“I highly recommend this hotel!”

Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East
Ranked #234 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My family and I decided to spend a few days down in San Diego. Most of the hotels in the center of town were already booked. I have never stayed at a Super 8 before, and my opinion of the brand hadn't been too great. However, having no choice, we decided to go ahead and rent a room.
We were pleasantly surprised. For a Super 8, this hotel surpassed our expectations. The room was clean and comfortable. The front desk agent was very nice; We didn't have our next day planned and didn't know where to go. He gave us several ideas on what to do, and gave us maps of the area. The next day we couldn't fit everything into the same day! I guess that's good, now we have a reason to go back to San Diego. We will stay at this same hotel. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank steve1616
SanDiegoManager, Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment. We do our best to train our staff in customer service and importance of cleanliness, so our guests have a wonderful experience during their visits.

There are newer reviews for Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East

Reviewed April 17, 2008

My friend and I stayed her 4/11/2008 for a Christian women's conference at nearby Cox Arena. We stayed here because most Hotels were booked and this was in walking distance of the trolley station which would easily shuttle us to SDSU without having to be in I8 rush hour traffic and deal with parking structure. The selection of danish, muffins, fruit at lobby was good. HOWEVER: My friend noticed hair in her bed, (We thought might be the maid's hair)
but upon further investigation, sheets were indeed dirty with yellow stains, etc. I wanted to go to the front desk and get my friend clean sheets (My bed was fine) but she wouldn't let me make an issue of it. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it may have been a stayover in which the beds were made but not changed and then only one bed was unmade when the last people checked out and only the one bed may have gotten cleaned by the maid on the day of checkout. Or they could have been stained (Bleach them then Super 8) However...I will NEVER stay in this motel again because that totally grosses ME out. If it was MY bed I definately would have walked down 3 flights of stairs for clean sheets! I did mention it to the front desk in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank SanDiegoMom_2_6
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2009

We are extremely sorry you did not have a pleasant stay at our location. Having dirty sheets is not acceptable. Since, we have converted over to Ramada our brand standards have gone up. The staff has recently been re-trained on cleaning guest rooms so every house keeper is on the same page. The head housekeeper inspects each and every guest room to insure it’s perfect for the next guest.

Reviewed March 19, 2008

We check in before sunset around 4/5 pm, there was a supervisor & seems also the manager was behind the counter , he informed us that the property have been renovated & gave us room at the 3rd floor.

The room was OK accordingly to web information however then at night we heard sounds above bathroom like rats.. & more than 1 ! Anyway we realized its old building , guess it must be hard the get rid of rodent unless they teared the building! it was late anyway & we are tired just need place to sleep in therefore we didn't alert the management.

B'fast looks okay , with lots of options, seems they have fruit, cereal & croissant, we barely glance it just taking our coffee to go before hits the road

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

I can assure you that this property does not have any rodents. We do have an ourside professional company that comes every month to inspect and make sure we never get into this situation.

Reviewed March 6, 2008

Our stay was May 31,2006. This was our first time to try a Super 8. I was a little apprehensive since it was rated as a lower end budget hotel. We were very comfortable and pleased with the accommodations for our family of 5. The room was very basic, average size, clean and well maintained. The breakfast was adequate and the pool looked clean. The staff was friendly. We liked the easy access to the trolley system just a 5 minute walk away! The only down side....this hotel is hard to find and the directions are hard to follow even with our GPS tracker. Diane

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank huskertravelers

Thank you for the comment. This location is very convenient to people who are traveling without a car since the trolley station in literally 2 blocks away. Plus you can park at the hotel for free.

Reviewed January 12, 2008

I came for a wedding and was put up there. They had the bare requirements. Not going to complain too much.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mojo404
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2008

We are currently in the process of converting over to a Ramada. We no longer will be just "Simple". We have already added a fitness center at the hotel. In a couple months we will also have a business center for the guest (computer/printer) and have a little mart in the lobby for the guest to purchase any snacks, drinks and souvenirs

Reviewed December 1, 2007

Our family stayed here for two nights in San Diego and had a great time. There were no problems with the room and the staff was very friendly. We would stay here agin next time we are in town.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SanDiegoManager, General Mangaer at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2008

Thank you for the wonderful comment. We try our best to accommodate our guest in every way possible and go above and beyond with our customer service.

Reviewed August 25, 2007

Where to start...First of all, we had trouble finding the place turned out we needed to go around the block and look for a little sign on the sidewalk. The parking is terrible. The building was under construction at the time. We checked in (I took notice the lobby was nothing like they had on their website) and went upstairs in a stinky, riggity old elevator to the 3rd floor. I requested a n/s room and they put us next to 2 rooms that were under construction and our room stunk of mold and smoke and was dusty from the construction. So they moved us to the end of the hallway; which we did not notice the big plastic tarp hanging at the end (it was dark when we arrived). The room was ok, but very drafty. I woke up to being cold, the bed was hard, hearing the plastic flapping in the wind, and the people shouting across the way. (I literally came home with a tremendous earache and had to go the doctor for an inner ear infection.) We complained to management when we checked out and they took a whole $20.00 off per night. (We stayed for 2 nights because there was something going on in town.) My boyfriend told them also that I was going home sick do the draftiness of the room (Oh, yea the heater forget it.) and all they could say was: are you sure she wasn't sick before." NO!!! I definitly would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. I would rather have spent the night in my car or at grandma's.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timm_tm

We did recently complete a renovation at this property- Brand new bathroom, granite sinks, new beds, new lobby. This property has had major improvements that it will be changing over to a Ramada brand in mid November