“Simple”

Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East
Ranked #234 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 12, 2008

I came for a wedding and was put up there. They had the bare requirements. Not going to complain too much.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mojo404
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2008

We are currently in the process of converting over to a Ramada. We no longer will be just "Simple". We have already added a fitness center at the hotel. In a couple months we will also have a business center for the guest (computer/printer) and have a little mart in the lobby for the guest to purchase any snacks, drinks and souvenirs

There are newer reviews for Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East

Reviewed December 1, 2007

Our family stayed here for two nights in San Diego and had a great time. There were no problems with the room and the staff was very friendly. We would stay here agin next time we are in town.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SanDiegoManager, General Mangaer at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2008

Thank you for the wonderful comment. We try our best to accommodate our guest in every way possible and go above and beyond with our customer service.

Reviewed August 25, 2007

Where to start...First of all, we had trouble finding the place turned out we needed to go around the block and look for a little sign on the sidewalk. The parking is terrible. The building was under construction at the time. We checked in (I took notice the lobby was nothing like they had on their website) and went upstairs in a stinky, riggity old elevator to the 3rd floor. I requested a n/s room and they put us next to 2 rooms that were under construction and our room stunk of mold and smoke and was dusty from the construction. So they moved us to the end of the hallway; which we did not notice the big plastic tarp hanging at the end (it was dark when we arrived). The room was ok, but very drafty. I woke up to being cold, the bed was hard, hearing the plastic flapping in the wind, and the people shouting across the way. (I literally came home with a tremendous earache and had to go the doctor for an inner ear infection.) We complained to management when we checked out and they took a whole $20.00 off per night. (We stayed for 2 nights because there was something going on in town.) My boyfriend told them also that I was going home sick do the draftiness of the room (Oh, yea the heater forget it.) and all they could say was: are you sure she wasn't sick before." NO!!! I definitly would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. I would rather have spent the night in my car or at grandma's.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank timm_tm
SanDiegoManager, Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2008

We did recently complete a renovation at this property- Brand new bathroom, granite sinks, new beds, new lobby. This property has had major improvements that it will be changing over to a Ramada brand in mid November

Reviewed July 24, 2007

This hotel is typical of Super 8 Hotels. It is clean, has a well stocked continental breakfast (although the first morning there was no fruit), and has a friendly and helpful staff. The location is somewhat isolated but has easy access off and on Interstate 8 and is within walking distance of the Grantville Trolley Station. There are restaurants and stores nearby in an older area of town. The distance (5 miles or so) from the main attractions in San Diego was not a deal breaker for us but maybe to some people.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Maya02
SanDiegoManager, General Manager at Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2009

We appreciate the positive feedback. We try to look at all positive and negative feedbacks to see how and where we can improve.

Reviewed July 23, 2007

My family and I stayed here for 4 days and 3 nights and had a wonderful experience. If there were previous issues with cars being broken into, I think that the property has installed a security fence that surrounds the parking lot may have helped. Check-in was easy and fast as was parking. I found the room to be above average as far as Super 8's go. No issues with the room equipment or cleanliness. I actually thought the bathroom was much better than most Super 8's. We faced the I-8 freeway but with the A/C on, we didn't hear any traffic. In fact, the motel looked pretty full but we never even heard any noise in the room above or outside our 2nd floor room. One day we decided to ride public transportation and the trolley station is a short 5 minute or less walk away. I have nothing negative to say about this Super 8 and would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank azjoe35
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We stayed here on a week-long vacation to San Diego. We were a little nervous after reading the reviews, but I must say we were pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and obviously recently renovated. Most hotels in the local area were around $200/night, so I would say for the price we paid, it was certainly worth it. The room was small, but our family of 4 (2 kids ages 9 and 7) managed just fine. The continental breakfast was pretty good and the staff was very friendly. The pool was tiny (limit of 15 people at a time). It's situated in the middle of the parking lot, which I didn't like. We didn't use the pool, so it didn't become an issue. The location was good, and our room was quiet, although occassionally we could hear the people above us stomping around. We didn't spend much time in the room...we were out and about all day and came back to the motel to shower and sleep. Our purpose was served. The towels are thicker than the ones at the Super 8 we stayed at in Carlsbad. I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank OntheGo2day
Reviewed June 20, 2007

My above average rating is based on the fact that I was able to book my stay through Hotwire at $39.00/night. Check out the retail cost to stay here and do a Hotwire search and if you get a 2 star result for an establishment that shows as being in the Kearny Mesa area and retails for what this place does, it is probably this motel. I would say that there isn't enough of a difference between this place and a Motel 6 to make it worth staying here if you have to pay full price.

This is a no frills establishment, but my room was clean and quiet. I don't know if the quiet was due to the room not being on the side closest to the traffic, but you can probably offset any traffic noise by simply turning the fan on on the air conditioner and creating white noise. The parking area in the back seemed a little secluded and creepy, but even though my room was on that side of the motel I tried to park in the front parking lot where I felt my (new) car was more visible and safer.

Forget the continental breakfast. I don't know...maybe there were more offerings earlier on than there were when I got there shortly after 9, but all that I found available were donuts, raisin bagels and cold cereal. They didn't even have a toaster for toasting the bagels.

The office staff were very friendly. I think that if you are satisified with simple, basic accomodations, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo