“Impeccable Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, AZ
“Impeccable Service”
Reviewed September 10, 2007

The US Grant has it figured out. Service is impeccable and they seem to make it look effortless. The property itself is very nice. Gorgeous lobby and comfortable rooms. Do understand, this is a downtown hotel so the rooms are not massive. They do not have a pool (I think you can use the Horton Plaza Hotel pool though, I am not sure), the gym is in a basement (although the equipment is quite good) and I believe the spa services are done off site.

But if you want something, anything, they will get it for you. Parking is a challenge downtown so I recommend using valet ($30 or so a day). We got particularly great valet/bell service from Michael (or Mike, I am not sure, tall thin guy, really did great by us).

The bed might be the most comfortable I have ever slept in and I have traveled a fair amount. Very nice bathrooms, especially considering this is an older property. Towels, etc were all great. I will stop with that, just assume all of the fine finishing touches are in place at the US Grant and you will get the idea.

We had one dinner in the restaurant and found the atmosphere of the room to be great and service was great. The food, sadly, was average. I think we just got an unlucky break with a cut of meat. We did not tell mgmt, shame on us.

Overall a great place. If you are a discriminating hotel guest the US Grant will not let you down.

• Liked — Service!
  • Disliked — Business Center
2 Thank AmberBock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Stayed 2 nights in a king bedded room for business.

Excellent: Décor

Good: Staff. Bed. Desk lighting.

OK: Location. Close to the mall but close to eyesores. Internet. Elevators.

So So: Housekeeping is not consistent. Lighting by door is poor. Clogged sink drain was fixed but the maintenance staff left the clog blob of hair, etc. in the toilet. I guess it was to let me know they were there and they had fixed it. Room had view of the transient hotels across the street which was at times more entertaining than what was on TV. Lots of street noise (people, cars, trucks, etc.). Shame on the big paint drops on the floor in the bathroom and sloppy paint job in the hallways (paint on the elevator lights, etc.) that make you wonder if they were rushed finishing up.

Bad: Trucks would idle outside my window until the wee hours of the morning so if you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs.

FYI: The coffeemaker is hidden in the credenza in the entry way.

This hotel has very good bones and will improve with age. When the neighbourhood catches up with it it will be a big plus.

• Liked — style
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Bo94114
scarsdale, ny
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We arrived at the US Grant to find a gorgeous deluxe room. Very well appointed. As we were virtuoso clients we were treated to some welcome gifts like a cheese platter which was quite welcome after a very long flight from NY. The location of this property in the heart of the Gas Lamp district was terrific as we were there to see a San Diego Padres game. The hotel was in walking distance of the park.

The bathroom was the biggest surprise with the most amazing shower. Large enough for a family of four...

We had lunch at the Grant Grill on the main floor of the hotel which was scrumptious. The service was amazing.

They have a very nice exercise room, but have limited equipment but we never had to wait.

I recommend this hotel highly...

• Liked — The rooms were large
  • Disliked — Could have used a better way of dusting
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank mrskahuna
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Spent two nights over a recent weekend. The staff throughout the stay were unusually friendly and helpful, which is obviously the result of some great training. The location of the hotel, right on the edge of the Gaslamp District, is superb with many great restaurants and shopping choices within steps (including Horton Plaza mall which is directly across the street).

We stayed in a “Landmark Suite” (which is one of their mid-sized suites). The suite was pretty impressive with modern and comfortable furnishings and amenities including a Bose stereo, separate living room, modern marble bathroom, etc. I would estimate it to be around 500 sq. ft. The room decor was fresh and done in an "old meets new" motif with traditional style moldings and carpets juxtaposed against modern halogen lighting and flat panel TVs, etc. Due to the location of the hotel, the view from the room was non-existent (not surprising). Strangely, despite the recent $50 million plus renovation, the room windows are of the old single-pane variety whereas modern double glazing would be helpful in cutting out street noise.

The lobby is beautiful but didn't knock our socks off. I think they could have made it truly spectacular by restoring the old wooden surfaces and Corinthian columns to their original 1910 glory rather than cladding the columns in beige marble and painting the carved tops in a blue distressed looking metallic finish of questionable taste, as they have done. As a result, the lobby, with its huge glittering crystal chandeliers, has an almost Vegas-like grandeur without the historical authenticity that it rightly deserves. Overall though, they have created a modern and comfortable hotel while retaining some of the historical charm of the building. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of pool
3 Thank tjk1976
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I got this hotel on a deal on Sky Auction.com. My husband and I spent 4 days there and enjoyed every minute of it. The service of this hotel is wonderful. All the staff is very friendly and helpful, some of the best service I have ever had in a hotel and I have stayed some nice places. The Grant Grill is pricey but it was the best food I had all my vacation, the chicken hash is not to be missed. If you like beer, the yard house is right next store and it has the largest draft beer selection in the world. Overall this hotel met all expectations. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed August 2007
LA, CA
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Design-wise, the hotel lobby and restaurant/lounge are nice and decent, but not breathtaking or cutting edge. That's why it's surprising when you walk into your hotel room. It's quite gorgeous, as well as the bathroom. Very nicely decorated, the painted headboard is a nice touch. Some might find the room size a tad bit small, but we had no complaints.

The location is perfectly situated in downtown San Diego. Pretty much everything (Gaslamp, Petco Park, Convention Center, etc) is within walking distance. However this becomes a problem in the morning when the downtown rush hour traffic wakes you up. The hotel's not very high, so it's very difficult to escape the noise.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The street noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank edwardla
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 10, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed there for 2 nights last weekend. I initially chose it for it's history and recent remodel. The hotel is smack dab in middle of gaslamp district with plenty of shops, restaurants, clubs within walking distance. Trolley and bus stops are steps away from hotel doors. Hotel itself is gorgeous! **Ask concierge to view the hotel's archive photgraph book.**
I booked the romatic getaway package for about $300 per night. This was supposed to include king bed room with view, floral arrangement, champagne, and breakfast up to $50. The room itself was fabulous and I was pleasantly surprised as it looked much like the pictures from hotel website. It was also clean and well decorated. It was extremely quiet and I never once heard anyone next door - as is usually the case in hotel rooms.
Now here were my issues: The room had a view of parking structure and a condemned graffitied building behind that. Shortly after we arrived to our room, a maid entered without knocking to ask about turn down service (which I thought odd). The bottle of champagne was probably one of the worst tasting champagnes I've ever had. I certaintly wasn't expecting Dom but I did expect a nice Verve or Piper. The flowers didn't arrive until the second day - halfway through our trip. The breakfast was excellent. I highly recommend their version of hash browns - it's flavored with shitake and the subtle flavor of mushroom infused into the potatoes is very tasty.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would most likely return to visit this landmark hotel.

• Liked — Room was large, clean and nicely decorated.
  • Disliked — No bathtub and no view.
1 Thank asiangirl007