“Like a boutique hotel owned by family. I will be back” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn San Diego Downtown

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #96 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Pearland, Texas
“Like a boutique hotel owned by family. I will be back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

I will address the bad stuff right away. Yes, I saw the train. I was not bothered by it. Slept like a baby. My two one bedroom studio suites were cute as a button. I was in the front of the hotel. Color Scheme is Navy Blue and yellow. The staff was exemplary. My slightest wish was at my door in minutes. They were friendly and more than ready to help at the front desk. The free breakfast was very good, certain to please almost anyone. Some sugar-free yogurt would be nice. Snacks and drinks in the evening hit the spot. I really loved sitting by the firepit. I did not think it was the best location, but gave me a much bigger bang for my buck than a better located hotel would have. The harbor is only a block away for an evening walk. Little Italy is a few blocks on India Street. I had a rental car, but the shuttle will take you anywhere in a 3 mile range if you want to go that route. The trolley is close by. Parking is pretty tight and there is a charge.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

Just got back from our stay here. My son and I were there for Comic Con. We had been placed on a wait list for a hotel that was nonsmoking and this was the only that had any space. The room was spacious and very clean. The accommodations were as represented in the website photos.

The staff was very nice and courteous and responded quickly to any of our requests. Unfortunately the hotel is close to the train route. I am a very light sleeper and have insomnia so it was near impossible for me to get any more than a few hours of sleep. The first few nights I heard the train at 6:19 am and then 20 minutes after that well in advance of when I really wanted to wake up. On Saturday night in addition to the 6:19 am noise from the train, I heard the train at around 1 am. So I can not in all honesty recommend this hotel to anyone who has any issues with noise for sleeping. Even my 11 year old son who is a very heavy sleeper woke up due to the noise.

I would not have booked with them had I known about the proximity to the trains. Another issue was the lack of wifi access to the internet. (Not a big deal and they did have instructions on how to connect). One recommendation would be to also include instructions for Apple systems (instructions only were for Windows). The only option was to use a ibahn cord located on the desk. The internet connection was not high speed at all. The average download speed at best was around 0.58 Mb/s for download and average 0.40Mb/s upload speed. Since I was there for Comic Con to take photos for the TV panels it was almost impossible to get the images uploaded in a quick manner. I really wanted to love the place but the noise just was too much for us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank beadrbop
Tinton Falls, New Jersey, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

So....do I have the first Comic-Con review?

Yes, I am here in San Diego for Comic-Con. I am one of hundreds that stayed in this sold-out Residence Inn during Comic-Con 2010. While most will be basing their reviews on a $200+ per night room I am basing mine on a $149 per night room as I got in right before rates were raised. Most of you reading this review will be booking this hotel at the streamlined rate.

I came into San Diego a day early and stayed one night at the Courtyard Marriot located across the harbor at the Airport/Liberty Station. It is a spectacular Marriot and you can read my review of it on TripAdvisor.

I was very concerned when upon my second night in the city I came to the Residence Inn. It doesn't look nearly as nice from the outside, and when I saw an Amtrack train running directly behind it, I thought I was going to be miserable for the rest of the week.

Looks can be deceiving.

This was my first time at a Residence Inn so I didn't know quite what to expect. When I opened my room door, my jaw dropped. Here was what amounts to a mini apartment. You have a kitchen with microwave and refrigerator, a living room and a bedroom that is separated by a wall in some rooms, and in some others is not. I was fortunate to get a bedroom with a wall separation. Bed was very, very comfortable. I slept soundly.

I have never been in a hotel room like this, and really, it's a wonderfully roomy little suite.

Where this hotel really exceeds is the little extras that you get. In the morning there is a free hot breakfast that is quite good. There's eggs, breakfast potatoes, french toast or pancakes, oatmeal, waffles, muffins, cereal and doughnuts. There's coffee and a soda machine that also has apple and orange juice. It really is a nice little spread.

On Mondays - Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm there's free food in the lobby. I only was there one night during at that time and they were serving up hamburgers, hotdogs, beans, potato salad and potato chips. It was pretty much as much as you wanted though I am sure the hotel would appreciate no-one making a pig of themselves. Oh, did I mention there was free beer on tap as well?

...and, yes, free high-speed Internet in the rooms!

The clerks as the front desk were always very friendly and helpful with our questions about the area. In fact, they were most helpful in holding a room for my colleagues and I as we got into town very early in the morning and were driving to LA. They blocked out three rooms for us and when we got back late that night those rooms were available to us.

There is a nicely sized pool on the premises and a fire pit that is lit at night to provide warmth to the couch chairs that surround it. Very nice touch.

Now here is the big question that all of you have on the forefront of your mind....

How bad is the train situation?

The answer is, very bad. There is an Amtrack train and Trolley that runs seemingly non-stop directly behind the hotel. The Amtrack is blowing its horn throughout the day. At night the train seems to blow shorter/quicker horns in an effort to be less annoying at those hours, but it still must run its horn to warn anyone at the crossing gate nearby. To be honest, it never woke me. Then again, my room was the other side of the hotel. But you know what? It doesn't matter where in the hotel you are, the train is right there. If you slept during the day I could see the noise being a problem because it's like Grand Central Station behind the hotel. At night, not as busy. The hotel does supply you with a set of earphones.

You can talk about how bad the train situation is at this hotel, but from all the reviews I read about the Hilton and the Marriott down by the Convention center, they both have the same train problems. In fact, it would be very hard to find a hotel close to the water that doesn't have train service nearby.

If anyone looking to save a few bucks and stay at this hotel during a convention such as Comic-Con, I have great news for you. The Trolley station is right around the corner. The walk is under 5 minutes and you simply take the blue line to Americana Place and then switch to the Orange line to the convention center. During big events like Comic-Con there is express train service that goes directly to the convention center without transfers.

So, all in all, I found this to be a wonderful hotel. I mean, you get free breakfast which is a real plus. Certainly, they don't have to put out free food in the evening...but they do. It's those little added touches that have already made up my mind that this will be the first place I look to book next year when I return to San Diego for Comic-Con 2011.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Sunnyvale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

The service is always excellent, employees are friendly and strive to meet our needs. The room feels like an apartment with very comfortable beds. Location is near the Harbor, Downtown and minutes from every San Diego attraction. Close to water sources and activities and several outstanding restaurants. At this Residence Inn, food is plentiful and fun! Imagine, on our first night being treated to a traditional delicious BBQ experience! Very clean and relaxing accomodations. A "Family" like atmosphere. Why would anyone staty anywhere else while visiting San Diego.

• Stayed July 2010
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

The family had a great time!!! We were able to go to Disneyland and the Los Angeles fashion district from this location. Disneyland was only 1 and 1/2 hours away. We returned to the calm and beautiful city of San Diego. This Residence Inn is close to all the other locations we visited; the Harbor Excursion tours, fishing trips, Midway Ship, Star of India, downtown stores, Old Town, the Zoo, Balboa Park, Museums, restaurants, missions, etc. They provide breakfast and it gives you a good start for the day. A light dinner is also provided. The staff was friendly and helpful. An excellent place to stay and looking forward to another visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Irvine, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

This hotel is an average Residence Inn in layout and amenities. Single suite rooms are a good size and the 2 bedroom suites are great for families - large and with a generously sized kitchen. The location by San Diego's cruise terminal, within a 15 minute walk of downtown and the Gaslamp Quarter and next to San Diego's Little Italy makes it a fine spot to explore San Diego's downtown core.

The property has one huge plus and one huge minus. It is literally right next to a set of train tracks that carries frequent passengar and freight trains as well as San Diego's light rail trolley system. The train noise is bearable if you are in the front of the property. But if you get stuck in the back, overlooking the tracks, expect lots of noise and 2 or 3 large trains in the middle of the night which pass through with horns blaring due to the numerous road intersections they have to cross in the neighborhood. The huge plus is the staff, they are friendly, helpful. professional and courteous. One of the best crews I have run into at a mid-price hotel chain.

I have used this property for both business and personal trips. All in all I reccomend it, but with the caveat that anyone contemplating staying here should know what the trade offs are with the train noise.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Terre Haute
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a business convention in May. I spotted a rather large cockroach in the ground floor room I was given overlooking the pool. The presence of maintenance men outside my window was a little un-nerving as well. However, the staff quickly transferred me to a room on the fourth floor where I had much better luck. I do agree with those who commented on the trains going by, however I only heard the train in the family area, not in the bedroom. Therefore I was able to sleep. I also noticed a set of earplugs on the night stand which I thought was a nice touch.
The continental breakfasts were acceptable, but I would have liked a bit more fresh fruit. It was a little more southwestern cuisine than I am used to. The happy hour meal was quite substantial as well, plus the rooms have a full kitchen which was nice for storing a few doggy bags.
The hotel staff was very helpful and directed my to a trolly tour a few blocks away. In addition to providing shuttle service to and from the airport, they will also take you to and from the San Diego Zoo or Balboa park at designated times. They even picked me up at a hotel near the convention center after an evening dinner meeting.
The location was close to the Marina district and little Italy. Other than that, there isn't alot around the area to see, but if you use the shuttle service you should be able to get so some of the major sites.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business