“A Nice Hotel in Mira Mesa Area”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Diego North
Ranked #57 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We spent a night at the Carlson Country Inn. The room was clean and well maintained, though a bit cozy for our family of three. Both beds were a bit on the too-soft side. It would be nice in rooms with two beds if one were firmer and the other softer -- at least for our family! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was only average. Pool was pleasantly heated and was a good relief for parents with an active youngster in tow.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Rachael M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Diego North, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to see that you were able to enjoy your over all stay with us. We hope were able to take advantage of our excellent centrally located location within Northern San Diego and the Downtown area, complementary hot breakfast buffet, and other free amenities. Once again, thank you for the great review and we look forward to once again being your hotel of choice the next time you return to the San Diego area!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My last stay in a Country Inn & Suites was in 2011 in Orlando, FL. The Orlando location was a good value, but it earned its 2 stars purely on value. I got a good deal, but the staff was apathetic, rooms were dated, key card problems (had to wait in line and have it scanned each time I returned) and felt like the pet friendly location was not very clean. This left a sour taste in my mouth.

The Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Diego North was the opposite in every way. We arrived at the hotel to check-in at about 3. We were greeted by Nadia who was very friendly and helpful. She checked us in quickly and let us know about all the amenities offered at the hotel. The lobby is very nice and we were offered complimentary coffee and flavored water. There were also cookies available in the afternoon that were very good. Lots of little touches that I have never received even at hotels that cost 5 times as much. We were given a gift bag with a couple bottles of water and other treats.

We arrived in our room and found it to be very clean and updated. The beds were comfortable. The room had a refrigerator and microwave. We had a nice view of the mountains on the horizon which offered a nice view to wake up to in the mornings.

The breakfast area is big and clean. Each day they offered waffles, yogurt, fruit, juice, milk and cereal. In addition they offered eggs, sausage or bacon, and potatoes. The staff was very friendly here as well. They even offered to run my son's sippy cup through the washing machine for us.

The location was fantastic for us as we had a rental car. We were only a short drive away from La Jolla, Torrey Pines and Scripps Park. The hotel is also only about 20 minutes away from the San Diego Zoo and the other downtown activities.

The pool was supposedly heated, but still a little colder than I would like. The hot tub was as expected. The entire area was nice with towels available outside.

Washing and drying a load of clothes is also accessible and very affordable. It was less than $2 to wash and $2 to dry.

Every time we came back to the hotel my daughter inquired at the front desk if the pool was open. Each time she was answered very politely that the pool was open and did not close until 10PM. This kind of excellent customer service goes a long way to increase how pleasant a stay is for us. In combination with an excellent breakfast and clean rooms this is a hotel we will definitely stay in again should we find our way back to San Diego!

2  Thank nc66uky

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Country Inn & Suites on Tripadvisor. We are all very excited to hear your stay with us was enjoyable. We strive to provide excellent customer service and hope to leave a lasting good impression, from our quiet centrally located location between Northern San Diego to the Downtown areas and all of our amenities we offer, free of charge. Thank you for your kind comments for Nadia and our entire staff we will be sure to recognize them for their excellent efforts to provide a memorable stay. We hope you choose us the next time you venture to San Diego. Have a great day.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed one night. The rooms are spacious, and I like the beds, all my family have a great sleep, And their office chair is really nice too. Also the breakfast buffet is really great. Would definitely come back for another weekend getaway.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wayne L

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed over the weekend to attend the Miramar Air show which unfortunately was cancelled . ( This location would have been perfect for this.it is right off the 805 ) We found this to be a GREAT hotel. Customer service was excellent, rooms were clean with great updated décor , beds were comfortable, pool was a good size and heated to a comfortable temp, Jacuzzi was nice and hot, breakfast was good (scrambled eggs, seasoned potatoes, sausage, breads, homemade waffles, juice, coffee, tea, oatmeal, fresh fruit), there were homemade cookies put out @ 5 p.m. for free (my kids liked this) coffee and tea always out for free, a beautiful fire going all the time with comfy couches and a lending library. (which even had books for the little ones). I think this hotel must be about 5-20 min away from almost every activity you could do in San Diego. We ate at the Chili's in the parking lot which was good and convenient. Sunday we drove to La Jolla Cove and I would totally recommend making a day of this. There were a lot of seals right there on the beach and in the water swimming with the tourists. VERY COOL. Only recommendation I had for the staff was to put a fire pit out by the pool, now that would be perfect!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor over the pool which I liked.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Country Inn & Suites on Tripadvisor. We are all very excited to hear your stay with us was enjoyable. We strive to provide excellent customer service and hope to leave a lasting good impression, from our quiet centrally located location between Northern San Diego to the Downtown areas and all of our amenities we offer, free of charge. We hope you choose us the next time you venture to San Diego. Have a great day.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I spent two days, recently, at this property for a business trip. From the moment I checked in until the moment I started my car and departed I was treated very, very well. I was welcomed by the staff and every need I had was met with a smile and satisfaction. Shawn Phillips and his team made sure that I felt at home, which I did. I was able to work from my room, partake of a nice (free) breakfast, and they even left a "gift bag" in front of my door when I forgot to remove my "Do Not Disturb" sign. The bag contained towels, toiletries, coffee, and extra cups to make sure that I was not inconvenienced. I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton and they never thought to extend that special touch to me as their guests. Kudos to CI&S! I will definitely be returning to my new "Home away from home."

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are quiet and off the beaten path. Great for working.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Rachael M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Diego North, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Country Inn & Suites on Tripadvisor. We are all very excited to hear your stay with us was enjoyable. We strive to provide excellent customer service and hope to leave a lasting good impression, from our quiet centrally located location between Northern San Diego to the Downtown areas and all of our amenities we offer, free of charge. Thank you for your kind comments for Shawn and our entire staff we will be sure to recognize them for their excellent efforts to provide a memorable stay. We hope you choose us the next time you venture to San Diego. Have a great day.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We took our daughter to college and stayed in this hotel. What a wonderful surprise! Room is good size and clean. Staff is very helpful. We had a bit time and guest service agent Nadia guided us to the San Diego Cove beach to see seals. We had such a good time staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us, during this exciting beginning to collage for your daughter. We are very happy to see that you were able to enjoy your stay at our hotel with us. It is great to see, not only were we able to meet your expectations but to raise them for future stays. I am glad we were able to provide you with enjoyable signs with in the San Diego Area. Once again thank you for the great review as we look forward to once again being your hotel of choice the next time you return to the San Diego area!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I cannot complain, the service was great, the room clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good as well, breads, fresh pancakes, fruit, yoghurt, cereal... There was also plenty of parking outside. I give it 5 Stars!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business