“Decent Inn for the price”

Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Ranked #38 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Mountain View, California
“Decent Inn for the price”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Pros:
The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable.
Free wi-fi and breakfast.
The pool is nice but I wish they had a hot tub (after long days at Legoland and Seaworld).
Good value.

Cons:
Beware the inn is located in a "not so nice" neighborhood. So be careful when you go out at night. I went to CVS (9 p.m.) that is half block away and saw drug dealing and beggars in the parking lot.
No laundry facility onsite.
Not enough parking if you come back late at night (doing laundry offsite)
It will be nice if the maid will refill the shampoo bottle (we were out the last day of the stay).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BW-Lamplighter-Inn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Rita,

We are glad your family stayed with us, and reviewd our hotel. I want to apologize for not properly communicating the location of our onsite guest laundry, it can be easily missed since it is towards the back of the property. The owner and I have discussed moving it to a more central location, and that is in our future plan.

As a long time resident of the SDSU area, I have always felt safe walking around, however, I agree that in any larger city your advice is prudent in most any location other than rural. Fortunately I can say that we have a very safe property that has an excellent record with families and school groups alike.

Thank you again for reviewing our hotel, our goal is to exceed our guest's expecations in all areas, and if there is ever a concern or a question we definitely will do our best to accomodate whatever the issue.

Len Regan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Spokane Valley, Washington, United States
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a great time at this Hotel very nice clean and friendly staff great location to the attractions, Stores and food! Our family had a great time swimming and the Breafest was a great way to start off the day!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Samantha,

We appreciate your nice comments, and are glad your family had a pleasant stay. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, as all feedback is important to us. Being a small hotel we pride ourselves on focusing on service, quality and value, and guests who do their research tend to agree. We definitely would like to see your family again on a return trip to San Diego.

Kind Regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I found out why this place got such good reviews. I spent three days there while going to a meeting downtown. I wanted a good value, and quiet so I could review my meeting notes at night. I wasn't interested in going out to eat, I wanted a kitchen to do it myself, again because of time. It was a 15 minute trip at night from downtown, but it was in a nice area, and the price was excellent for what I got. The kitchen was a microwave, oven-range, and full frig and freezer, plus pans and utensils.The bed was quite good, and it didn't hurt that everything was essentially new. It was the usual breakfast in these places, but again quite pleasant and well done. The staff couldn't have been more accomodating. And the little things: pretty upscale bathroom soap and shampoo, great lcd tv, good wireless, and a very thoughtful touch: plug outlets built into the table adjacent to the bed. And spacious drawer space for people with more belongings than I had. They have a nice poo, and 24 hour coffee at the office. I can't remember when I left a place without even any minor annoyance, but that was so here, so I'm afraid I have no suggestions for improving this operation. They did everything right! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Only some rooms have kitchens, and I believe they vary in what they have. I made my reservation ear...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BW-Lamplighter-Inn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Jack B.

It is hard not to blush after reading your review of your stay, but I will get over it. It is particularly pleasing that you made use of the added outlets we recently mounted to the bedside area. This was one of those ideas that came from listening to our guests, and responding to their needs. Again, thank you for letting us know how we are doing. We hope you to see you again on a future stay in San Diego.

Proud General Manager
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here for a brief stay to look at prospective colleges with our son. Selected property for proximity to schools, freeways and other landmarks we were interested in. Also wanted to find a place that was not expensive given the short period of time we would actually be there. I read many reviews before our trip and really didn't see any negatives for this hotel. Our experience was wonderful. Came in on early flight and toured SDSU. Able to check in to one of our rooms very early and the second one for our boys next door was done well before check in and staff worked to make it available as soon as possible. Accommodations are very nice. Beds are great. Location is excellent. Also toured USD and some colleges up north and location was perfect access. Breakfast is nice. Staff is amazingly professional and friendly from the general manager to the front desk to the maid to the groundskeeper. Value is excellent. Walking distance to good restaurants and variety stores for necessities. Pool very nice. Will definitely return and would recommend the property without reservation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BW-Lamplighter-Inn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Ranger4441,

It is with great pleasure that I have the opportunity to share this review with our staff. We are happy you chose our hotel, and were able to acommodate your needs during that time. Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable rooms, with genuine hospitality. It is gratifying to know for your family we succeeded in doing just that.

Proud General Manager
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We chose this inn because it's location to SDSU. We have stayed several times to move in/move out and visit our son who attends SDSU. The inn/motel is well maintained with very clean motel-style rooms and landscaded grounds. They have a complimentary continental breakfast with juice, yogurt, bagels, hard boiled eggs, coffee and cereal served in a nice room or grab and go. Internet connection and parking are Free! The staff is helpful and friendly. On our last stay we left a toiletry bag in the room, we didn't notice the item missing after retuning home for several days. I called the inn, the young lady who answered the phone was able to quickly tell me they had the item and she would ask her manager to call me to arrange return shipping. I received a call and email from the manager 2 days later with tracking information as he had shipped the item that morning free of charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BW-Lamplighter-Inn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Jackie,

Thank you for this fantastic review, we appreciate your choosing us for your visit to SDSU and the area. It was our pleasure to host your family, and to return your left behind item. It is always great to hear from our guests about how we are doing. From the entire team, we thank you, and hope to see you again soon.

Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This inn is well maintained with immaculate rooms, nicely landscaped grounds and a pristine heated pool. They offer a complimentary continental breakfast with juice, bagels, hard boiled eggs, coffee and cereal to start your day. Internet connection and parking are free. Even though the inn is located on a busy street, there isn't much noise. The staff was helpful and friendly. Plus, it's only a 15-20 minute straight drive down Interstate 8 to the beaches if you don't go during rush hour.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are further from the road noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BW-Lamplighter-Inn, General Manager at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Greeting Happy Traveler,

We appreciate your staying with us, and I look forward to sharing this review with the entire team. TripAdvisor is all about guest satisfaction and we tend to rate highly with guests who want to get the most for their dollar, value cleanliness, appreciate genuine hospitality and have done their research. We look forward to hopefully seeing you on a return visit to San Diego.

Kind Regards,

La Paz, Mexico
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Chose this hotel because the location was convenient. From the moment I stepped into the lobby, I was impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of the hotel staff.....above and beyond expectations. On a scale of 1 to 10 the entire staff would get at least a 12. I needed an extra night and got it with no problems. Had a large room with a full kitchen. Comfortable bed and big screen TV

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TexasCajun46
YoursinHospitalitySD, Guest Service Agent at Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear texascajun46,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with our on-line community.We strive to give superior service to our guests and are glad that we succeeded in doing this for you. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your kitchen suite and that we were able to extend your stay without a problem.

We truly appreciate your compliments, and hope to serve you again!

Michelle