“Improvements make this hotel a good deal...”

Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East
Ranked #231 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“Improvements make this hotel a good deal...”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

This hotel did not get good reviews when it was a Super 8, but with the recent switch to Ramada, and obvious improvements, it was a great location for us. We live in San Diego and needed extra space for holiday guests.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, March 25, 2009
Thank you for the comment. After the conversion to Ramada, we certainly have received a lot of positive feedback from our guests. We are very excited about the new brand change and the staff is working very hard to give great customer service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2009

First of all, you need to know that this property has changed hands. The previous reviews were written when this property was a ‘Super 8’ – Now it is a Ramada. Apparently the new owner has decided to invest in the property – and it shows. I stayed there for several days and I noticed that the whole exterior has been repainted, the pool area and the breakfast area look renovated. They told me there are new beds and bathrooms as well. While I was there, there were paving crews doing some minor asphalt repairs to what looked like a redone parking lot. The staff was helpful and friendly.

I would say they are aiming for 2.5 star status…

The complementary breakfast had small cheese omelets occasionally in addition to the regular toast, make-your-own waffles, cereal and yogurt.

Heading others’ advice, I requested to stay on the top (3rd) floor and found it very quiet. My room had a decent-sized fridge and microwave. They have a mini-mart in the lobby that sells some frozen dinners, drinks, snacks, etc.

Free Wi-Fi is available – it is very hit or miss though. I couldn’t get reception in my room, but it seemed to work very well by the pool. There is also a PC in the lobby area for guests to use… it is using the same wireless network though.. so it can be hit or miss as well.

Cons – the comments made about the location still apply of course. There is lots of highway noise if you are facing the highway, and the view from the rear of the building isn’t picture postcard material. I found being close to the highway on/off ramp a bonus though. The only windows in each unit face the corridor, so if you leave the curtains open, everyone walking by can see in. Also, there is a surprise $1 per day additional charge at check-in for the room safe that is not included in your quoted price.

Area: There is a Starbucks very close to the Ramada for your morning coffee (I don’t recommend the coffee they offer at breakfast). There are lots of restaurants on Mission Gorge Road as well as a Vons grocery store. A 5 minute drive down Mission Gorge Road takes you to Mission Trails park – a large city park that makes you think you are in the mountains.. worth checking out.

Conclusion: For a clean, decent 2/2.5 * room at a great price (I got mine through Expedia) at a hotel with good staff that is obviously is trying hard, I say go for the Ramada Qualcomm.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank Valdiri
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Yes, we have done major work to this property and gland that our guest can see the changes we have made. The free wireless internet is now up and running with full strength. We changed our internet provider in May and also added wired access in a few rooms. There is no view from guest rooms, but for most people that is not a problem since they are never indoors visiting San Diego.
los angeles
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My family and I decided to spend a few days down in San Diego. Most of the hotels in the center of town were already booked. I have never stayed at a Super 8 before, and my opinion of the brand hadn't been too great. However, having no choice, we decided to go ahead and rent a room.
We were pleasantly surprised. For a Super 8, this hotel surpassed our expectations. The room was clean and comfortable. The front desk agent was very nice; We didn't have our next day planned and didn't know where to go. He gave us several ideas on what to do, and gave us maps of the area. The next day we couldn't fit everything into the same day! I guess that's good, now we have a reason to go back to San Diego. We will stay at this same hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Guest service, clean rooms
  • Disliked — that we checked out!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank steve1616
SanDiegoManager, Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, October 16, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to add a comment. We do our best to train our staff in customer service and importance of cleanliness, so our guests have a wonderful experience during their visits.
San Diego
Reviewed April 17, 2008

My friend and I stayed her 4/11/2008 for a Christian women's conference at nearby Cox Arena. We stayed here because most Hotels were booked and this was in walking distance of the trolley station which would easily shuttle us to SDSU without having to be in I8 rush hour traffic and deal with parking structure. The selection of danish, muffins, fruit at lobby was good. HOWEVER: My friend noticed hair in her bed, (We thought might be the maid's hair)
but upon further investigation, sheets were indeed dirty with yellow stains, etc. I wanted to go to the front desk and get my friend clean sheets (My bed was fine) but she wouldn't let me make an issue of it. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it may have been a stayover in which the beds were made but not changed and then only one bed was unmade when the last people checked out and only the one bed may have gotten cleaned by the maid on the day of checkout. Or they could have been stained (Bleach them then Super 8) However...I will NEVER stay in this motel again because that totally grosses ME out. If it was MY bed I definately would have walked down 3 flights of stairs for clean sheets! I did mention it to the front desk in the morning.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty Bed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank SanDiegoMom_2_6
We are extremely sorry you did not have a pleasant stay at our location. Having dirty sheets is not acceptable. Since, we have converted over to Ramada our brand standards have gone up. The staff has recently been re-trained on cleaning guest rooms so every house keeper is on the same page. The head housekeeper inspects each and every guest room to insure it’s perfect for the next guest.

Travelers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We check in before sunset around 4/5 pm, there was a supervisor & seems also the manager was behind the counter , he informed us that the property have been renovated & gave us room at the 3rd floor.

The room was OK accordingly to web information however then at night we heard sounds above bathroom like rats.. & more than 1 ! Anyway we realized its old building , guess it must be hard the get rid of rodent unless they teared the building! it was late anyway & we are tired just need place to sleep in therefore we didn't alert the management.

B'fast looks okay , with lots of options, seems they have fruit, cereal & croissant, we barely glance it just taking our coffee to go before hits the road

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — rats sound above the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
I can assure you that this property does not have any rodents. We do have an ourside professional company that comes every month to inspect and make sure we never get into this situation.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Our stay was May 31,2006. This was our first time to try a Super 8. I was a little apprehensive since it was rated as a lower end budget hotel. We were very comfortable and pleased with the accommodations for our family of 5. The room was very basic, average size, clean and well maintained. The breakfast was adequate and the pool looked clean. The staff was friendly. We liked the easy access to the trolley system just a 5 minute walk away! The only down side....this hotel is hard to find and the directions are hard to follow even with our GPS tracker. Diane

• Liked — Close to the trolley
  • Disliked — hard to find
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank huskertravelers
Thank you for the comment. This location is very convenient to people who are traveling without a car since the trolley station in literally 2 blocks away. Plus you can park at the hotel for free.
Benton, Arkansas
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I came for a wedding and was put up there. They had the bare requirements. Not going to complain too much.

• Liked — It was free and the location was great.
  • Disliked — No frills room; a little dirty
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank mojo404
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this review, October 20, 2008
We are currently in the process of converting over to a Ramada. We no longer will be just "Simple". We have already added a fitness center at the hotel. In a couple months we will also have a business center for the guest (computer/printer) and have a little mart in the lobby for the guest to purchase any snacks, drinks and souvenirs