“Would stay again despite the train noise, standard Residence Inn”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #108 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed here two nights in a one bedroom suite. Rooms were the standard Residence inn style and comfort. As always they were clean and fine. Residence Inn is a perfect choice for families of 4 the pull out for the kids and bed for the adults is perfect.
Train noise was noticeable but didn't wake me or my wife (who is a lighter sleeper) nor my children (1 & 3) but I would suggest a room at the side of the property (tracks at the back) to minimize the noise.

Parking was hard to come by, which was a bit annoying since they charge $12 a day. Arrived late on first night and was told "there might not be a spot if not park in the handicap spot”, which we didn't have to do as there was one spot open. Would Marriot ensure I didn’t get a ticket? Unsure.

Breakfast was a bit light and picked over if you didn’t get there early. Some Residence Inn’s restock until the end of advertised hours this one appears not to.

Good spot for Sea World (10-15 min.) and Balboa park for a half marathon my wife ran.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 23, 2009

I really had an enjoyable stay at this hotel despite the noise. The staff is very nice. We had a two bedroom suite and it felt like an apartment instead of a hotel...very comfortable. The breakfasts were much nicer than you usually find. The problem is that there are two trains that run behind the hotel that are annoying until you get use to them. Also, the suite above us was occupied by a family with pre-teen children who liked to run and jump causing quiet a bit of noise in our unit. I would recommend that hotels put families with children of that age on the first floor. Ahh well, at least they were thoughtful enough to provide earplugs on the bedside table.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We booked the Residence Inn Downtown for a few reasons:
1. Two bedroom suites
2. We are Marriott reward members
3. Location (according to the website and reviews)
4. Free shuttle service within a 3 mile radius
5. Free hot breakfast
6. Free high speed Internet
7. Heated outdoor pool

Arrival:
The purpose of our trip was primarily because my husband was attending a conference at the convention center but we decided to bring a long our two children, ages 13 and 3, along with my mother so that we could make a family vacation out of it. The hotel shuttle service picked us up within 30 minutes of us calling them from the airport. We arrived at the hotel (which is only about a 3 minute drive from the airport). The shuttle man put our bags on the bell cart and walked us into the lobby. The front desk person was very friendly and welcoming. Although it is not a fancy four star hotel the outside is very pretty and well kept up as was the somewhat small lobby area. We went up to our room on the third floor at the back of the hotel. The hotel is shaped like a square but with the middle cut out. The courtyard holds the heated pool, a fairly large hot tub, as well as a comfortable sitting area with a gas fire pit table. They also have two gas grills for the guests to use.

Room:
Back to the room: it was very clean, nicely decorated, and surprisingly spacious. The kitchen had a full size fridge/freezer, stove top, microwave, coffee pot, dishwasher, along with all the utensils. They also give you coffee, tea, flavored creamers, and my kids favorite POPCORN. The living area had a couch and an armchair along with a console and tv. There is also a sliding glass door that opens up to a balcony which is very small. I guess for those guests who smoke. The bedrooms are on opposite sides of the living area. One bedroom is slighty bigger than the next and it has a desk which the other one does not. Each bedroom has a queen size bed which is firm but comfortable. Each bedroom also has a sliding glass closet and drawers to put your clothes in. Each bedroom also has its own bathroom which is simple but clean. The one thing that I was worried about was the reviewers who said the trains run behind the hotel and they are loud. The ear plugs on the nightstand made me think the worst and the Amtrack line is RIGHT behind the hotel and so is the trolly line but maybe it was the fact I was so exhausted but they didn't bother me one bit. The trains stop around 11 and start back up around 7 I think but I couldn't tell you for sure because it was not a problem for any of us and we were right at the back of the hotel. If you were staying in the front or even the interior part of the hotel you probably wouldn't hear them. Our room was cleaned everyday perfectly and even when we forgot to take of the "later please" sign, they still cleaned it. On our last full day, we even got a handwritten thank you note along with some Hershey Kisses.

Breakfast/Social evenings:
Breakfast was good especially for free! We had breakfast burritos one morning and buscuits and gravy another. They also had pancakes, french toast, sausage, cereals, waffles, yogurt and granola, mixed pastries, ect.. During the week they have complimentary social evenings. Wednesdays we hear they have great BBQ. We were sad we missed it. During social evenings they serve different things different nights and the also have Firehouse beer on tap along with wine and fountain sodas. We got to enjoy it one night and we had a great time hanging out in the hot tub drinking beer!

Shuttle:
The shuttle takes you to San Diego Zoo but it leaves at 10:00 and picks up at 4:00 so make sure you make prior arrangements with them in case there are a lot of people. We found out that picking us up at 4:00 was not going to happen because the ZOO is so big we didn't make it out of there until it closed at 6:30 and we couldn't find a taxi or a shuttle service back to the hotel. We were essentially stranded but we called the hotel and they sent the shuttle for us and we ended up giving the driver a big tip. Why didn't we rent a car? Parking downtown is not only hard to find it is expensive. In fact it is expensive everywhere! My TIP to you is: TIP the shuttle driver. He will be more willing to go out of his way to assist you.

Okay here is my only con:
It is a LONG walk to the convention center which is right across the street from the Gaslamp quarter and a long walk to Horton Plaza. You could take the shuttle but for my husband it was a hassle getting to his conference. He said he would have rather stayed much closer to the "main" part of downtown. Other than that and the rate we got, I can't say anything bad about this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank keely92
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Compared to other Residence, room were very small and I had a Jr Suite (two rooms). Rooms seem to be crammed with furniture. Their staff was excellent and very helpful. The first few days the train was a nouisance but after the third day I got used to it. Not enough parking available and $12 per day.... Recommended for business travel only.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Residence Inns always seem to be our top pick for destinations because of their amenities and value. This location was no different. We were within walking distance to the waterfront and train station. We had a room on the top floor, facing the waterfront. The view of the waterfront was its best at night. We had read previous reviews of this location and were concerned about "train noise" as reported from other advisors. While we did hear some noise from our room - it was never enough to be "bothersome". In fact, when we stay in a different city - we welcome the neighboring noises that make each location unique. (I have to point out, however, we would have been disappointed to hear sirens or heavy street traffic. This was NEVER an issue at this location. When I say "never" - there was not one siren heard while we were in our room. Can you say that about other "downtown" location of any city hotels?)

Breakfast (included), was plentiful and varied for each of the 4 mornings we were here. (They could stand to expand the seating area a little though. But, having said that - we were here in Feb and the temps were a little chilly in the a.m. - so morning breakfasts normally seated alfresco were a no go).

Even with the chilly evenings, the heated pool was a welcome treat for our 6 year old who has never met a pool she hasn't liked.

Tops on our list, for this location, was the shuttle service. With a little planning (calling ahead to make sure the bus was not previously occupied), we were able to get to Seaport Village, rental car offsite location, ferry marina, and airport without paying taxi fees. (Plus, the conversation from the drivers was always much more pleasant than that of the typical "cabbie").

Our room was perfectly appointed with updated furniture and decorations. Bath areas and sink area were always spotless. (Our housekeeper even left us a little treat for Valentines Day). We like to bring home with us when we travel so that our well-traveled daughter acclimates comfortably and we were pleased when her "things" were left exactly as she left them at the beginning of each day. (Yes, some hotels like to move your things where they think they should be and it always seems a little unsettling. It's little things like this that impress us).

This location had a little courtyard surrounding the pool with lounge chairs and a fire pit. It was nice to see people gathering, in the evenings, to socialize in this area - even though it was a more adult age level than we thought appropriate for our daughter.

All in all - a very nice experience in a very nice location in a very nice city. Kudos.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MORRELL_FAMILY
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Arriving the night before our seven-day Mexican cruise aboard the m/s Oosterdam (Holland America Line), we opted to spend that night at the Downtown San Diego Residence Inn.

In contrast to some recent disappointments at other hotels, our stay at the Downtown San Diego Residence Inn was entirely pleasant. Our room was clean. The front desk clerk, Michael, was friendly, as was the breakfast staff—who earned a well-deserved tip for the kindness they displayed to my two young daughters.

This hotel’s on-site shuttle and free high-speed internet access (“HISA”) were especially helpful. The shuttle picked me up from our car rental location and also transported my family (and our six pieces of luggage and our child’s stroller) to the cruise ship terminal. Free HISA allowed me to get some last-minute work finished before our cruise ship sailed away.

Our only concern arises from the hotel’s location—it’s near both the waterfront traffic and San Diego train station. The train horns start sounding around 7 am, as does the traffic noise level. Rooms facing the bay will be less affected by the train horns.

Despite these (incurable) problems we liked the place and would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Tax_Counsel
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I booked this hotel based on reading the reviews here. I knew about the train and was prepared to deal with a few passings. I guess seeing the ear plugs on the bedside table set me up to expect the worse. I remember reading that the trains stopped in the night. I didn't think that. I remember hearing trains passing as late as 11pm.

My husband, my 5 year old and I rented a studio suite and were for the most part happy with the set up. The color scheme was fresh looking and we had an ocean view opposite of the train tracks. The best part was that we arrived early and called the hotel and they let us check in early. This was even during the labor day weekend. Upon entering the room my husband was really impressed ( i think it was the blue and yellow color scheme). I liked the set up of the kitchenette along with the pull out sofa, desk and chair. There was also a double door that lead to a "balcony". I use that word loosely because I would not feel safe standing out there on the iron railing. But having the door open with the ocean breeze blowing in was a long forgotten fairytale.

Now the problems....I couldn't get the feeling that I was in a really olddd place with a new paint job out of my mine. I felt as if the room was screaming at me to please like it. I could see chips and cracks and bad patches peeking throught the vibrant blue and yellow paint. The bathroom was sanitary but the walls seemed slightly discolored. The pull out sofa seemed dingy to me and left me wandering who sat there the night before. So much that I really didn't want to sit on it. After pulling it out and putting on fresh clean sheets that thought left my mind. The kitchen and dishes were clean and I would've had no problem using them.

Sleeping at night was pretty bad for me. The bed was way too hard for my comfort which is probably why i was so sensitive to the train at 11pm. I asked my husband about it and he said he liked the bed.
'Upon waking,we had breakfast which was pretty hotel standard (and great) and then we walked the boardwalk and really enjoyed our time including the USS Midway. While walking the boardwalk I was contemplating what ifs....what if we stayed at a different hotel downtown? We'd still have the same problem with the trains and the airplanes so it was not the Marriotts fault. The downtown place is a great place to stay for night owls and partyers. There were people hanging out on balconys on other hotels as well that night.

I could not bare the thought of spending another night at that location so we checked out and stayed at a different hotel further inland. I stayed at a Homewood Suites 2 weeks prior and have decided that this will be my hotel of choice at this point.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MAXIALE