“Very Friendly Staff”

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown
Ranked #12 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had a very pleasant stay here towards the end of June 2013. I was down in San Diego for a 4 day education training and did not want to commute every day from Orange County.

I paid the premium rate to have a water view room. The first night I was there, I was in a corner room (loved the light from the windows) but didn't have much view of the water (not that it's at the water's edge). When I got back from my training that first day, I asked if it wouldn't be too much trouble if I could get a room that I could actually see the water from. I was moved from the 8th to 12 floor and the view was awesome. I could even see into Petco Field from my bed.

The staff was great, always courteous.

The ONLY downside was the $36/day valet parking fee. If you don't need your car, I would suggest taking the train down.

Room Tip: Try for a 12th floor if you're getting a water view.
1  Thank Melinda B
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Mindy B,

Our staff strives to give top rated and friendly customer service on a daily basis and will love to get the feedback from this review. It is also great to hear your request for a higher view was met and you enjoyed the stay even more. Please keep our hotel in mind when you book lodging for San Diego in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just got back from a stay here and my only wish is that we had stayed longer.

San Diego is an amazing city. The gas lamp district is just great.
The hotel is in a perfect location with endless bars and restaurants within walking distance. Hotel is clean and staff are friendly.

Be sure to go downstairs and see the old vault doors. Great for novelty photo opportunity.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

mikebarr,

We are glad you took advantage of our location which is convenient for out of town visitors looking for a central location to many of the city's attractions while walking distance to 150+ restaurants and shops. We appreciate you liked the original historic bank safe deposit door and vault from 1928 now used as our meeting spaces. We do offer tours so if you find yourself in San Diego again we hope you stay with us and get some of the history told firsthand.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Downtown San Diego Courtyard. This hotel is unique because it's built inside an old bank. The lobby is ornate and the conference rooms are really fun. I enjoyed the service and the room was better than expected. It is also in walking distance of the Gas Lamp District. Couple all that with perfect San Diego weather and you have a winner.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Jerry P.,

We appreciate your kind regards to our historic property with newly renovated guest rooms, lobby and meeting spaces while still keeping the integrity of the original bank from 1928. Alongside our great service staff we definitely agree our location is a bonus being within the Gaslamp District with over 150+ restaurants and shops. We look forward to your return to our property when you are in San Diego again.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Here now-booked 2 rooms for a bachelorette partay. Rooms are pretty! Great location. The front desk TERRIBLE service. Attitudes. The service from the valet-GREAT(thanks Danny )! Watching TV or listening to the radio -they keep cutting out and says no signal lb the TV. Really annoying. Check in is at 3, so we arrived AT 3. We had 2 rooms neither were ready. We were told they would be ready in 30 min. So we waited in the lobby. Also requested conjoined rooms (online & confirmed 3 times over the phone). Surprise ... We didn't get it. We finally get in ONE room an hour later. So we all pile up and hang out. The next room isn't ready for about another hour. So we ask if we can get a late check out given the fact that we were given our rooms hours late. We got it @ 1. Gee thanks. And everyone one I talked to at the front desk was skipping rude! For that alone I (& the other 7 of us) don't want to ever come back here. No body likes being TALKED AT.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank nstreicker
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

nstreicker,

I apologize about your check in experience. We try to accommodate every guest request as promised but it seems we were at the mercy of a previous sellout night and a late checkout from the previous guest in the room blocked for you to keep you next to your companions. Defintely a fault on our end that we will discuss to prevent in the future amongst staff. You stated the review was made during this timeframe and not after the stay so I hope the remainder of your stay was recovered from our staff and we were able to compensate from your initial frustration. If so and you do return please reach out to Ashley Reid or Bashir Ramzy in order to make up from this check in experience.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was at the Courtyard Marriott this past week on business, and I must say that I was very satisfied with the hotel. I LOVE the building (used to be a bank) with the vault in the basement that has been repurposed to a meeting room. The room doors, the ceilings... it is just gorgeous and I am happy it is well preserved. The location is fantastic for exploring... close to balboa park, the airport and the main drag that runs down the cost. But in reality, the biggest win for this hotel is the staff. From the young man at the bar during happy hour, to the awesome folks at the help desk, and the room service guy that had to run up 7 floors using the stairs to deliver my food because the elevators were not working... everybody was exceptional. I always have issues with my phone charger, and servers from the restaurant and the front desk try to find a solution to my problem. It was a very nice experience, and would highly recommend this particular hotel.

karlushka,

We appreciate your business and the gratitude given from the quality of service you recieved from all departments of our staff. We definitely hope this means many bookings with us by you in the future to prove this same quality with each stay.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

beautiful hotel..enjoyed our stay very much but every time a young couple goes into a semi nice hotel you always weird looks. yes i can afford to stay in a nice hotel. Even the people working at the front desk gave us weird looks. I left an item in the hotel room and immediately called to let them know. The lady who answered the phone was just, well a pain to talk to. She either just didn't want to help or just didn't care. I told her the room number and all the information i could give, and all she could say was there is no name under that. Would I seriously lie about my name and my room number? I didn't just pull that number out of no where. After the first phone call, i called back to let them know exactly where I left and the lady said she will personally go up and check. Got a phone call back and said that my item was no where to be found. It is MY fault i left it there but i thought calling ASAP would help, especially when she told me house keeping didn't even clean that room yet. My item was quite pricey and wasn't too surprised they couldn't find it. It is what it is.
this is a very beautiful hotel and the area is beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

jayes123456,

Im glad you enjoyed your stay and thought the hotel was beautiful but would definitely want to follow up with your isolated matter. If you could call our property and ask to speak with Bashir Ramzy or Ashley Reid so that we can address the situation with your missing item and the way it was handled it would be greatly appreciated.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

First of all, this hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The building it is in is a landmark and rightly so. It was truly built by people who took pride in their craft. The hotel lobby is a beautiful and preserved well. The building was a local bank built in the 1920s and if you're a history buff, it's brimming with stuff to look at and read. If you're an architecture buff, the building was designed by one of San Diego's prominent architects of the era. 1920s America on full display. Also, don't forget to go to the basement to check out the meeting rooms. They are what became of the bank's original vault and safe deposit rooms complete with safe doors on display.
Throughout the building, enjoy the wide hallways, high ceilings and original doors to offices throughout the building. Your room was likely once an office for a pencil pusher at a bank but is now quaint and plush. Mine was small, but well appointed. Space is very tight at the foot of the bed and would have been much better served by a wall mounted TV and a different style of dresser, but I didn't mind. Space is tight downtown.
The only detail they forgot was the thermostat. Petty, I know, but it was motion activated on a 2 minute timer. Obviously an attempt to save on the cost to cool the old building, but at this level of establishment, comfort should take some priority since the windows are screwed shut. I found myself waking and waving at the wall to kick the A/C on and bring the room to a preferable temperature. When I called the front desk twice to fix it, the phone just rang. I'd stay here again, but hopefully they will give more than 2 minutes of climate control per motion :). From my conversations with other business people in our party, most the rooms are this way.

1  Thank bluestang65
BashirRamzy, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

bluestang65,

Your feedback is very appreciated. We are happy you experienced an overall positive stay and enjoyed the architecture and quality of our rooms. We do incorporate many environmental friendly practices as you will see on our Green Leaders tab on Tripadvisor. Although they do not operate on 2 minute timers, our units use a motion and temperature sensor to gauge when to shut off if the room is possibly not occupied. We hope you do return and if so just reach out at check in about the settings and we will definitely have a member of our engineering department work with you to get the settings closest to your preference.