“July Bar Exam Takers - I love this Hotel”

Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #200 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
La Jolla, California, USA
“July Bar Exam Takers - I love this Hotel”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

First, I want to say that this Travelodge is NOT fancy. But their rates are very good for us Bar Exam Takers. I paid about $70/night. The hotel is ONLY SIX MINUTES FROM THE CONVENTION CENTER! 6 Minutes! They do have coffee downstairs and if you need more coffee for the little machine in the room they will give you extra bags.

And they want to cater to Bar Exam Takers for July. Here's my especially important part about my experience at this hotel. Like everyone, I would park in the underground parking garage at
the Convention Center. Then during lunch breaks (1.5 hours), I would head to the hotel (since it's only 6 minutes away) for some food and coffee. (by the way, the rooms also have little frig's in them). Anyway, during the break of the last day I headed to the hotel to get ready for the Performance Test in the afternoon. But when I left the parking garage, I turned my headlights on for safety as I drove out. So I get to the hotel, have my lunch and watch the clock. My system was to leave 20 minutes before check in time to make sure I'd have plenty of time for the Perf. Test instructions, etc. We were supposed to be seated at 1:30 for instructions. So I leave my room at 1:10. But when I get to my car in their parking lot the BATTERY WAS DEAD because I forgot to turn them off when I left the Convention Center. By this time 5 more minutes had passed. I thought: IT'S OVER! There was no time to call a taxi or to get AAA their for a jump start. I got out of my car in a state of total depression. But then saw the owner of the Travelodgee getting out of his car he had just parked a few spaces down from me. He had been friendly to me during my stay, so I called out "Ray, my battery is dead AND I have ten minutes to get to the Convention Center; could you give me a ride over there, please?" He immediately said, "Of course, get in and let's go!" He got me there in plenty of time to be seated by 1:30!
I was so grateful for his help, and wanted to wrtie a good recommendation for them. Inexpensive, helpful, coffee maker in room, plus frig, and only six minutes from the Convention Center. Bar Takers in July, make your reservations. Like I said, not fancy, but you'll enjoy it and it's close. Best of Luck on the July Exam. Mike

Room Tip: They have smoking and non-smoking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
TravelodgeSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
We really appreciate your review, but most of all Love hearing you had a wonderful time while staying with us. Thank you for pointing out how centrally located our property is, very convenient to San Diego Convention Center/Gaslamp. Like you said is only 6 minutes away if you drive or 20-25 min walking. Im glad you found a ride with the General Manager "Rahul".

Thank you and look forward to seeing you next time you come to San Diego.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Holgate, Oh
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Overall, my family and I enjoyed our stay. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros:
Friendly service
Good location
Cheap price
Clean, comfortable room
WiFi worked

Cons:
Not much for breakfast
Elevator not working (Nobody in my party needed it, but I could see it being a problem for others.)
Building itself could look nicer; seems very old.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments. We find all feed back valuable in learning how to better accommodate our guests. We are pleased to learn that you were happy with your rate, our convenient location and the friendly staff. We value all remarks, as they help us improve. Im sure next time you visit us you'll like the new colors we are choosing for our exterior hotel. We will be completely done with this renovation soon. We look forward to your return.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel. It wasn't the nicest place I've ever stayed, but wasn't the worst place by any stretch. Everything seemed clean that I saw. I didn't see any mice, bed bugs, or various other digusting things. It looked like they were doing some work to the hotel, as there were some baseboard/siding strips lying in the hallways. The parking lot was small very, but I didn't have any issues with finding a spot. I backed into the same small spot both nights, it worked.

I can't say much for the neighborhood as I wasn't there long, and I really didn't spend much time at all in the hotel aside from when I was sleeping. It was a short drive (or taxi ride) to downtown and the Gaslamp Quarter though, so that was a plus for me. The front desk people seemed nice - no issues there. Overall, a fairly average stay. I'd most likely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
We are so glad that your recent stay was enjoyable, and that there were no problems. Thank you for pointing out about our renovation and how close to Downtown/Gaslamp our property is.
We appreciate you for taking the time to write us a review and give us some feedback, we hope to see you again soon!

Phoenix
Reviewed March 16, 2013

we enjoyed the stay. the staff was outstanding in friendliness and very helpful. the room and bath were extremely clean and pristine. the price of the room was outstanding.
we will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
We are so glad that your recent stay was enjoyable, and that there were no problems. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and give us some feedback, we hope to see you again soon!