“Meh”
Review of Nobu

Nobu
Reserve with OpenTable
Nobu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #108 of 4,994 Restaurants in San Diego
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: L Street
Transit: Gaslamp
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Lets keep this simple: I'm from NYC, you're NOBU... Entire staff, delightfully pleasant and attentive. Sushi chef, we say at the sushi bar, friendly, fun, very helpful; food...meh... Salmon avocado roll, delicious, crunchy yellowtail: not crunchy and rather fishy; wasabi pepper beef skewer: bland and chewy; home made ginger our chef brought us was a yummy treat as were the jungle peaches. If it wasn't Nobu I'd give 3 maybe even 3.5 stars fire over all decent food, nice presentation and great staff but as I said in the beginning, you're Nobu and I'm from NYC

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We ate here as a group (party of 12), and they offered us the private room at no charge. Sushi was very good, good selection of wine. Service was just great and made the whole experience very pleasant. Only remark would be that the trays used to serve the "group" (shared) sushi seem cheap and definitely not in line with the ambiance of the restaurant.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Last evening I had the pleasure of a group of colleagues including some guests from Japan. These same guest from Japan hosted my last year in Tokyo and I did not want to disappoint them. Nobu did not disappoint them or anyone else at the table.

Michael Paul was our server. We were taken care of like honored guests. Michael Paul is a smart, hip young man with an expansive knowledge of the Nobu menu and its intended experience. Michael Paul managed the group of six with ease - he made some excellent recommendations including the black fish as an appetizer along with some variations on traditional sushi and sashimi. The uni (I hope that is spelled correctly!) is sourced locally and it is as good as any I have had anywhere including Tokyo.

Overall, we had a very enjoyable experience at Nobu. If everyone at the restaurant is as well trained as Michael Paul, many Nobu clients are leaving very satisfied. Nobu lived up to its fine reputation. My friends from Japan were still thanking me this morning for the wonderful time we had the night before at Nobu.

Best Wishes, Colin A. Burns

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

After a long day at the convention center, I really enjoyed a relaxing meal at Nobu. I had booked a table just before rush hour and was able take my time with ordering and savouring the menu. Every dish was perfect and the staff were very attentive.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We are not sushi novices (spent weeks in Japan and eat sushi regularly), and have to say that Nobu was a disappointment. We had a variety of sushi and sashimi. The sushi salmon was superb, softshell crab excellent, and yellow tail fantastic. But we also had a disappointing "new style sashimi salmon" swimming in sesame seed oil, overpowering the fine fish. The "live octopus" was not as fresh as it should have been. We questioned the server about its state, and she brushed us off with an empty reassurance that it was alive recently.

As for drinks, we highly recommend the ojii san cocktail. But no draft Japanese beers is a sin for a real sushi house.