“DELICIOUS”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Wow, never had anything like it! I had the salmon burrito and it was delicious! The more I bit into it, the more I enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed they don't have the lobster burritos for a time being since everyone raves about those. But next time, I'll be back to try them for sure! My bf had the surf and turf burrito and he enjoyed it. But I enjoyed my salmon burrito better. I really like all three salsas. I like to mix them together. The pickled carrots were delicious as well! I like to use the lime juice on my burrito as well and it gives it extra flavor!

There are newer reviews for El Zarape

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have lived in San Diego for 10+ years. If a visitor stopped and asked me, "Where can I find good Mexican food in San Diego," I would send them to El Zarape.

It is a dive! It doesn't feel extremely clean (the bathroom is horrid), it is cramped, and always busy. However, it is a staple of San Diego residents who live in the central region.

They have a huge variety of burritos, and if you order a grilled chicken burrito, you actually get good chunks of grilled white meat (not the grisly, finely diced mystery stuff in most Mexican dives).

The green sauce and the thick red sauce are favorites of my entire family.

Enjoy!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went to El Zarape with my family tonight after reading the great reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp...I was not disappointed! I was looking for good, traditional Mexican food while on vacation in San Diego, and I got it :)

My husband and I shared combo #3 which was a "Suft and Turf Burrito" and a fish taco. It also came with rice and beans. It was excellent!! The portion was huge; I never could have eaten that all by myself ;) One of my kids had a cheese quesadilla, and the other a bowl of rice with chicken. (The rice and chicken was not on the menu, but when I asked for it, it wasn't a problem) I tried both meals and they were also good. The quesadilla was enormous! I tried the medium salsa from the salsa bar and it was great...fresh and flavourful!

I definitely recommend you try this place if your looking for some good Mexican food!

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I went here based on good food reviews. While it looked good, the food had almost no flavor, should of went to Taco Bell or Del Taco.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

There are 2 El Zarape Restaurants in San Diego, both affiliated. The El Zarape on Park Blvd. is very small with a few tables and excellent Mexican food. The El Zarape at 3201 Adams Ave. is a larger, very authentic Mexican Restaurant. Tortillas are handmade on the premises, and the selection of both Mexican Food, tequila, and beers is superb. We ordered a bacon wrapped filet mignon which I would not usually order in a Mexican restaurant, and it was the best I had ever eaten. Highly recommend the Park Blvd. location for take-out, and the Adams Avenue location for a casual, authentic in restaurant dining experience.

3  Thank Nancy J