Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Fairmont.com
$255
$223
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$157
$126
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$289
$260
$151
  • Breakfast included
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$187
$178
  • Beachfront
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$323
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$219
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewsfree shuttlegreat locationshuttle servicebedroom suiteclose to the airportfree breakfastamtrak stationfire pitwalking distanceseaport villagehotel shuttleconvention centerfront desk staffgas lamplight railcouple blocksfresh fruit
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Compared to other Residence, room were very small and I had a Jr Suite (two rooms). Rooms seem to be crammed with furniture. Their staff was excellent and very helpful. The first few days the train was a nouisance but after the third day I got used to it. Not enough parking available and $12 per day.... Recommended for business travel only.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Residence Inns always seem to be our top pick for destinations because of their amenities and value. This location was no different. We were within walking distance to the waterfront and train station. We had a room on the top floor, facing the waterfront. The view of the waterfront was its best at night. We had read previous reviews of this location and were concerned about "train noise" as reported from other advisors. While we did hear some noise from our room - it was never enough to be "bothersome". In fact, when we stay in a different city - we welcome the neighboring noises that make each location unique. (I have to point out, however, we would have been disappointed to hear sirens or heavy street traffic. This was NEVER an issue at this location. When I say "never" - there was not one siren heard while we were in our room. Can you say that about other "downtown" location of any city hotels?)

Breakfast (included), was plentiful and varied for each of the 4 mornings we were here. (They could stand to expand the seating area a little though. But, having said that - we were here in Feb and the temps were a little chilly in the a.m. - so morning breakfasts normally seated alfresco were a no go).

Even with the chilly evenings, the heated pool was a welcome treat for our 6 year old who has never met a pool she hasn't liked.

Tops on our list, for this location, was the shuttle service. With a little planning (calling ahead to make sure the bus was not previously occupied), we were able to get to Seaport Village, rental car offsite location, ferry marina, and airport without paying taxi fees. (Plus, the conversation from the drivers was always much more pleasant than that of the typical "cabbie").

Our room was perfectly appointed with updated furniture and decorations. Bath areas and sink area were always spotless. (Our housekeeper even left us a little treat for Valentines Day). We like to bring home with us when we travel so that our well-traveled daughter acclimates comfortably and we were pleased when her "things" were left exactly as she left them at the beginning of each day. (Yes, some hotels like to move your things where they think they should be and it always seems a little unsettling. It's little things like this that impress us).

This location had a little courtyard surrounding the pool with lounge chairs and a fire pit. It was nice to see people gathering, in the evenings, to socialize in this area - even though it was a more adult age level than we thought appropriate for our daughter.

All in all - a very nice experience in a very nice location in a very nice city. Kudos.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MORRELL_FAMILY
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Arriving the night before our seven-day Mexican cruise aboard the m/s Oosterdam (Holland America Line), we opted to spend that night at the Downtown San Diego Residence Inn.

In contrast to some recent disappointments at other hotels, our stay at the Downtown San Diego Residence Inn was entirely pleasant. Our room was clean. The front desk clerk, Michael, was friendly, as was the breakfast staff—who earned a well-deserved tip for the kindness they displayed to my two young daughters.

This hotel’s on-site shuttle and free high-speed internet access (“HISA”) were especially helpful. The shuttle picked me up from our car rental location and also transported my family (and our six pieces of luggage and our child’s stroller) to the cruise ship terminal. Free HISA allowed me to get some last-minute work finished before our cruise ship sailed away.

Our only concern arises from the hotel’s location—it’s near both the waterfront traffic and San Diego train station. The train horns start sounding around 7 am, as does the traffic noise level. Rooms facing the bay will be less affected by the train horns.

Despite these (incurable) problems we liked the place and would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Tax_Counsel
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I booked this hotel based on reading the reviews here. I knew about the train and was prepared to deal with a few passings. I guess seeing the ear plugs on the bedside table set me up to expect the worse. I remember reading that the trains stopped in the night. I didn't think that. I remember hearing trains passing as late as 11pm.

My husband, my 5 year old and I rented a studio suite and were for the most part happy with the set up. The color scheme was fresh looking and we had an ocean view opposite of the train tracks. The best part was that we arrived early and called the hotel and they let us check in early. This was even during the labor day weekend. Upon entering the room my husband was really impressed ( i think it was the blue and yellow color scheme). I liked the set up of the kitchenette along with the pull out sofa, desk and chair. There was also a double door that lead to a "balcony". I use that word loosely because I would not feel safe standing out there on the iron railing. But having the door open with the ocean breeze blowing in was a long forgotten fairytale.

Now the problems....I couldn't get the feeling that I was in a really olddd place with a new paint job out of my mine. I felt as if the room was screaming at me to please like it. I could see chips and cracks and bad patches peeking throught the vibrant blue and yellow paint. The bathroom was sanitary but the walls seemed slightly discolored. The pull out sofa seemed dingy to me and left me wandering who sat there the night before. So much that I really didn't want to sit on it. After pulling it out and putting on fresh clean sheets that thought left my mind. The kitchen and dishes were clean and I would've had no problem using them.

Sleeping at night was pretty bad for me. The bed was way too hard for my comfort which is probably why i was so sensitive to the train at 11pm. I asked my husband about it and he said he liked the bed.
'Upon waking,we had breakfast which was pretty hotel standard (and great) and then we walked the boardwalk and really enjoyed our time including the USS Midway. While walking the boardwalk I was contemplating what ifs....what if we stayed at a different hotel downtown? We'd still have the same problem with the trains and the airplanes so it was not the Marriotts fault. The downtown place is a great place to stay for night owls and partyers. There were people hanging out on balconys on other hotels as well that night.

I could not bare the thought of spending another night at that location so we checked out and stayed at a different hotel further inland. I stayed at a Homewood Suites 2 weeks prior and have decided that this will be my hotel of choice at this point.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MAXIALE
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed at the Residence Inn on Pacific Highway (downtown) for several days. The location is great and very close to many San Diego attractions. The hotel has a free drop off and pick up at any attraction within (1-3 miles, I think) the area. The rooms are spacious and very nice if you are traveling with teens, who can sleep in the living room and watch their own TV. The free breakfast is excellent. There are eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, oatmeal, waffles, potatoes, bagels and a number of other items. What really sets this hotel apart from others, though, is the fantastic customer service. I was looking for a Vera Bradley store to buy something specific for my daughter. The customer service girl (and I'm so sorry I can't remember her name) was so helpful, above and beyond what was required. She looked up stores in the phone book that she thought might carry what I was looking for and even called some to check for me. She also printed off a map for me. I can't say enough about how pleased we were with our stay there.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jan_S