“Food could be better”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I went here based on good food reviews. While it looked good, the food had almost no flavor, should of went to Taco Bell or Del Taco.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

There are 2 El Zarape Restaurants in San Diego, both affiliated. The El Zarape on Park Blvd. is very small with a few tables and excellent Mexican food. The El Zarape at 3201 Adams Ave. is a larger, very authentic Mexican Restaurant. Tortillas are handmade on the premises, and the selection of both Mexican Food, tequila, and beers is superb. We ordered a bacon wrapped filet mignon which I would not usually order in a Mexican restaurant, and it was the best I had ever eaten. Highly recommend the Park Blvd. location for take-out, and the Adams Avenue location for a casual, authentic in restaurant dining experience.

3  Thank Nancy J
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Came here with some family for lunch. We got the variety of tacos, burritos, chimichanga's, salad's and soups. Everyone was beyond pleased. Personally the beef burrito was perfectly cooked. The beef just fell apart.

I would hight recommend this little gem. Give the chicken chimichanga a try! You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank BuddaTravler
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I'm not sure how this place gets such good reviews. I love Mexican food and decided to try El Zarape to see what the hoopla was. Still don't know. To start with, the person at the counter (there is no table service) was pretty disinterested and impatient. I was okay with that because there were a lot of people waiting, so I was trying to be quick. There was only one table available, by the window, which I thought would be nice, but it was right next to the self-serve drink machine and I was at the end of the table, where I got splashed several times with soda. Then food came. I had the grilled mahi-mahi tacos for $7.25. They came and they were dry and almost flavorless. The beans were good, but the rice was lukewarm and bland. We got chips, which were neither heated nor salted. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Two days earlier, I ate at a place in Coronado and for $9 had their fish tacos, which were flavorful and filled with red cabbage, shredded cheese, salsa, and creamy dressing, all on a hot plate. For the extra $1.75 I would definitely go for the latter.

1  Thank RottHound
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is by far the best Mexican joint in San Diego, I was so lucky to be taken here! The shrimp diablo burrito is amazing, and so are the scallop tacos. They also have a huge variety of vegetarian dishes, and are very accommodating for changes to the menu. The staff are super friendly, and if you are lucky to find a table, the atmosphere is perfect.

1  Thank Blake P