing or another is broken, or the staff strains to be friendly and helpful. So once I find a good hotel, it's a keeper. If I go to San Diego again, I will definitely stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: I was on the 10th floor in a corner room and had a beautiful view. Not sure if it was north, south...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lorene L, Thank you so much for your kind review. I am glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us and that our staff was able to make your stay feel like home. Although you were here for a convention, I am glad you were able to enjoy the convenience of our location as well. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future. If you need help with reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the front desk.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We chose this hotel based on its good reviews and also we wanted a hotel close to the cruise terminal (5/10 mins by taxi)..It is situated on the edge of the gaslight district, which was very lively on the Friday night we were there with any number of good restaurants to choose from if you are looking for somewhere to eat.
Our room was on the third floor and looked out on the city. Not much of a view, but better than nothing. No street noise. The rooms are excellent; very big,modern & tastefully furnished.
The hotel has a happy hour late afternoon which was a popular spot the night we stayed but the service was slow.
Because we stayed at the hotel on Friday night, we got the "stay for breakfast" rate, which includes breakfast for two. Unfortunately, the hotel limits your choice of breakfast dishes from the menu to one (plus juice, toast etc) which is not good PR for the hotel & makes them look a bit mean. So if breakfast means a lot to you, you will be disappointed..
Overall though we enjoyed our brief stay at the Courtyard Marriott and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Aussie-Traveller3121, I apologize that the breakfast options you had were not what you were expecting. We do not have a Courtyard Bistro as we have fresh, local items instead. We are only able to offer certain items as the breakfast is included in the room rate. I am glad you enjoyed you unique property and convenient location. I hope next time you stay with us you will be able to enjoy the restaurant for the great service we are known for. We also have a variety of room types, so please contact the hotel before your next stay so that we can find a room that best suites you. We look forward to having you as our guest and providing you with a wonderful experience.
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Loved staying her for 3 nights over Halloween. I love the fact that even though this is a converted hotel it is still quiet considering where it is located. I stayed in a corner king room and between the black out curtains and the reinforced windows, there was virtually no noise. Staff was great and very attentive. Got some great dinner recommendations from John? at the front desk. I ordered lunch one day to take up to my room so I could work and was a little disappointed at the quality of the food I ordered although there are many great restaurants to choose from in the area. I stay at a lot of Marriott hotels and was a little shocked that the valet parking was $36.00 per night. I do not think I have ever paid that much to park overnight at a Marriott although the valet guys were very helpful and friendly. Great place to stay, centrally located and the nicest Courtyard I have stayed at. Loved the history of the building and that they kept much of the bank features intact.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and corner room if available
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
M K, Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that John was so helpful. I apologize that the food was not the quality you were expecting, and I will talk to our restaurant staff about that. We have a special menu for our property and strive to go beyond what is expected. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our convenient location and wonderful staff though. We hope you choose to stay with us again on your next Visit to San Diego.
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My Wife, brother in law, his wife and his two teenage daughters spent one night (Sat. Nov. 9th '13) at the downtown Courtyard by Marriott hotel. From start to finish it was a very pleasant experience. The employees were all polite, attentive and enthusiastically helpful without making it feel, like it does in some hotels, that they are just fishing for better tips. They all truly seemed to enjoy their jobs and it showed.

We had adjoining rooms on the 4th floor facing south. The rooms were modern, comfortably set up and quiet. The rooms were spotless. They were several very tall windows on two walls making the room bright and inviting. Being on the 4th floor, we had wonderful city views.

The building itself is historical having originally been a bank that opened in the early 1900's. Because it's a registered historical site, they have kept the building largely the same as it was when it was a working bank with its many fascinating features. It's an architecturally beautiful building with many interesting features.

Although all of the employees we encountered were polite, professional and friendly, one stood out and deserves special mention; 19 year old Bell person Ramon Morales was in training in the dining area when we ate and we got to know him well over the several hours we were there. What an amazing young man. His enthusiasm was infectious. He seems to love the hospitality industry and particularly his job at the Courtyard by Marriott that was employing him. He was unfailingly polite, knowledgeable, and a great raconteur of the buildings history. He volunteered to give us a tour of the building, pointing out the many historical flourishes and artifacts which we all found fascinating. We all agreed that it was one of the highlights of our visit.

This Marriott is centrally located downtown to many of the San Diego attractions people will want to see while visiting the city and we cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. We had a very pleasant, very comfortable stay, and will no doubt stay at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
John Y, Thank you for such a wonderful review. We have received all of your comments and are so happy to have had such an impact on your stay, especially from Ramon. I am very pleased our staff and our unique property were able to impress you. On your next trip to San Diego, please contact one of the front desk supervisors or myself if you need assistance with reservations. You can reach us at Ashley.reid@cymsandiego.com, Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com, or Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com. We look forward to providing you with another great experience at our property.
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 9, 2013

One of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed at. Beautiful remake into a hotel from a 1920's bank.
Aside from the building, the staff, without exception, was attentive, smart, friendly, and knowledgeable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
David C, Thank you for such kind words about our staff. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our unique property and that our wonderful staff was able to assist you. We hope you stay with us on your next visit to San Diego.
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Located on the edge of the Gaslamp District and within walking distance of Balboa Park, this hotel was a perfect location for a romantic weekend getaway. What a magnificant Courtyard! They took a historic bank building and converted it into a beautiful hotel. Very modern, yet at the same time they pay homage to the history of the building throughout the hotel. The lobby, elevators, hallways and rooms are a perfect blend of new and art deco style. Marble flooring and intricate ceilings in the lobby as well as some beautiful furniture from the bank days are fantastic Modern elevators have a warm, historic feel to them Guest room hallways are beautifullly carpeted and are lined with richly paneled crown moulding. Each room is designed with a classy bank theme on its walls, flooring an bedding. Staff is professional and courteous. Daily Happy Hour in bar is another nice feature. VERY impressive hotel. .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve R
Steve R, Thank you for such a great review. We are pleased to hear how much you were able to enjoy our unique and historic property. If you didn’t get a tour, I recommend asking for one from a bellman on your next visit. We would be more than happy to open the vault room for you as well. I am glad you were able to enjoy our convenient location and our wonderful staff as well. We hope to see you on your next visit to San Diego.