“Fantastic Staff, Comfortable Rooms”

Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East
Ranked #224 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Sussex, England/
“Fantastic Staff, Comfortable Rooms”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

The staff here were so welcoming. It was the little touches such as the big smiles from everyone when we entered the lobby to check in, to the phone call 15 mins after to our room to ensure everything was ok.

The rooms were big, clean and comfortable. Unfortately I was struck down with food poisoning (not from the hotel!!) and so I was confined to my room. This was frustrating, but made more comfortable because I was in a nice room and could relax.

Very easy access to Gaslamp etc including a tram, and I am assured the breakfast was great!

This hotel is lovely and great value for money!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Thank you sharing your stay with us. Our staff and I appreciate you taking the time to write your feedback on this site. Hope the food poison wasn't anything serious.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Arizona
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Went to San Diego for the annual DBack - Padre Game. As usual we stayed at the Ramada. I been staying there since it was the Super 8. Since Ramada took over, it has improved. Better room overall. Location is the best for me. Grantville Station is nearby so I don't have to drive anymore.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all comments/feedbacks given to us. During the Padre and Charger game our guest can take advantage of the free parking we offer and ride the trolley to either one of the stadiums for only $5.00 round trip. This is better than looking for parking in chaotic downtown and paying $20 for parking at the structure or fighting for a spot at the Qualcomm Stadium.
OC
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I recently visited the Ramada Inn, Mission Valley, San Diego with a group of friends. We were there to visit another friend and I have never stayed at a Ramanda. With my friend's suggestion we decided to stay there. To my surprise the hotel was clean, well kept and I had a plesant stay. We enjoyed a nice complimentary breakfast. The area was kept clean and the food was fresh.

Furthermore, the staff was friendly and fun. I felt like the staff greeted us and opened doors for us not because it was their job but because they wanted to. I had a great weekend and it was topped off by staying at a nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful review. We strive to be a clean, friendly and professional hotel. We have series of training we offer to our staff from housekeeping to front desk to help ensure our guest experience a great stay. This hotel is in a great location, close to down town, beaches and other attractions where a family or a group of friends can stay without driving far.
San Diego
Reviewed March 20, 2009

This hotel did not get good reviews when it was a Super 8, but with the recent switch to Ramada, and obvious improvements, it was a great location for us. We live in San Diego and needed extra space for holiday guests.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
Thank you for the comment. After the conversion to Ramada, we certainly have received a lot of positive feedback from our guests. We are very excited about the new brand change and the staff is working very hard to give great customer service.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2009

First of all, you need to know that this property has changed hands. The previous reviews were written when this property was a ‘Super 8’ – Now it is a Ramada. Apparently the new owner has decided to invest in the property – and it shows. I stayed there for several days and I noticed that the whole exterior has been repainted, the pool area and the breakfast area look renovated. They told me there are new beds and bathrooms as well. While I was there, there were paving crews doing some minor asphalt repairs to what looked like a redone parking lot. The staff was helpful and friendly.

I would say they are aiming for 2.5 star status…

The complementary breakfast had small cheese omelets occasionally in addition to the regular toast, make-your-own waffles, cereal and yogurt.

Heading others’ advice, I requested to stay on the top (3rd) floor and found it very quiet. My room had a decent-sized fridge and microwave. They have a mini-mart in the lobby that sells some frozen dinners, drinks, snacks, etc.

Free Wi-Fi is available – it is very hit or miss though. I couldn’t get reception in my room, but it seemed to work very well by the pool. There is also a PC in the lobby area for guests to use… it is using the same wireless network though.. so it can be hit or miss as well.

Cons – the comments made about the location still apply of course. There is lots of highway noise if you are facing the highway, and the view from the rear of the building isn’t picture postcard material. I found being close to the highway on/off ramp a bonus though. The only windows in each unit face the corridor, so if you leave the curtains open, everyone walking by can see in. Also, there is a surprise $1 per day additional charge at check-in for the room safe that is not included in your quoted price.

Area: There is a Starbucks very close to the Ramada for your morning coffee (I don’t recommend the coffee they offer at breakfast). There are lots of restaurants on Mission Gorge Road as well as a Vons grocery store. A 5 minute drive down Mission Gorge Road takes you to Mission Trails park – a large city park that makes you think you are in the mountains.. worth checking out.

Conclusion: For a clean, decent 2/2.5 * room at a great price (I got mine through Expedia) at a hotel with good staff that is obviously is trying hard, I say go for the Ramada Qualcomm.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank Valdiri
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Yes, we have done major work to this property and gland that our guest can see the changes we have made. The free wireless internet is now up and running with full strength. We changed our internet provider in May and also added wired access in a few rooms. There is no view from guest rooms, but for most people that is not a problem since they are never indoors visiting San Diego.
los angeles
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My family and I decided to spend a few days down in San Diego. Most of the hotels in the center of town were already booked. I have never stayed at a Super 8 before, and my opinion of the brand hadn't been too great. However, having no choice, we decided to go ahead and rent a room.
We were pleasantly surprised. For a Super 8, this hotel surpassed our expectations. The room was clean and comfortable. The front desk agent was very nice; We didn't have our next day planned and didn't know where to go. He gave us several ideas on what to do, and gave us maps of the area. The next day we couldn't fit everything into the same day! I guess that's good, now we have a reason to go back to San Diego. We will stay at this same hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Guest service, clean rooms
  • Disliked — that we checked out!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank steve1616
SanDiegoManager, Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, October 16, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to add a comment. We do our best to train our staff in customer service and importance of cleanliness, so our guests have a wonderful experience during their visits.
San Diego
Reviewed April 17, 2008

My friend and I stayed her 4/11/2008 for a Christian women's conference at nearby Cox Arena. We stayed here because most Hotels were booked and this was in walking distance of the trolley station which would easily shuttle us to SDSU without having to be in I8 rush hour traffic and deal with parking structure. The selection of danish, muffins, fruit at lobby was good. HOWEVER: My friend noticed hair in her bed, (We thought might be the maid's hair)
but upon further investigation, sheets were indeed dirty with yellow stains, etc. I wanted to go to the front desk and get my friend clean sheets (My bed was fine) but she wouldn't let me make an issue of it. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it may have been a stayover in which the beds were made but not changed and then only one bed was unmade when the last people checked out and only the one bed may have gotten cleaned by the maid on the day of checkout. Or they could have been stained (Bleach them then Super 8) However...I will NEVER stay in this motel again because that totally grosses ME out. If it was MY bed I definately would have walked down 3 flights of stairs for clean sheets! I did mention it to the front desk in the morning.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty Bed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank SanDiegoMom_2_6
We are extremely sorry you did not have a pleasant stay at our location. Having dirty sheets is not acceptable. Since, we have converted over to Ramada our brand standards have gone up. The staff has recently been re-trained on cleaning guest rooms so every house keeper is on the same page. The head housekeeper inspects each and every guest room to insure it’s perfect for the next guest.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels