We stayed here for 3 nights in mid March. Arriving late from a long transatlantic flight into LAX. Easy to find the hotel and the staff were most welcoming. Great to have some coffee on arrival!!
The hotel was busy but just enough parking spaces for all even though they could be tight if you are parked next to one of those "US monster trucks".
The room was on the second floor and was a good size, small bathroom, with basin at the end of the bedroom area. Very clean throughout the stay. I had seen some comments about the "thin walls" and yes it is true. Seem to be some people waking up at 6am having showers! However, two very comfortable Queen beds and one of the best continental breakfasts on our tour of CA which was always topped up with goodies. The kids are now converted to waffles in the morning.
Very nice pool which could have benefitted from having a hot tub, but that is getting picky. The staff were very helpful with ideas on where to go and provided directions. Plenty of leaflets in the lobby and there is a PC with internet access which was very useful.
Not much in terms of restaurants within close walking distance, but a short drive up El Cajon Blvd we found Woodstock's Pizza which became a favourite.
There are plenty of shops within short driving distance to stock up with beers and refreshments and we made good use of the fridge in the room.
I would classify this as an excellent Motel in the suburbs of San Diego. If you are looking for a 5 star Hotel in the city centre with room service, bell boys and all the trimmings of luxury then this will not fit the bill.
It is located close to the main highway so excellent access for trips into Downtown San Diego and the brilliant Zoo. One tip is to park at the Old Town for free and get the Trolley into San Diego where kids travel for free. This trolley route goes onwards to Tijuana and makes for a great day out.
It was also very good starting point for our next stop in Anza-Borrego via the excellent DZ Akins deli which was located just before we joined the highway
Our family of four had a great stay and would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in the San Diego area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites (a AAA 2-diamond hotel) is conveniently located 3/4 miles from San Diego State University, and only 15 minutes from Downtown, the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park. Many of the rooms include kitchen facilities, making this the ideal place for an extended stay. Amenities include: complimentary expanded continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi and parking, and heated outdoor pool, Children 12 and under stay free. Pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Lamplighter Inn And Suites At Sdsu Hotel San Diego
- Best Western Lamplighter Hotel
- Best Western San Diego
- San Diego Best Western