“More a Marriott than a Courtyard”

Courtyard San Diego Downtown
Ranked #16 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“More a Marriott than a Courtyard”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Having stayed at many Courtyard's in the past, I was pleasantly surprised to find out this was nothing like the others, and I mean that in a good way.Very elegant hotel, beautiful rooms, and excellent customer service.

Also location is prime, walking distance to Gaslamp Quarter, and a very short cab to Little Italy. Not sure what the regular price tag per night would be since I used points, but I was very impressed and would stay here again if visiting.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
MohsinZ, Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our convenient location. Our prices vary on special events and room types, so please feel free to contact the hotel directly for more information. We hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Of the half-dozen or so Courtyards I've stayed at, this property is definitely the nicest--and it's not even close. In fact, it's a better property than most if not all of the Marriotts and JW Marriotts that I've stayed at around the world.
The physical building itself certainly helps. It's a converted heritage building (a bank) that retains a lot of its original grandeur. On the lower level, the original bank vault has been preserved and is now a meeting room.
The room I had was in great shape, quite large and the bed was comfy. It also had a microwave, mini-fridge and safe, all of which worked well. If you're a view person, that would be a strike against this hotel. I had an inward looking room that meant I kept the curtains closed, but maybe the higher outside rooms would be substantially nicer.
I had room service several times and tried three different apps and three different mains. All were really, really good. They come from their restaurant "Lobby", so I would imagine that actually eating there would be a good plan.
The gym has a small rack of dumbbells (5-40 lbs), a small universal machine with two cables, and a few treadmills, bikes and ellipticals machines. There's no swimming pool.
Every employee I've come into contact with has been friendly and welcoming.
The location is convenient, at the top end of the Gaslamp district. It's about a 10-minute walk through Gaslamp to get to the ballpark, and another 5 minutes past there gets you to the convention center.
I think this is my fifth time to San Diego on business, and I've stayed at some high-end properties (Hyatt Manchester, Hilton Bayfront, Sheraton Marina), but I would choose this Courtyard over all of these.
Very impressed!!

Green Features: You can opt out of daily housekeeping if you prefer, and if you're a Marriott member staying 2 nights or more, they'll give you 500 points per night, up to 1,000 points.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Moffman
Moffman, thank you for such a great review. I am glad you were able to enjoy all the conveniences of our property as well as enjoying its history and our staff’s great service. It is good to hear how impressed you were with your stay. We do have many different room types and some do have a city view. Please contact me or the front desk supervisors for your next stay and we can help you find something that best suited you. You can email us at Ashley.reid@cymsandiego.com, Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com and Sergio.lee@cymsandiego.com.
Vancouver
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard in downtown San Diego in early October, and it was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is in an old bank building. The lobby ceiling is restored, and blends nicely with the contemporary lobby furnishings. The reception desks are made from the recycled materials from the old teller stations. The hallways are very wide, because the building was previously used for offices. Some of the doors still have mail slots. It adds to the charm.

Our room (2 queen beds) and bathroom were a good size: nicely renovated, contemporary, inviting. My travelling companion thought it was a bit noisy (from hallway noise), but I thought it was average. Some people were loud coming in around 2pm, and I did hear them (I wasn't wearing ear plugs).

The staff were super friendly, except for the reception clerk at first. I would describe her as cooly professional. But she warmed up quite quickly.

This hotel is situated at one end of the gaslamp district - again very convenient. We ate in the Gaslamp for dinner, when we came back, we noticed an illuminated tower on top of our hotel. We were excited to hear it's actually a lighthouse! The Bell captain was so amazing-friendly, knowledgeable, and accomodating. He took us up to the lighthouse for a quick look-see. It was the best unobstructed view of downtown, and he told us stories of the hotel's past. It really made our stay very unique and special. There's also a conference room in the basement inside the old vault! We went down for a look before we left. Apparently the night before they were hosting a murder mystery dinner - How fun! I want to do that next time!

All in all it was a great property, and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Swingbird
Swingbird, Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our unique building and convenient location. We love to share the history of our property and I am happy that our staff was able to provide such a unique and special stay. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I walked into the lobby, and wow! It's a beautiful lobby with architectural details, marble, chandeliers, and most of the details kept from the old bank that it used to be. The location, right in Old Town, makes it easy to walk to restaurants and look at the architecture. The staff was friendly, and check-in was easy. The hallways are wide with high ceilings and have the original mail chutes. The age of the building did not negatively affect its comfort. I felt the rooms were large, and plenty warm enough on a chilly night. The large old windows were not drafty and let in a lot of natural light. I liked that they gave us more than enough towels and pillows. The bar in the lobby was classy, and we appreciated the friendly bar tender.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bluemermaid25, thank you for such kind words. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our newly renovated, historic property comfortable. I am glad you were able to enjoy our convenient downtown location as well. We hope you choose to stay with us again on your next trip to San Diego.
PuertoRico
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed four nights and it was the best and beautiful experience in a Courtyard. The front desk staff always with a smile and a pleasant greeting. The best of the best was Ramon , since we ask for some attractions and other places we want to visit, he was always helping us. Ramon explained us about the history of the hotel. I think he is very special always with a smile. The rooms were very clean and modern everything was perfect. The location within walking distance to many good restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ashley R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
FournierSanJuan, Thank you so much for your great review. Ramon and the rest of our staff will be very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am very glad that we were able to provide you with a perfect experience. I will look forward to having you as our guest if you choose to stay with us on your next visit to San Diego.
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights. Great downtown location within a short walk of many restaurants, bars, theaters etc. Perfect for the weekend. Nicer than the typical courtyard. Good price. Parking is steep at $36 per day but I hear that's in the normal range for the area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Blibberblubber, Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your weekend stay and our convenient location. Being in the downtown we are near the Gaslamp District, but are only able to offer valet parking. I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to San Diego.
Central Valley, CA
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Located at the north end of the Gas Lamp District the hotel is ideally located for the District, Horton Plaza, and Petco Field. The reception staff and housekeeping were among the very best I have ever experienced. They were attentive and always had a pleasant greeting. The room was extremely quite in spite of overlooking a fairly busy street. The bed comfort was superb and plenty of towels and toiletries were provided. I was very pleased!! On a negative note, the food and beverage service was less than satisfactory. Happy Hour beverages seemed watered down and the service was slow. Service for breakfast was slow and inattentive. There was a long wait for poorly prepared and overpriced eggs. Coffee refills had to be requested during a 25 minute wait between food order and delivery. It just may have been a bad day for the food service staff, although they were hardly busy. The bottom line is I defiantly plan to stay at this Courtyard again because of the many positives experienced. There are an abundance of eating and drinking establishments in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Calflyer80, thank you for your kind words about our guest services and housekeeping staff. I am sorry to hear that you did not have an equally enjoyable restaurant experience. I will bring up these issues with our restaurant staff, as that is not the Marriott standard. I am glad to hear that the rest of your stay was pleasant and you hope to return. Please feel free to contact me or the supervisor if you need help with reservations at Ashley.reid@cymsandiego.com or Veronica.padilla@cymsandiego.com