“Nice enough, despite the trains”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Ranked #105 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Orange, California
“Nice enough, despite the trains”
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Arriving the night before our seven-day Mexican cruise aboard the m/s Oosterdam (Holland America Line), we opted to spend that night at the Downtown San Diego Residence Inn.

In contrast to some recent disappointments at other hotels, our stay at the Downtown San Diego Residence Inn was entirely pleasant. Our room was clean. The front desk clerk, Michael, was friendly, as was the breakfast staff—who earned a well-deserved tip for the kindness they displayed to my two young daughters.

This hotel’s on-site shuttle and free high-speed internet access (“HISA”) were especially helpful. The shuttle picked me up from our car rental location and also transported my family (and our six pieces of luggage and our child’s stroller) to the cruise ship terminal. Free HISA allowed me to get some last-minute work finished before our cruise ship sailed away.

Our only concern arises from the hotel’s location—it’s near both the waterfront traffic and San Diego train station. The train horns start sounding around 7 am, as does the traffic noise level. Rooms facing the bay will be less affected by the train horns.

Despite these (incurable) problems we liked the place and would probably stay there again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Tax_Counsel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
LAS VEGAS
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I booked this hotel based on reading the reviews here. I knew about the train and was prepared to deal with a few passings. I guess seeing the ear plugs on the bedside table set me up to expect the worse. I remember reading that the trains stopped in the night. I didn't think that. I remember hearing trains passing as late as 11pm.

My husband, my 5 year old and I rented a studio suite and were for the most part happy with the set up. The color scheme was fresh looking and we had an ocean view opposite of the train tracks. The best part was that we arrived early and called the hotel and they let us check in early. This was even during the labor day weekend. Upon entering the room my husband was really impressed ( i think it was the blue and yellow color scheme). I liked the set up of the kitchenette along with the pull out sofa, desk and chair. There was also a double door that lead to a "balcony". I use that word loosely because I would not feel safe standing out there on the iron railing. But having the door open with the ocean breeze blowing in was a long forgotten fairytale.

Now the problems....I couldn't get the feeling that I was in a really olddd place with a new paint job out of my mine. I felt as if the room was screaming at me to please like it. I could see chips and cracks and bad patches peeking throught the vibrant blue and yellow paint. The bathroom was sanitary but the walls seemed slightly discolored. The pull out sofa seemed dingy to me and left me wandering who sat there the night before. So much that I really didn't want to sit on it. After pulling it out and putting on fresh clean sheets that thought left my mind. The kitchen and dishes were clean and I would've had no problem using them.

Sleeping at night was pretty bad for me. The bed was way too hard for my comfort which is probably why i was so sensitive to the train at 11pm. I asked my husband about it and he said he liked the bed.
'Upon waking,we had breakfast which was pretty hotel standard (and great) and then we walked the boardwalk and really enjoyed our time including the USS Midway. While walking the boardwalk I was contemplating what ifs....what if we stayed at a different hotel downtown? We'd still have the same problem with the trains and the airplanes so it was not the Marriotts fault. The downtown place is a great place to stay for night owls and partyers. There were people hanging out on balconys on other hotels as well that night.

I could not bare the thought of spending another night at that location so we checked out and stayed at a different hotel further inland. I stayed at a Homewood Suites 2 weeks prior and have decided that this will be my hotel of choice at this point.

• Liked — PROMPT SERVICE
  • Disliked — DECEPTIVE ROOM QUALITY
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MAXIALE
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed at the Residence Inn on Pacific Highway (downtown) for several days. The location is great and very close to many San Diego attractions. The hotel has a free drop off and pick up at any attraction within (1-3 miles, I think) the area. The rooms are spacious and very nice if you are traveling with teens, who can sleep in the living room and watch their own TV. The free breakfast is excellent. There are eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, oatmeal, waffles, potatoes, bagels and a number of other items. What really sets this hotel apart from others, though, is the fantastic customer service. I was looking for a Vera Bradley store to buy something specific for my daughter. The customer service girl (and I'm so sorry I can't remember her name) was so helpful, above and beyond what was required. She looked up stores in the phone book that she thought might carry what I was looking for and even called some to check for me. She also printed off a map for me. I can't say enough about how pleased we were with our stay there.

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Jan_S
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed July 15, 2008

This is a true jewel! I stayed here for 2 nights and it was wonderful. I stayed in a two bed, two bath full kitchen unit. It felt like I was at home. My two boys loved it too. All rooms have a TV and so does the living room. There is complimentary breakfast and a snack in the afternoon. All staff are friendly, and check-in is super fast. The rooms are meticulously clean. I will stay here again next summer. I definately recommend this hotel!

• Liked — The beautiful clean spacious units
  • Disliked — nightly parking charge
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Montreal Quebec
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the Residence Inn, Marriott Downtown, after a beautiful cruise. We did not know this hotel, nor saw any reviews from hotel or on web sites - therefore as we have stayed at Residence Inn's by Marriott before and enjoyed the stay, we assumed it would be a nice hotel in a good location, no need for a car. We had never been to San Diego downtown and did not know about the big train station that seemed to service a lot of trains - Amtrak, commuter, tourist trolley and cargo trains - at all times, night and day. The ear plugs left beside the bed didn't really give us a clue - it was a while later and during the night - the train whistles and whatever - it was so loud and the windows were closed! We were supposedly in a quiet section of the hotel and it was right beside the train tracks! The 3:55 AM noise of whistles and rattling of box cars that got the best of me. Although I eventually did laugh, for the price of the room - we would not have stayed in such a noisy hotel. Everything about the hotel was really nice EXCEPT the noisy trains, trains, trains.

• Liked — Location to water front, cruise terminal
  • Disliked — Much too close to the train station - very noisy trains
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lindacote
St Andrews Scotland
Reviewed October 10, 2007

We stayed here for 2 weeks on vacation from Scotland at the end of September and were made very welcome. We had a 1 bed apt which was very clean, well maintained with furnishings showing no wear or tear.It had everything you could possibly need in the mini kitchen to make an evening meal if you wished. Monday to Thursday the hotel provides a complimentary light meal arround the pool area between 5 and 7. This changed nightly and included hamburgers with salads--or pasta --tacos---baked potatoes all served by an extremely aimiable bunch of staff. Free wine, beer and sodas and the chance to mingle with other guests made it something to look forward to. The breakfasts too were very good--self service for quickness as many of the guests during the week are on business. Good self service laundry. Just one downside--The hotel backs on to the railway track--it is prettywell in the centre of town--so there is some earymorning noise from the trains. The Coaster and the Amtrack start blowing their horns from about 5.30 so bring earplugs if you think it will annoy you, and request a room away from the track when booking. All the other guests I spoke to were happy with the hotel, it had a very homely feel about it and the staff were excellent.

• Liked — freshly decorated , clean pool and deck
  • Disliked — noise from railtrack
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boysie
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My wife and I were traveling to Chula Vista for a dog show and had more than one dog with us, as well as two teenagers (my son and my daughter). We needed to stay at a hotel which accepts pets and was close to Chula Vista - without being in Tijuana. Through the hotel's website, I booked a two bedroom suite (one room for the adults, one for the daughter, and one for the son with dogs in one room). I could've done two rooms next to each other but the teenagers don't want to share a room, much less a bed.

After a late arrival - we got started driving late - I was greeted by "we were overbooked and sold out of two bedroom suites." This meant the boys took one room and the girls another, not a totally acceptable choice but on a Friday night in the San Diego area with pets you've either booked ahead or you sleep on the beach..

The rooms are actually quite clean and well appointed, with each having a dining area, full (ish) kitchen, and a queen size bed and pullout couch. Be warned, however! They provide ear plugs for a reason. You cannot get closer to the railroad tracks without getting run over, and it's not just city trains or cross-country trains, it's both. There's only so much you can do to block out every-few-minuts train noise and horns.

The next day, we were moved to the suite (not the most convenient activity but better than the arrangement we had). The suite was equally clean with the same decor. There were two queen beds and a pullout in the common room, which was again outfitted with full kitchen.

Earplugs had to be retrieved this time from the front desk - facing away from the trains and towards the bay did not help much. The bathrooms were decent sized but the vanity in one room was large enough for two sinks (though it contained only one) and the other vanity was barely wide enough for one person (though the room had more closet space). Showers were effective and shower heads were high enough (I'm 6'1" and they usually clean my chest but not my head without ducking down). Towels were smallish but still a little soft.

The complimentary breakfast buffet was not the usual carbo-only feast, featuring not only the usual doughnut/bagel/bread/ceral choices (add pancakes to the carb side of the equation) but also had sausage patties and eggs. These were, unfortunately, almost inedible. The sausage was peppery, a little greasy, and (odd for ground meat) tough. The eggs were so over cooked it was like eating rubbery rice. I didn't try the coffee (Starbuck's was right around the corner). The toaster was a commercial run-through which is convenient, but was set to a speed that gave only a slight warming once through. There was a couple kinds of yogurt and some fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges) as well.

I would stay here again, though the prices were a little high, because it's close to SeaWorld and to our dog show, but I'd make it perfectly clear on the phone with them that I have specific reasons for booking the suite, not just because I want a big room, and that if their reservation center is going to overbook I would be very appreciative of them not giving away my room. The staff were mostly professional and took my tired-from-driving abuse without taking it personally.

• Liked — Clean, well appointed rooms and proximity to SeaWorld
  • Disliked — Trains, trains, trains, trains, trains, overbooking, trains, trains, trains ...
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business